Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need to crash the world economy to save the planet, since shipping is only a small part of the total:
(Environmental impact of shipping - Wikipedia)

Biofuel is already a huge industry, although I personally don't like it too much. Maybe we'll be able to generate fuel for ships (and spaceships) from just CO2 and water: Converting CO2 into usable energy.
The same wiki states, 3.5 to 4 percent of all climate change emissions are caused by shipping, primarily carbon dioxide. The discrepancy is because,'Of total global air emissions, shipping accounts for 18 to 30 percent of the nitrogen oxide and 9 percent of the sulphur oxides'.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm an investor in tesla and have been lurking here long enough to know there are a lot of exceptionally smart contributors. I don't know where best to post this off topic question but looking for feedback (and influence if I'm right). We here all know that climate change is virtually the only thing that matters, but most favor free trade. It seems to me that free trade means massive petroleum consumpsion by ships for which there is no better alternative. As a sailor I know that's not going to happen. Short range ships can be electrified but not those crossing oceans. I see no way to solve climate change but to manufacture locally, like the coming Shanghai tesla factory, and cut back exponentially on trade. So although I despise much about trump, are not his tariffs an environmentalist wish come true?

Moderator edit: Moved this post out of "Market Action" into here....thank you for initiating the question and welcome to TMC.

Shipping is the most efficient form of transportation.
Road transportation is responsible for the vast majority of transportation emissions.

If we can't succeed with road transportation, shipping and aviation won't matter.

If we can succeed with road transportation, it will have implications for other modes, constrained by energy density.

We're already seeing the marginal adoption of electrified transportation and that's only likely to grow.

The same wiki states, 3.5 to 4 percent of all climate change emissions are caused by shipping, primarily carbon dioxide. The discrepancy is because,'Of total global air emissions, shipping accounts for 18 to 30 percent of the nitrogen oxide and 9 percent of the sulphur oxides'.
The other part is that shipping uses bottom of the barrel horrible oil - not gasoline or even diesel. I'd think even converting ships to LNG would be a good start.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
So, are we all agreed that we should support not only tariffs but across the board import taxes in the US and other countries, in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and for other social benefits of buying local? (Inviting argument)
I actually prefer regulation to taxes. "Market based" solutions don't work, when it comes to environment.

Shipping is the most efficient form of transportation.
Road transportation is responsible for the vast majority of transportation emissions.

If we can't succeed with road transportation, shipping and aviation won't matter.

If we can succeed with road transportation, it will have implications for other modes, constrained by energy density.

We're already seeing the marginal adoption of electrified transportation and that's only likely to grow.
Agreed, one implication of local energy production will be eliminating all the shipping of fossil fuel. Only Tesla will really move the needle.

So, are we all agreed that we should support not only tariffs but across the board import taxes in the US and other countries, in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and for other social benefits of buying local? (Inviting argument)
The problem is that makes products which require imported materials, (such as batteries and EV's), more expensive, thus delaying their adoption.

Reactions: EVNow and EinSV
Model 3's in Europe Model 3 Owners Club on Twitter
47210076_10156290323918978_3851812905406169088_n-jpg.18435

On the economy of crew in large merchant vessels:

This is the Luther Little
Luther_Little1917.jpg
who, along with sister ship Hesper, was launched in 1917 as the last of the four-masted schooners for hauling lumber and coal. Each was slightly over 200 feet long and for each, for voyages from New England to France, the full complement of crew was.....nine!

And here are she and Hesper as I knew them growing up. This was their ignominious fate: run aground and abandoned in the 1930s in Wiscasset, Maine.
luther-little-and-hesper-shel-perkins.jpg

Seeing the so-called "Wiscasset Schooners" was a ritual of my boyhood - Dad had spent his early years nearby and we would go there each summer. Once or twice we scrambled aboard Hesper, in the background in the above photo.

After Dad died and I took Jenny here as part of our full-circle solace trip, I cried and cried to discover the schooners gone - and learned they finally presented too much of a hazard and were dismantled in 1998.

Last edited:
Certainly a topic worthy of GENERAL Discussion (get it?) MAJOR Debate on Military trucks? CAPTAIN Obvious front'n'center? lol ;)

Cheers!
I was wondering if a truck will use the X platform, or be built on an entirely new larger platform. The X platform would be big enough for a Honda Ridgeline size truck, but maybe not a Silverado or F150. This would save on development costs, but a new larger platform could be used to also build a Yukon, Escalade, Navigator class SUV with 500 mile range. Selling 25,000 Escalade class SUV's could give Tesla a significant share on the most lucrative market segments. Some people might not like Tesla in this ultralux segment of behemoth SUV's, but it would likely be the safest consumer vehicle on the market and 25,000 of them at 150-200k a pop, is a lot of cash flow. I'm not sure what design and development resources they have, everything comes down to opportunity costs. The Semi, Y, Roadster and Pickup must be a pretty big load on the design and development teams.

I was wondering if a truck will use the X platform, or be built on an entirely new larger platform. The X platform would be big enough for a Honda Ridgeline size truck, but maybe not a Silverado or F150. This would save on development costs, but a new larger platform could be used to also build a Yukon, Escalade, Navigator class SUV with 500 mile range. Selling 25,000 Escalade class SUV's could give Tesla a significant share on the most lucrative market segments. Some people might not like Tesla in this ultralux segment of behemoth SUV's, but it would likely be the safest consumer vehicle on the market and 25,000 of them at 150-200k a pop, is a lot of cash flow. I'm not sure what design and development resources they have, everything comes down to opportunity costs. The Semi, Y, Roadster and Pickup must be a pretty big load on the design and development teams.

Sounds like the pickup truck will be based on the semi (scaled down of course), which reuses some Model 3 components. I don't think there's much hey could use from the X platform. Wrong motor, older inverter tech, 18650 based bty pack.

I think even the Roadster will use some of this Gen 3 tech.

Cheers!

I don't think Trump's scattershot tarriffs are going to have the desired effect. Perhaps if we implemented tarriffs by weight it would encourage less consumption of fuel in shipping? Because we'll still be shipping small, highly specialized goods, I'm sure of that.
As a rule (literally) open biomes and economic systems are subject to more rapid change and innovation. Closed biomes and economic systems lose the value of DNA or conceptual dialog. Closed systems are subject to entropy and decline. There may be issues with free trade, but those are issues that an enlightened democracy or leadership can manage. Closed systems, or systems that limit trade generally are systems in decline. Fuel consumption of ships trading goods seems pretty big, until you work out the value of goods on that ship. A million gallons of fuel to ship 2000 Model X Tesla's is about 1 million in fuel to ship 200 million worth of cars. Love to see electric ships sending those Tesla's, but it is not as important as those 2000 Tesla's replacing 2000 combustion cars. Free trade will likely lead to more efficient ships and electric ships sooner than restrictive trade policies.

sorry if offtrack, but exports are 40% ++ of Tesla sales, so I think open trade is important to Tesla.

Sounds like the pickup truck will be based on the semi (scaled down of course), which reuses some Model 3 components. I don't think there's much hey could use from the X platform. Wrong motor, older inverter tech, 18650 based bty pack.

I think even the Roadster will use some of this Gen 3 tech.

Cheers!
Not parts, but the chassis is what I meant by platform. It's common in the industry to use different chassis' for very different cars.

View attachment 357279 who, along with sister ship Hesper, was launched in 1917 as the last of the four-masted schooners for hauling lumber and coal. Each was slightly over 200 feet long and for each, for voyages from New England to France, the full complement of crew was.....nine!

And here she and Hesper are as I knew them growing up. This was their ignominious fate: abandoned in Wiscasset, Maine. Seeing the so-
View attachment 357281
called "Wiscasset Schooners" was a ritual of my boyhood - Dad had spent his early years nearby and we would go there each summer.

After Dad died and I took Jenny here as part of our full-circle solace trip, I cried and cried to discover the schooners gone - and learned they finally presented too much of a hazard and were dismantled in 1998.

Who says nostalgia isn't what it used to be?

Not parts, but the chassis is what I meant by platform. It's common in the industry to use different chassis' for very different cars.
The X chasis is integrated with the unibody. Also, the bty pack is a structural member. There's little use in trying to recycle any of its design.

Typically, full-size pickup trucks use a body-on-frame design rather than a unibody. Telsa wants to compete with the F-150 and GMC Sierra, not the Honda Ridgeline.

Cheers!

View attachment 357279 who, along with sister ship Hesper, was launched in 1917 as the last of the four-masted schooners for hauling lumber and coal. Each was slightly over 200 feet long and for each, for voyages from New England to France, the full complement of crew was.....nine!

And here she and Hesper are as I knew them growing up. This was their ignominious fate: abandoned in Wiscasset, Maine. Seeing the so-
View attachment 357281
called "Wiscasset Schooners" was a ritual of my boyhood - Dad had spent his early years nearby and we would go there each summer.

Wow, I stand corrected, thanks for the eye opener brother. I had a similar disheartening experience when visiting Alviso in the San Fransisco far South Bay sloughs. This was the heartland of the original idealistic self-sufficiency multihull movement on the west coast, but by the time I stopped by, about fifteen years ago, it was a ghost town, a wharram swamped in the overgrown former marina, with reeds growing out the hatches. Two story murals on buildings of original Pivers, just a memory.
I must admit, my resentment of ICE goes far beyond climate change, I resent the vulgarization of cultures worldwide. Also a reason I oppose globalism I have never had an engine on my boats. What I wouldn't give to take down big oil, hence my major investment in tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.