Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule (literally) open biomes and economic systems are subject to more rapid change and innovation. Closed biomes and economic systems lose the value of DNA or conceptual dialog. Closed systems are subject to entropy and decline. There may be issues with free trade, but those are issues that an enlightened democracy or leadership can manage. Closed systems, or systems that limit trade generally are systems in decline. Fuel consumption of ships trading goods seems pretty big, until you work out the value of goods on that ship. A million gallons of fuel to ship 2000 Model X Tesla's is about 1 million in fuel to ship 200 million worth of cars. Love to see electric ships sending those Tesla's, but it is not as important as those 2000 Tesla's replacing 2000 combustion cars. Free trade will likely lead to more efficient ships and electric ships sooner than restrictive trade policies.

sorry if offtrack, but exports are 40% ++ of Tesla sales, so I think open trade is important to Tesla.
If those teslas are produced in China then we don't have this significant part of emissions from shipping. There won't be battery packs of that size within our horizon. Buy local. As Mahatma Gandhi advocated. An ethic now abandoned in consumerism frenzy, and Indian farmers are committing suicide on a scale never seen before.

Reactions: neroden
For those interested in veering off topic into uncharted shoals, here is Gordon Bok's rendering of the narrative memoir of Karl Edstrom, who was tracked down in a nursing home when in his 90s, as the last member of the original crew of the Hesper. Among other things, he tells of the bewilderment of the "French ladies" who came down to the docks to welcome the vessel upon its arrival in Le Havre, not fathoming how a ship that size could be manned by just nine men.

My take of this is that the Age of Sail reached its pinnacle of economy and efficiency just as it breathed its last gasp. Or, to sound hopeful, when it was about to take a hundred year slumber?

Karl Edstrom and the Hesper - Gordon Bok | Song Info | AllMusic

Reactions: Paracelsus
The other part is that shipping uses bottom of the barrel horrible oil - not gasoline or even diesel. I'd think even converting ships to LNG would be a good start.
The new IMO regulations are a big deal in this regard. By imposing sulfur emissions requirements, they force the ships to use a refined product rather than the "bunker oil" which is refinery waste product -- at which point their cheapest option is basically diesel.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore and dc_h
For those interested in veering off topic into uncharted shoals, here is Gordon Bok's rendering of the narrative memoir of Karl Edstrom, who was tracked down in a nursing home when in his 90s, as the last member of the original crew of the Hesper. Among other things, he tells of the bewilderment of the "French ladies" who came down to the docks to welcome the vessel upon its arrival in Le Havre, not fathoming how a ship that size could be manned by just nine men.

My take of this is that the Age of Sail reached its pinnacle of economy and efficiency just as it breathed its last gasp. Or, to sound hopeful, when it was about to take a hundred year slumber?

Karl Edstrom and the Hesper - Gordon Bok | Song Info | AllMusic
Is this site reputable? I was afraid of its intense download extensions business..

Come on neroden you must see that trade has to be reduced exponentially..
I'm focusing on using economics as a pressure point to affect behavior. Getting ships into the diesel market means that they're buying a much higher-priced fuel, which allows for them to be undercut by electric shipping, allows for locally produced goods to have lower costs, etc...

Thank you for your insightful reply Neroden. Are you sure that weight is the main determinant of shipping emissions though? It may be volume since ships are piled with containers as high as they can go. My knowledge of the hydrodynamics falls short although I might figure this out in a day or two.
https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10.1080/23311916.2017.1415107

Fuel consumption per distance is related to speed and displacement (gross weight). The classical formula:

Fuel_per_unit_distance = constant * speed^3 * displacement^(2/3)

A fuel tax would probably be more effective than a tax on weight. Cruising speed is the big driver here, having a power of 3, while weight is sublinear having a power of 2/3.

OT for MA (con't here):

When I heard the news first I did wonder how the car stopped after 7 miles driving being followed by a police car. It just stopped because there was no interaction from the driver, found a save place and stopped.

The Police realized the Tesla was likely on Autopilot and pulled in front of the car then slowed down to a stop.

As designed, the Telsa's traffic aware cruise control also slowed, and then stopped the car.

Note that if Navigate-on-Autopilot was enabled and the lane-change prompt was disabled (not available yet), then the Tesla would have driven around the slowing Police car and continued on it's way.

Tesla needs to address this. They should connect a microphone to the self-driving software stack so that the car can react properly to Police and Fire sirens.

Cheers!

The new fuel standard for ships is, I think, equivalent to a shipping fuel tax, just what I'm pleading for. And it will impact legacy auto more than vertically integrated Tesla. Might it also raise the price of petroleum? Like a carbon tax under everyone's radar?

Reactions: jhm
Is this site reputable? I was afraid of its intense download extensions business..
My apologies! I have no idea of any nefarious gnomes that may be lying await. I have either all or almost all of the inestimable M Bok's recordings in my collection, and all but one he has autographed for me.

Tells ya sumfin' about me.....

Of minor importance to the bunker fuel discussion: speaking on behalf of TMC members as a whole, there is, unfortunately for our own priorities another extremely valuable feature of bunker fuel, aka diesel #3 (or F.O.#3) (and perhaps even #4 but I'm not going to look that up).

It may be trashy bottom-of-the-barrel stuff, and cheap, BUT it possesses the greatest energy density of standard liquid fuels. Kerosene to bunker fuel represent a continuum, with the lightest and cleanest kerosene at the top....and fewest BTUs; then diesel #1 (which we use in AK winters), diesel #2 (what most think of as diesel, aka fuel oil #2), and #3. Heaviest, richest....and gels at the highest temperature (somewhere close to 20ºC if I remember aright) meaning that you wouldn't be able to use it for most terrestrial purposes but on the open main and in the close environment of a ship's hold, it works well.

Of minor importance to the bunker fuel discussion: speaking on behalf of TMC members as a whole, there is, unfortunately for our own priorities another extremely valuable feature of bunker fuel, aka diesel #3 (or F.O.#3) (and perhaps even #4 but I'm not going to look that up).

It may be trashy bottom-of-the-barrel stuff, and cheap, BUT it possesses the greatest energy density of standard liquid fuels. Kerosene to bunker fuel represent a continuum, with the lightest and cleanest kerosene at the top....and fewest BTUs; then diesel #1 (which we use in AK winters), diesel #2 (what most think of as diesel, aka fuel oil #2), and #3. Heaviest, richest....and gels at the highest temperature (somewhere close to 20ºC if I remember aright) meaning that you wouldn't be able to use it for most terrestrial purposes but on the open main and in the close environment of a ship's hold, it works well.
I wonder if they'll be able to crack the no longer usable long chain fraction and get more diesel out of it or does the sulfur preclude that and it's disposed of unburned.

Status
Not open for further replies.