Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is even better than a tax on shipping or imports because it will raise demand and price of diesel just as tesla semi rolls out.
Diesel has already started to become more expensive than gasoline. The ratio gasoline stock to diesel stock has been rising for a few years, and it is now getting a point that it is impacting prices. Demand for gasoline is growing more slowly for diesel, but refiners cannot easily adjust their production mix. This is also a problem for light crude, which yields a product mix higher in gasoline than heavy crude. The gasoline glut hurts refiners' profits and may be contributing to the decline in crude prices. (Notice price separation below which preceded the decline in crude prices.)

oil_price_charts-2018-12-03.png

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
I wonder if they'll be able to crack the no longer usable long chain fraction and get more diesel out of it or does the sulfur preclude that and it's disposed of unburned.
You can remove the sulfur.

Hydrodesulfurization - Wikipedia

Doing so involves *vaporizing* the oil and filling the chamber with hydrogen gas.
Vaporizing it requires high temperatures on long chain molecules, and filling the chamber with hydrogen has a tendency to break the long chains into shorter molecules.

So you essentially end up cracking a lot of the long chains in the process of removing the sulfur.

You can remove the sulfur.

Hydrodesulfurization - Wikipedia

Doing so involves *vaporizing* the oil and filling the chamber with hydrogen gas.
Vaporizing it requires high temperatures on long chain molecules, and filling the chamber with hydrogen has a tendency to break the long chains into shorter molecules.

So you essentially end up cracking a lot of the long chains in the process of removing the sulfur.

Industry is on it. New EU standards come into effect in 2020.

Study evaluates refiners' options to meet 2020 bunker fuel sulfur rules

I know nobody here would ever give financial advice, but not many of them I'd ask for advice seeing how they handle tsla. What other stocks would you folk buy that 1. Accelerate the energy transition, 2. Likely good return. Just in the interest of diversification. Are yieldcos a good bet now?

They must be built in China for China otherwise those ships are spewing greenhouse gases like L
While Tesla's intent is to do exactly that, I don't see any point in agonizing over how goods are shipped around the globe. Ocean and air transport aren't going to be practical to electrify for a long time, if ever; biofuels may be the way to go once everything else is decarbonized.

Many compromises are required in the quest to transition the world to sustainable energy and transportation. It will take time to decarbonize supply chains, distribution channels, etc. In the meantime, I'm not particularly bothered that Tesla is using diesel trucks to deliver vehicles, gasoline-powered vans for their mobile service teams, conventionally-fueled ships to transport products internationally, etc. Most Tesla vehicles will continue to be charged, at least in part, from electric power plants that use fossil fuels. All of this will change, in time. In the meantime, the greatest good is served by continuing to allow the global economy to function.

Anyone who is at all concerned about climate change should start by taking personal action in accord with available finances, including:
- Use the most efficient means of transportation that you can be happy with.
- Install as much rooftop solar as reasonably possible.
- Avoid consuming foods with very high greenhouse gas footprints.
- Use electric heat pumps for heating and cooling.
- Seek to insulate one's home as well as possible.
- Use electric induction for cooking.

Pursuing the above will entail buying products manufactured all around the world. Do it anyway, as you'll still come out way ahead.

I know nobody here would ever give financial advice, but not many of them I'd ask for advice seeing how they handle tsla. What other stocks would you folk buy that 1. Accelerate the energy transition, 2. Likely good return. Just in the interest of diversification. Are yieldcos a good bet now?
Why do you think that other posters are handling TSLA poorly?

There is another thread that's relevant here: What other tech stock to consider?

That said, not all stocks which meet the above objectives would necessarily be considered tech stocks. Personally, I'm invested in some "green" mutual funds as well as some individual stocks in the solar and wind industries. A couple of examples would be TPIC and SEDG (not advice).

Why do you think that other posters are handling TSLA poorly?

There is another thread that's relevant here: What other tech stock to consider?

That said, not all stocks which meet the above objectives would necessarily be considered tech stocks. Personally, I'm invested in some "green" mutual funds as well as some individual stocks in the solar and wind industries. A couple of examples would be TPIC and SEDG (not advice).
Deep apologies. I worded that poorly. I meant I would not trust the financial advising business.

Reactions: abasile and neroden
OT for MA (con't here):

The Police realized the Tesla was likely on Autopilot and pulled in front of the car then slowed down to a stop.

As designed, the Telsa's traffic aware cruise control also slowed, and then stopped the car.

Note that if Navigate-on-Autopilot was enabled and the lane-change prompt was disabled (not available yet), then the Tesla would have driven around the slowing Police car and continued on it's way.

Tesla needs to address this. They should connect a microphone to the self-driving software stack so that the car can react properly to Police and Fire sirens.

Cheers!
Tesla’s OJ moment! A passed out dude in a runaway car, never speeding, just never stopping.

Pursuing the above will entail buying products manufactured all around the world. Do it anyway, as you'll still come out way ahead.

For what it's worth, I agree with your practical stance, but am not above wishing for higher oil prices to hasten emissions-rich fuels' retrenchment and maybe move some manufacturing closer to the point of sales. Yet I do like to be able to buy wines from all over the world, and think it's amazing just how cheap bulk cargo has become on this our still habitable orb.

An observation though: I happened to listen to an interview with Germany's ostensibly greenest climate scientist on DLF [public radio] - greenest in regards to his personal yearly CO2 balance. In his travels around the country speaking with people and doing climate advocacy, he says the most important way bar none to have an impact is actually to lobby for better rules and regulations.

I thought that was interesting. Hope that was not too much of a detour from this thread.

Audi announces €14 billion investment with focus on electric vehicles
$14Bn is getting serious. Some off these other figures discussed for various investments have seemed ridiculously low..

However, why aren't VAG clubbing up here?

While $14Bn is indeed a serious sum, this investment news isn't very specific about how much of that will go to EV development:
€14 billion investment plan in “electric mobility, digitalization and autonomous driving by the end of 2023.”

The German premium automaker announced today that the board approved the new investment plan, which will involve “property, plant and equipment as well as research and development expenditure.”

This sounds like a broad investment that includes electric mobility but not restricted to that.

Reactions: colettimj
Status
Not open for further replies.