Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How often DO they mention where someone is leaving is going to? It’s rare for that to be mentioned in any official statement anywhere. I’m trying to think back when the destination is ever mentioned when an employee is leaving except for retirement, not only in company statements but at any company I’ve ever worked for. Prove to me the celestial teapot doesn’t exist.

Tesla receives much more scrutiny than incumbent players, but the great thing about Tesla is because they’re such an innovative company, even if they do (not saying that they do) eat through employees faster than most companies, there are a lot of very bright motivated individuals who want to work there. I value my free time greatly, but I certainly wouldn’t mind a 5 year stint there, burning the midnight oil to be a part of something great. Not only that, but after being there for 5 years, I could probably retire from the stock options! (Assuming normal employees get some as part of their compensation package.)

I think it’s time to go back to bed. I just found out we lost Steven Hawking.

never said that tesla should do it, that would indeed be unusual. but for the other execs their new job was immediately known, which means it was planned on their part. for branderiz i havent heard anything, and thats unusual for top level executives.

and @Reciprocity are you sure he was only a solar accountant? i dont think so but im not sure either

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
The company that was responsible for the Bandoliers was building them in the Gigafactory. Tesla, JB, etc, tried to fix it for them, and couldn't . Despite all the software improvements at the Gigafactory, all the hours put in, in the end the Germans had to do it.
We don't know what company screwed up, so it might have been a German company. Just saying.

Tesla could of course have gone for a different company to fix the battery module production issues, of almost any nationality, but it's of course best to get Grohmann to do it. They specialize in this sort of thing, and they can be ordered to drop everything else.

The company that was responsible for the Bandoliers was building them in the Gigafactory. Tesla, JB, etc, tried to fix it for them, and couldn't . Despite all the software improvements at the Gigafactory, all the hours put in, in the end the Germans had to do it.

You are losing me somewhere. My understanding of the flow:
  1. Line is found not to work
  2. Many long night reprogramming to get it functional, HW is not correct and needs to be replaced.
  3. New semi-autonomous lines added that equal original line's output (so non-zero output from original line)
  4. New fully autonomous line developed in parallel in Germany.
Where are we diverging? SW can't fix fundamental flaws in HW. The German branch of Tesla made new HW. If there was no German branch, Tesla would have done it with North American resources. However, none of that detracts from the the functionality they were able to eek out of the original equipment. Nor do I see any evidence that they beat their heads against a wall for months before involving the Germany contingent a last resort (timeline does not support that either). Or, as you put it:

As for German engineering, when Tesla spent months trying to fix the battery production in Nevada, they couldn't do it here. They had to get their German subsidiary to figure it out and make it work.

Reactions: mutle
Apparently she was offered a more lofty and presumably higher compensated position at another firm. After five years at one job, such a move is not unusual for someone who has grown through experience and demonstrated capabilities suitable for greater responsibility. Congratulations Ms. Repo. Thank you for your service.
At the edge of crossing the chasm top executives leave, it’s disturbing at face value.
Possibly Better opportunities elsewhere and unfavorable views of the near term ,
One can only hope they miscalculated.

Becoming CFO of another company does not happen overnight. This would have been in the works for a while. She had been at Tesla for five years and obviously blocked from advancement to CFO. Such a shift after five years to take advantage of an opportunity is perfectly normal for a person in the corporate world. It rarely receives much notice when it involves companies other than Tesla.

Normally the headline would read, "X has been named CFO of company Y", and only later would mention be made that, "X was previously working in a lower level at company Z". But there are those who seek to make certain that news involving Tesla is first given a spin with negative implications.

Last edited:
You are losing me somewhere. My understanding of the flow:
  1. Line is found not to work
  2. Many long night reprogramming to get it functional, HW is not correct and needs to be replaced.
  3. New semi-autonomous lines added that equal original line's output (so non-zero output from original line)
  4. New fully autonomous line developed in parallel in Germany.
Where are we diverging? SW can't fix fundamental flaws in HW. The German branch of Tesla made new HW. If there was no German branch, Tesla would have done it with North American resources. However, none of that detracts from the the functionality they were able to eek out of the original equipment. Nor do I see any evidence that they beat their heads against a wall for months before involving the Germany contingent a last resort (timeline does not support that either). Or, as you put it:
I'm just trying to counter the bias against German technology that was raised in the attacks against Volkswagen. I love the sports team-like loyalty to Tesla-- "Rah, Rah!"-- and I have some very aggressive investments in the company, but when the loyalty extends to ignoring the real competition coming at Tesla, then I try and detach myself in order to make proper investment decisions. I think that Europe in general is being very smart in legislating against ICE, committing to electric vehicles and charging networks, and getting their battery technology from LG and Samsung. I think they are acting wisely, and will present considerable competition to Tesla in the next year or two. Those who doubt their business acumen, or their technological abilities, may learn differently the hard way.
I appreciate the team loyalty for Tesla, but feel that those in this thread who express contempt for these Volkswagon, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar efforts are letting their emotions cloud their investment judgement. This forum is dedicated to us sharing information to make the best financial decisions possible.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to counter the bias against German technology that was raised in the attacks against Volkswagen. I love the sports team-like loyalty to Tesla-- "Rah, Rah!"-- and I have some very aggressive investments in the company, but when the loyalty extends to ignoring the real competition coming at Tesla, then I try and detach myself in order to make proper investment decisions. I think that Europe in general is being very smart in legislating against ICE, committing to electric vehicles, and getting their battery technology from LG and Samsung. I think they are acting wisely, and will present considerable competition to Tesla in the next year or two. Those who doubt their business acumen, or their technological abilities, may learn differently the hard way.
I appreciate the team loyalty for Tesla, but feel that those in this thread who express contempt for these Volkswagon, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar efforts are letting their emotions cloud their investment judgement. This forum is dedicated to us sharing information to make the vest financial decisions possible.

Cool. I have nothing but respect for hard working engineers of any location, whether in Prüm, Germany or Sparks, Nevada.
Tesla is not the only group of good engineers, and that is a positive thing. :)

I'm just trying to counter the bias against German technology that was raised in the attacks against Volkswagen. I love the sports team-like loyalty to Tesla-- "Rah, Rah!"-- and I have some very aggressive investments in the company, but when the loyalty extends to ignoring the real competition coming at Tesla, then I try and detach myself in order to make proper investment decisions. I think that Europe in general is being very smart in legislating against ICE, committing to electric vehicles, and getting their battery technology from LG and Samsung. I think they are acting wisely, and will present considerable competition to Tesla in the next year or two. Those who doubt their business acumen, or their technological abilities, may learn differently the hard way.
I appreciate the team loyalty for Tesla, but feel that those in this thread who express contempt for these Volkswagon, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar efforts are letting their emotions cloud their investment judgement. This forum is dedicated to us sharing information to make the vest financial decisions possible.

This keeps getting bought up every few months (& sometimes its a harbringer to a short attack)

EV's are going to replace ICE.
EV's from competition is gonna replace ICE from the incumbents and gonna compete with Tesla
Incumbents until recently ignored ICE, and now they are being forced to invest (unplanned) $$ in EV
A lot of the state of art equipment, personell, IP etc etc for incumbents will go worthless, that will affect their bottomline even as they need to invest more in EV
Tesla by itself cannot and is not planning to offer EV to all, but if it will provide a solid chunk.

Once competition comes with an EV, they will realize that they just reached base-camp, and the mountain peak (charging, battery, energy etc etc) is still left to climb.

~ cheers!!

Note: if there was no competition transitioning to EV, it would mean EV was not a disruptor and it would be best to sell TSLA

Last edited:
never said that tesla should do it, that would indeed be unusual. but for the other execs their new job was immediately known, which means it was planned on their part. for branderiz i havent heard anything, and thats unusual for top level executives.

and @Reciprocity are you sure he was only a solar accountant? i dont think so but im not sure either

If you look at his prior job, he was "Senior Vice President, CAO, and Head of Global Residential & Light Commercial Operations & Finance" for SunPower Corporation. He was absolutely a solar accountant. Solar City had entered into dozens of complicated partnerships for tax credit accounting, it made sense to bring in someone from the outside to sort it all out. Now Tesla is not doing any similar type prepaid power sales with separate entities to take care of the tax credits. Once the mess that was solar city was cleaned up, his high priced position was no longer needed.

If you look at his prior job, he was "Senior Vice President, CAO, and Head of Global Residential & Light Commercial Operations & Finance" for SunPower Corporation. He was absolutely a solar accountant. Solar City had entered into dozens of complicated partnerships for tax credit accounting, it made sense to bring in someone from the outside to sort it all out. Now Tesla is not doing any similar type prepaid power sales with separate entities to take care of the tax credits. Once the mess that was solar city was cleaned up, his high priced position was no longer needed.

Furthermore, you can tell by his option exercises and sales that he was not committed to Tesla. Otherwise why exercise your option as soon as it vests and sell it?

Stock purchases, sales, and option exercises reported by insider Branderiz Eric since 2005.
Trade Date Symbol Company Name (Issuer) Trade Type Shares Price ($) Value ($)
2018-03-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,201 .00 0
2018-03-07 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 452 325.44 147,098
2018-02-26 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 401 353.50 141,753
2018-02-26 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 401 181.45 72,761
2018-01-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 801 181.45 145,341
2018-01-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 801 354.58 284,018
2017-12-07 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,229 312.61 384,197
2017-12-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 4,808 .00 0
2017-11-27 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-11-27 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 313.25 543,802
2017-11-10 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-11-10 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 302.31 524,810
2017-10-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 339.49 589,354
2017-10-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-09-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 99 350.12 34,661

Once competition comes with an EV, they will realize that they just reached base-camp, and the mountain peak (charging, battery, energy etc etc) is still left to climb.
I love your sense of humor, but completely disagree with this last statement, which is the condescending attitude to other companies. You think Porsche somehow doesn't think about charging? That Samsung doesn't know anything about batteries? Really?
You are illustrating the point of my posts.
All the best to you!

• Funny
Reactions: imherkimer
Furthermore, you can tell by his option exercises and sales that he was not committed to Tesla. Otherwise why exercise your option as soon as it vests and sell it?

Stock purchases, sales, and option exercises reported by insider Branderiz Eric since 2005.
Trade Date Symbol Company Name (Issuer) Trade Type Shares Price ($) Value ($)
2018-03-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,201 .00 0
2018-03-07 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 452 325.44 147,098
2018-02-26 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 401 353.50 141,753
2018-02-26 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 401 181.45 72,761
2018-01-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 801 181.45 145,341
2018-01-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 801 354.58 284,018
2017-12-07 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,229 312.61 384,197
2017-12-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 4,808 .00 0
2017-11-27 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-11-27 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 313.25 543,802
2017-11-10 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-11-10 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 302.31 524,810
2017-10-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 1,736 339.49 589,354
2017-10-24 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Option Ex 1,736 181.45 314,997
2017-09-05 TSLA Tesla, Inc. Sale 99 350.12 34,661

How do you know when they vested? All my company plans have the same exercise date as the sale date (no point in exercising if you are not selling, plus tax issues). Contrary to my previous statement, the 12-05-2017 exercise has thousands of unsold shares.

I love your sense of humor, but completely disagree with this last statement, which is the condescending attitude to other companies. You think Porsche somehow doesn't think about charging? That Samsung doesn't know anything about batteries? Really?
All the best to you!

Parked next to me in my garage is a new Mercedes amg gtc, one look at that car
And you are smitten. Important to keep an open mind.

All the best to you!

Your points are duly noted. No one should think TSLA can build in a vacum, competition will come, they too will need to meet the challenges. They will in a way be disrupting themselves. The ones that don't will go extinct.
It's Survival of the EVest now. (ICE age might be over soon ) :)

For those who think that Tesla does not have an advantage over the incumbents on battery engineering and production, or that purchasing from or partnering with Samsung, LG etc. is just as good, you may want to ask why it is that Daimler, who can source batteries from any supplier, has no clue whatsoever how to achieve the Tesla Semi’s specs.

Tesla’s advantages in battery innovation, engineering and production should keep it one or two steps ahead of the competition for many years to come across its automotive and storage product lines IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.