Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
never said that tesla should do it, that would indeed be unusual. but for the other execs their new job was immediately known, which means it was planned on their part. for branderiz i havent heard anything, and thats unusual for top level executives.

and @Reciprocity are you sure he was only a solar accountant? i dont think so but im not sure either

Don't really care, he's an accountant.

Don't really care, he's an accountant.
accountant.jpg

I'm just trying to counter the bias against German technology that was raised in the attacks against Volkswagen. I love the sports team-like loyalty to Tesla-- "Rah, Rah!"-- and I have some very aggressive investments in the company, but when the loyalty extends to ignoring the real competition coming at Tesla, then I try and detach myself in order to make proper investment decisions. I think that Europe in general is being very smart in legislating against ICE, committing to electric vehicles and charging networks, and getting their battery technology from LG and Samsung. I think they are acting wisely, and will present considerable competition to Tesla in the next year or two. Those who doubt their business acumen, or their technological abilities, may learn differently the hard way.
I appreciate the team loyalty for Tesla, but feel that those in this thread who express contempt for these Volkswagon, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar efforts are letting their emotions cloud their investment judgement. This forum is dedicated to us sharing information to make the best financial decisions possible.

You haven't been around long enough to formulate an opinion as to why there is contempt on this forum for those manufacturers. We've been hearing from OEM's for years about what cool EV they're gonna make. It's been the boy who cried wolf, and that's the reason we scoff....it has nothing to do with technical ability.

When I can buy a cool EV BMW for the same price as an ICE BMW, I for one will stop scoffing.

Tesla bids for a new world’s largest Powerpack battery system in Colorado

In South Australia, Tesla’s 100MW/ 129MWh Powerpack project is known as “the most powerful battery system in the world” and while this proposal in Colorado would not be as powerful with a power capacity of 75 MW, it would be able to run for 4 hours, which would require a much bigger energy capacity of 300 MWh.

This is important.

Last edited:
To me, it is great to see the incumbents responding to EVs. Remember Elon's original goal to "hasten the transition to sustainable transport". Whether these new investments and announcements are window dressing or the first steps in serious product rollout is an open question. While I don't buy the proposition that they are a threat to Tesla, it is reasonable that some of them will pan out in the long run. Up with EVs down with ICE.

New project underway by Elon,

"The famed entrepreneur has hired several staffers and writers at The Onion to work on a secret project, The Daily Beast is reporting. Among the new hires is former editor in chief of The Onion Cole Bolton, as well as former executive editor Ben Berkley, according to the report. They are apparently leading the effort and have hired three writers and one editor who previously worked at The Onion."

Here’s Why Elon Musk Is Poaching ‘The Onion’ Staffers

Elon Musk Wanted to Buy ‘The Onion,’ Now His Team’s Hiring Its Staffers for a Secret Project

fwiw, I hope he's hiring them at least in part to respond via satire to media gibberish (which the media itself, of course, hardly ever exposes for what it is), including so much of the coverage of Tesla.

New project underway by Elon,

"The famed entrepreneur has hired several staffers and writers at The Onion to work on a secret project, The Daily Beast is reporting. Among the new hires is former editor in chief of The Onion Cole Bolton, as well as former executive editor Ben Berkley, according to the report. They are apparently leading the effort and have hired three writers and one editor who previously worked at The Onion."

Here’s Why Elon Musk Is Poaching ‘The Onion’ Staffers

Elon Musk Wanted to Buy ‘The Onion,’ Now His Team’s Hiring Its Staffers for a Secret Project

fwiw, I hope he's hiring them at least in part to respond via satire to media gibberish (which the media itself, of course, hardly ever exposes for what it is), including so much of the coverage of Tesla.

Great idea. The FUD that is out there makes me laugh almost as much as the articles on the Onion.

To me, it is great to see the incumbents responding to EVs. Remember Elon's original goal to "hasten the transition to sustainable transport". Whether these new investments and announcements are window dressing or the first steps in serious product rollout is an open question. While I don't buy the proposition that they are a threat to Tesla, it is reasonable that some of them will pan out in the long run. Up with EVs down with ICE.

Similarly to how Apple differentiates the iPhone from a cellphone, iPad from a tablet and from the recent Apple what’s a computer campaign a computer from an iPad with a keyboard. Tesla competition will all be marketed as an EV however telling someone that you drive a Tesla is a status symbol in an of itself. That’s what separates a Tesla from a Chevy bolt EV. Or jaguar iPace EV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's time for Elon to become a regular guest on the Colbert show like Neil Degrasse Tyson is. Elon needs to give that "there needs to be more to wake up to than just solving world problems" speech and visit maybe once a month or so. Or have them both on the same night every 3 months or so.....to me that would help with some of the FUD and would be free marketing for SpaceX and Tesla.

Just a random thought....anyhow....

Tesla bids for a new world’s largest Powerpack battery system in Colorado

In South Australia, Tesla’s 100MW/ 129MWh Powerpack project is known as “the most powerful battery system in the world” and while this proposal in Colorado would not be as powerful with a power capacity of 75 MW, it would be able to run for 4 hours, which would require a much bigger energy capacity of 300 MWh.

This is important.

if you're Colorado, who you going to trust with this project? Since no one other then Tesla has done a project close to this scale, I would think they have a huge credibility surplus based on prior success.

Spending billions is the easy part, getting something meaningful back is something else. Let it be known that Silicon Valley is located in California, this is where the pool of software genius’s are recruited. I don’t doubt Germany and their hardware engineers, but we are in the major leagues here in the USA when it comes to software...

The Porsche mission e won’t even attempt at installing autonomous driving, geewiz, I wonder why? There’s a lot more than batteries that VW has to be worried about. Throwing money on the table is the first step, let’s see how efficient they are compared to our world class software developers. This race won’t even be a close one..

BTW this is nothing new, just ask Apple with their billions including the best software engineers how project titan is going...

Good point. $2B by BMW got them the i3.

I love your sense of humor, but completely disagree with this last statement, which is the condescending attitude to other companies. You think Porsche somehow doesn't think about charging? That Samsung doesn't know anything about batteries? Really?
You are illustrating the point of my posts.
All the best to you!
Why don’t you start a “German engineering is the best” thread and post there instead of here?

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand and Icer
The company that was responsible for the Bandoliers was building them in the Gigafactory. Tesla, JB, etc, tried to fix it for them, and couldn't . Despite all the software improvements at the Gigafactory, all the hours put in, in the end the Germans had to do it.

Stop it already with the 'Germans are the best' crap. Tesla bought Grohmann not because they are 'German' but because they happened to have the expertise Tesla wanted to have in house AND were for sale at a price Tesla could afford. (FYI, I'm married to a German and partially German myself. We aren't 'special'. People like everyone else with strengths and weaknesses.)

Stop it already with the 'Germans are the best' crap. Tesla bought Grohmann not because they are 'German' but because they happened to have the expertise Tesla wanted to have in house AND were for sale at a price Tesla could afford. (FYI, I'm married to a German and partially German myself. We aren't 'special'. People like everyone else with strengths and weaknesses.)

NEIN! Deutsche sind die Besten! Tesla wird fallen!:cool:

Special thanks to Google translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.