Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade pressures deepen as Daimler warns on sales

View attachment 311410
Auto stocks sank to a nine-month low on European markets .SXAP after Daimler cut its 2018 profit forecast and German rival BMW said it was considering “possible strategic options” in light of the rising trade tensions between China and the United States.

This is just the beginning. This trend of pointing to anything but Tesla for their declining earnings is going to get increasingly ridiculous.

you're probably right but not on days when TSLA is down ~3% also :)
tsla - Google Search

back to this, important note in the article is suggested loss of business. this isn't about stock, the amount of reservations has definitely been affected as people watched bad publicity. Not a day goes by that i dont get crap from coworkers, who may or may not know better, about tesla fires and production issues.

Former employee sued by Tesla says he was a whistleblower, alarmed by company practices and Elon Musk

Beyond anecdotes, is there and data to say reservations have been significantly negatively affected? I didn't find any mention of that in linked article (keyword search).

The guy is obviously not a whisteblower and he deserves everything that he is going to get. But

1) Why the hell is Elon Musk mailing this guy when they are in litigation? Let the lawyers handle this. That's just super basic.

2) Not sure how a court case is going to help Tesla. Whatever they'll recover from this guy is going to be peanuts compared to the damage he caused. And his defense is going make to make hay of everything they find trying to spin it as Tesla is indeed a malicious company. Media will report as such and when after months and months it all turns out BS no one cares about it anymore. Tesla as zero leverage over this guy : he already lost everything anyway.

Discovery process could lead to broader implications and possibly uncover third party liability. Maybe less effective to pursue criminal charges to this end.

Seems like the goal might be to locate who exactly is behind this, of broader then just Tripp involvement.

Reactions: gene and Drax7
A mid level employee talking to the media, that is not common practice, especially given his
phony motive. His first duty is to protect his family and job,
And even if he noticed irregular activity, report it to the higher ups and document it with
Memos. However, your first priority is to keep your job, not to save humanity.

The whistleblower argument is standing on very thin ice.

He had evidence that Tesla lied on Model 3 production numbers? He should have gone to the SEC. Those numbers were filed with them so lying about them would constitute deceiving shareholders and the SEC would crack down.

He had evidence that unsafe components (punctured cells) were put in cars? He should have gone to the NHTSA! They have the authority to pull the model from the market if Tesla is knowingly producing unsafe vehicles.

Unsafe work conditions? Nevada authorities! Lying on amount of scrap and resulting financial loss to make the company look better? Probably the SEC again!

Any claim you want to make you can go to a government entity and get official whistleblower protection and an investigation.

So did he do any of that?

Nah... rather started leaking to the media.

back to this, important note in the article is suggested loss of business. this isn't about stock, the amount of reservations has definitely been affected as people watched bad publicity. Not a day goes by that i dont get crap from coworkers, who may or may not know better, about tesla fires and production issues.

Former employee sued by Tesla says he was a whistleblower, alarmed by company practices and Elon Musk

I’ve family members (senior citizens) that have just received their model 3 recently. The interesting thing is the news doesn’t matter to them since they enjoy the car. As a matter of fact they have allowed their friends (senior citizens) to drive it knowing only the news and have actually shown interest in buying one.

From my observation, it seems that the proof is in the product. When model 3s start showing up in neighborhoods in large numbers, the reality is more cars (a lot) will be ordered.

The financial media plays upon the newness of Tesla and that unproven newness scares the broader uninformed public. But when the broader public see it in person and friends and family show up at the house in one, the frame of reference changes from media middleman driven, to personal experience and which profoundly changes the broader consumer confidence level.

In my neighborhood, I’m seeing a significant spike in model 3s in and around the area. I remember the samething happened when model s Popping up around here in mass when they were ramping in q1 2013. Same feel. I tend to trust my eyes more so after that experience.

Great thanks for the many kind words of support from fellow TMC members, both within this message board and on Twitter over the past 24 hours. You folks are the good ones, the righteous ones. Then there are those like the tweeter below.

View attachment 311436
Thank you for your contributions to this forum Curt.
I believe it is hard to see the net positive overall of Twitter as a platform.

The whistleblower argument is standing on very thin ice.

He had evidence that Tesla lied on Model 3 production numbers? He should have gone to the SEC. Those numbers were filed with them so lying about them would constitute deceiving shareholders and the SEC would crack down.

He had evidence that unsafe components (punctured cells) were put in cars? He should have gone to the NHTSA! They have the authority to pull the model from the market if Tesla is knowingly producing unsafe vehicles.

Unsafe work conditions? Nevada authorities! Lying on amount of scrap and resulting financial loss to make the company look better? Probably the SEC again!

Any claim you want to make you can go to a government entity and get official whistleblower protection and an investigation.

So did he do any of that?

Nah... rather started leaking to the media.

And if Tesla was going to lie about production numbers, why only inflate it by 100 cars/5%? If they are truly shady, say you hit 5k, cash in all your stock on the bump then spend a good percentage of your life trying to avoid being cuffed and stuffed. Seems plausible.

All my coworkers mutter the media-fuled lies about Tesla, and i have to refute and try to educate them.

people often compare tesla to apple and the iphone, but this just feels so much more significant than the iphone moment. i dunno, maybe its because i've got my tesla blinders on but it really does feel like a real turning point in history.

at this point no amount of negative articles can stop the tesla avalanche, imo.

people believe in TESLA, people believe in Elon, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my model f'ing 3.

i saw some other unrelated article saying that reservations were flatlining. proving its because of this or other negative publicity is going to be a challenge though.

And if Tesla was going to lie about production numbers, why only inflate it by 100 cars/5%? If they are truly shady, say you hit 5k, cash in all your stock on the bump then spend a good percentage of your life trying to avoid being cuffed and stuffed. Seems plausible.
Right. At that point the message was that "we made as much cars last week as the entire previous quarter". A 100 plus or minus would not have mattered. They did not hit the 2500 anyway.

Reactions: sub and mutle
All my coworkers mutter the media-fuled lies about Tesla, and i have to refute and try to educate them.

people often compare tesla to apple and the iphone, but this just feels so much more significant than the iphone moment. i dunno, maybe its because i've got my tesla blinders on but it really does feel like a real turning point in history.

at this point no amount of negative articles can stop the tesla avalanche, imo.

people believe in TESLA, people believe in Elon, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my model f'ing 3

Again, the actual satisfaction with the car is the true arbiter of the company. Media plays upon the unknown product angle, since many haven’t experienced the car first hand. Everyone has seen the local Toyota dealership, but have never seen this Tesla thing before. It’s all about the product getting on the roads, which many fianacial and competive interests understand well.

I’ve family members (senior citizens) that have just received their model 3 recently. The interesting thing is the news doesn’t matter to them since they enjoy the car. As a matter of fact they have allowed their friends (senior citizens) to drive it knowing only the news and have actually shown interest in buying one.

From my observation, it seems that the proof is in the product. When model 3s start showing up in neighborhoods in large numbers, the reality is more cars (a lot) will be ordered.

The financial media plays upon the newness of Tesla and that unproven newness scares the broader uninformed public. But when the broader public see it in person and friends and family show up at the house in one, the frame of reference changes from media middleman driven, to personal experience and which profoundly changes the broader consumer confidence level.

In my neighborhood, I’m seeing a significant spike in model 3s in and around the area. I remember the samething happened when model s Popping up around here in mass when they were ramping in q1 2013. Same feel. I tend to trust my eyes more so after that experience.
Same here in Granada Hills.
Seeing a LOT of model 3's

Status
Not open for further replies.