Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a new Model 3 yesterday. The location where I picked up the car was packed with people (both waiting to get their new car and considering buying a new car). When I was taken to the delivery location, there were 30-40 Model 3s awaiting their new owners. As a car would leave with a new owner, another car would be brought in for the next lucky person. Unfortunately (or fortunately for investing purposes), my car needed to go back to the detail shop. I went with it - wow! There were well over 100 Model 3s getting detailed. The folks with whom I spoke at the detail shop and the delivery center said they could hardly keep up with the volume this quarter (“at least double last quarter, and last quarter was crazy”). I had a similar experience with a popular seller of Tesla aftermarket parts. I spoke with him to find out why some items I ordered had not shipped - he told me that there were delays for various reasons, including that Tesla has been delivering so many more Model 3s this quarter than anticipated that his shop just could not keep up with demand.

A very quick example of this "demand > supply" mechanism in action: Tesla was able to redirect dropping sales from China (where they were passing through the up to 65% of tariff overhead to customers) to other regions, without any drop in deliveries - in fact Model S/X deliveries rose and might hit new records in Q4. I.e. the extremely steep China tariffs didn't crowd out Tesla's demand to push sales below available supply of new vehicles.

Recall that there's another data point to consider for Tesla margins in China during 2018 Q4: Tesla is sending a shipload of pre-paid used Model S/X cars to China (a car-carrier ship typically holds approx. 6,000 vehicles).

These will be put on the Chinese market ASAP since they are all pre-sold before they were loaded on the ship, and likely much of the revenue will be accrued during this quarter.

I still haven't seen it discussed where these cars are exempt from new the tariff regime. They may well be, especially if they were pre-paid before the tariffs took effect.

Regardless, this sounds like approx $400M in revenue, with gross margins at least as good as new vehicle production.

Cheers!

What Tesla’s ‘Delivery Logistics Hell’ Is Like for Model 3 Buyers
https://nyti.ms/2Dl59Ox

I think it is time to cancel my Times subscription.

All the 10000s cars delivered, they highlight the very small minority who had problems and create a click bait story from it.

It’s like a headline “Amazon package not delivered, should the SEC investigate?”

Why not focus on the real story: “Even during a huge and complicated scaling moment, thousands of amazing innovative cars get to thousands of happy customers”

I did cancel my Times subscription. The reporting was so dreadful I lost confidence in anything I read. I think it’s better to fund sites like CleanTechnica.

AARP: How Long Do Cars Last? A Guide to Your Car's Longevity

And, as their technology is perfected, electric cars have the potential to run even longer. “Three hundred thousand miles could be the standard for an electric car,” says Trotta. The engines have fewer moving parts, which reduces breakdowns, resulting in less maintenance and longer lifespans (the same is true for hybrid vehicles). In July 2018, Tesloop, a Tesla taxi company, announced that one of its Model S cars had passed the 400,000-mile mark, and the company says it expects the car to last another 600,000 miles.

Another example: I'm pissed at the Canadian federal government and the Alberta province for STILL not seeing the alternative energy writing on the wall and mainly harping on how to prop up the oil and gas industry.

In fact, the current NDP Government has moved to end the use of coal for electricity generation by 2030, and has signed multiple contracts for new wind farms.

Additionally, Alberta now has a carbon tax and uses half the proceeds to fund solar, wind, and energy efficiency initiatives for homes and businesses. The other half of the funds are being returned to low-income Albertans in a quarterly cash rebate.

You may be thinking of the long-standing policies of the previous defeated PC Governent (in power for a record 44 years), the last sitting Member of which announced just yesterday that he will not seek re-election in Spring 2019.

Regardless of what you think about the Gov't role in promoting oil exports, the price of Western Canadian Select heavy crude (the kind they ship to Rosemount, Minnesota and Port Arthur, Texas) hit a new record low price yesterday, an unsustainable $10.29 per barrel.

If fact, the price is so low, even the new right-wing Opposition Party is calling for a Gov't mandated 10% cut in oil shipments. That's the free-market types calling for government controls in the oil market.

In spite of the bluster and sabre rattling, no new oil pipelines have been built in a decade. At this oil price, no new pipelines will be built, certainly not by private business.

In summary, the time to act on climate change was 1988. Yeah. Too bad we don't have a time machine. But speaking against a governing party that is moving deliberately on the problem will not speed up the solution; it'll just put the right-wingers back in power and delay the solution even longer.

When you can see you're driving into a wall, it's still better to pump the brakes than to step on the gas.

Let's just hope that there's no cliff behind that wall.

Cheers!

In fact, the current NDP Government has moved to end the use of coal for electricity generation by 2030, and has signed multiple contracts for new wind farms.

Additionally, Alberta now has a carbon tax and uses half the proceeds to fund solar, wind, and energy efficiency initiatives for homes and businesses. The other half of the funds are being returned to low-income Albertans in a quarterly cash rebate.

You may be thinking of the policies of previous defeated PC Governent (in power for a record 44 years), the last sitting Member of which announced just yesterday that he will not seek re-election in Spring 2019.

Regardless of what you think about the Gov't role in promoting oil exports, the price of Western Canadian Select heavy crude (the kind they ship to Rosemount, Minnesota and Port Arther, Texas) hit a new record low price yesterday, $10.29 per barrel.

The price is so low, even the new right-wing Opposition Party is calling for a Gov't mandated 10% cut in oil shipments.

In spite of the bluster and sabre rattling, no new oil pipelines have been built. At this oil price, no new pipelines will be built, certainly not by private business.

In summary, the time to act on climate change was 1988. Too bad we don't have a time machine. But speaking against a governing party that is moving deliberately on the problem will not speed up the solution; it'll just put the right-wingers back in power and delay the solution even longer.

When you can see you're driving into a wall, it's still better to pump the brakes than to step on the gas.

Let's just hope that there's no cliff behind that wall.

Cheers!
I thank you for that detailed correction. It gives me hope. Once I recover from Trudeau buying us all a pipeline.

All I've been seeing on the news the last two months is the Alberta premier bemoaning the oil industry and demanding federal support, followed by a clip of similar statement(s) by federal politicians.

I thank you for that detailed correction. It gives me hope. Once I recover from Trudeau buying us all a pipeline.

All I've been seeing on the news the last two months is the Alberta premier bemoaning the oil industry and demanding federal support, followed by a clip of similar statement(s) by federal politicians.

I hear you brother, and you're not wrong. I'm scheduled for a conference call with my MLA on thursday evening. You can bet I'll bring it up.

The future is renewable. We need a sharp boot to leave the nest. It just gets harder every year we delay. Easy or hard, the future is on its way. :D

Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Interesting. Where did they get a Model 3 for this cannonball race in Germany - just ship one over from the US? It looks like it can be seen supercharging around 5:20. There may be some kind of Tesla "modified" Type 2 (EU) to Tesla Proprietary (NA) adapter sandwiched onto the car (I'm assuming, what else could it be - that or a Type 2 to Type 2 CCS adapter).

Great comment. Really belongs here though. ;)

Hi folks,

This info provided by @Papafox is too important to leave to languish in the Daily Charts thread. So, be advised:

Tesla must announce its intentions regarding the March notes (cash payoff vs. default combo) by December 1 or the notes are handled in the default fashion.

Since Dec 1st is a Saturday, does that mean Tesla can wait until Mon, Dec 3rd to announce it's intentions for the Mar 2019 notes?

Tesla has to announce by Dec 1st. It has nothing to do with Dec 1 not being a business day. From this filing

"We will inform holders of the settlement method we elect for any conversions occurring on or after December 1, 2018 no later than December 1, 2018"

So Tesla should tell us by this Sat, Dec 1st if they will pay off the March 2019 Notes in cash.

Could be BIG. Popcorn ready. :D

Cheers!

Wrote a letter to Arcimoto. Got a reply.

This is relevant to the thread because it gives us a clue as to the survivability of EV startups i.e. Future competitors unencumbered by their tailpipe history.

You can see press releases on their site. Nothing about this yet.

Not an advice!

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Carl, thanks for reaching out. We successfully raised $1.5M USD by reaching out directly to our existing shareholders, customers, and fans. We certainly intend to be delivering vehicles in 2019 and are in this for the long haul. At the current price, we like to think FUV is a solid buy! We'll leave that up to you :)

For more information, check out investor page.

Can't wait to bring the FUV down under!

Cheers,
Jon

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:00 AM Carl wrote:

Hi,

I am a stock holder with 236 shares of FUV. I love the vehicle and hope to buy one (or two) one day in Australia. On the north coast of NSW the weather will be perfect for it. The area around Byron Bay is full of environmentally conscious people and it would be well received there.

I can see the stock is currently bargain priced, recently dipping to $2.10, so am considering buying more. I will do so if I learn that your November round of funding was a success and that you are afloat for next year.

Can you tell me how it went?

Kind regards,
Carl
NSW, Australia.

Sent from my iPad

--
uc

Jonathan Miller
Communications

Nice info, but it REALLY belongs here in "General Discussion" because their no Market Action involved. At all. ;)

Cheers!

So Tesla should tell us by this Sat, Dec 1st if they will pay off the March 2019 Notes in cash. Could be BIG. Popcorn ready.

Either popcorn or aspirin:

Upon conversion of the notes, you may receive less valuable consideration than expected because the value of our common stock may decline after you exercise your conversion right but before we settle our conversion obligation.

Under the notes, a converting holder will be exposed to fluctuations in the value of our common stock during the period from the date such holder surrenders notes for conversion until the date we settle our conversion obligation.

Upon conversion of the 2019 notes, we have the option to pay or deliver, as the case may be, cash, shares of our common stock or a combination of cash and shares of our common stock to satisfy our conversion obligation. If we elect to satisfy our conversion obligation in cash or a combination of cash and shares of our common stock, the amount of consideration that you will receive upon conversion of your notes will be determined by reference to the volume weighted average prices of our common stock for each VWAP trading day in a 20 VWAP trading day observation period. We will deliver the consideration due in respect of conversion on the third business day immediately following the relevant conversion date if we elect to deliver solely shares of our common stock or the third business day immediately following the end of the applicable observation period if we elect to pay solely cash or pay and deliver a combination of cash and shares of our common stock. Accordingly, if the price of our common stock decreases during this period, the amount and/or value of consideration you receive will be adversely affected...

All conversions of 2019 notes occurring on or after December 1, 2018 (the applicable Free Conversion Date for the 2019 notes) will be settled using the same relative proportion of cash and/or shares of our common stock as all other conversions occurring on or after December 1, 2018. We will inform holders of the settlement method we elect for any conversions occurring on or after December 1, 2018 no later than December 1, 2018. If we do not timely elect a settlement method, we will no longer have the right to elect cash settlement or physical settlement and we will be deemed to have elected combination settlement in respect of our conversion obligation, as described below, and the specified dollar amount (as defined below) per $1,000 principal amount of notes will be equal to $1,000. If we elect combination settlement but we do not timely notify converting holders of the specified dollar amount per $1,000 principal amount of 2019 notes, such specified dollar amount will be deemed to be $1,000...

if we elect (or are deemed to have elected) combination settlement, we will pay or deliver, as the case may be, to the converting holder in respect of each $1,000 principal amount of notes being converted a “settlement amount” equal to the sum of the daily settlement amounts for each of the 20 consecutive VWAP trading days during the relevant observation period (plus cash in lieu of any fractional share of our common stock issuable upon conversion)...

With respect to the 2019 notes, the “daily settlement amount”, for each of the 20 consecutive VWAP trading days during the applicable observation period, shall consist of:

-cash equal to the lesser of (i) the maximum cash amount per $1,000 principal amount of 2019 notes to be received upon conversion as specified (or deemed specified) in the notice specifying our chosen settlement method (the “specified dollar amount”), divided by 20 (such quotient, the “daily measurement value”) and (ii) the daily conversion value; and
-if the daily conversion value exceeds the daily measurement value, a number of shares of our common stock equal to (i) the difference between the daily conversion value and the daily measurement value, divided by (ii) the daily VWAP (as defined below under “—Definitions”) for such VWAP trading day...
The “daily VWAP” means, for each of the 20 consecutive trading days during the applicable observation period, the per share volume—weighted average price as displayed under the heading “Bloomberg VWAP” on Bloomberg page “TSLA.Q <EQUITY> AQR” (or its equivalent successor if such page is not available) in respect of the period from the scheduled open of trading until the scheduled close of trading of the primary trading session on such VWAP trading day (or if such volume—weighted average price is unavailable, the market value of one share of our common stock on such VWAP trading day reasonably determined, using a volume—weighted average method, by a nationally recognized independent investment banking firm retained for this purpose by us). The “daily VWAP” will be determined without regard to after hours trading or any other trading outside of the regular trading session trading hours...

-if the relevant conversion date occurs on or after the applicable Free Conversion Date, the 20 consecutive VWAP trading day period beginning on, and including, the 22nd scheduled trading day immediately preceding the applicable maturity date (if such scheduled trading day is not a VWAP trading day, the immediately following VWAP trading day).
IF, I parsed all that legalese correctly (and Tesla issues no affirmative notice by 12/1/2018), it appears the 2019 note holders will get a minimum of $1,000/note but the actual [possibly higher] amount per note will not be known until end of the Observation Period on 2/28/2019. This could set up a battle during February 2019 between the hedge writers and the note holders regarding the VWAP.

It also appears the BoD decided not to invoke the "Best Interests" provision to conserve cash balances;

We are permitted to increase the applicable conversion rate of either or both series of notes by any amount for a period of at least 20 business days if our board of directors or a committee thereof determines that such increase would be in our best interest.

2019 10Best Cars

A little sloppy on my part, but I have lost faith in C&D's journalistic integrity.

I'm not sure that kind of article has any journalism to lose integrity over. It is fluff piece aimed at their intended readership who want cars with engines to be tweaked, that roar when you press the accelerator and lurch when you don't smoothly advance through gears.

I get it, I only drive manual transmission vehicles and they are a blast. Since I've never driven an electric, and I've only driven front wheel drive for decades, if I ever get the L3MR I ordered it will be a shock to the system. An electric just doesn't resonate with their intended audience. At least, not without experiencing one first hand.

So while it does seem like a significant oversight for them to not include a Tesla in their lineup, I think it just illustrates the echo chamber effect. They don't want to risk upsetting a reader with something unexpected. Yes, they run the gamut down to a VW Golf, but "the 228-hp turbocharged inline-four" and later "the 288hp Golf R speaks to our power lust." Translation: it revs nicely. It has a "turbocharger".

Awesome General Discussion topic, gentlemen. Have at 'er. Cheers!

Replying from general thread. The lesser evil of cross threading and continuing off topic in market action thread.

A large part of Tesla's mission is to counteract the perception of EV's as niche market weirdmobiles which will never sell in real volume. Your post has nothing to do with that mission. There are also many other threads to discuss non-Tesla related topics. This thread starts to become unusable with too many off topic posts.

Arcimoto makes a pretty compelling argument about the madness of going out to fetch milk wrapped in two tonnes of metal. The three wheeler may be weird to some. I look at things from an engineering perspective - with two front wheels it's not unstable like a tricycle formation. It's an order of magnitude more efficient than an ICEV - not even a model 3 can claim that. And it's affordable for a lot of people who would otherwise be forced to burn fossils - especially in developing nations.

I think weird is what we think when we see something different. Pretty soon we get used to it - like cars with no grille.

My portfolio is 98.5% TSLA, 1.5% FUV. Please trust I'm rooting for Tesla too, big time. I don't see these two as competitors. Indeed I'm hoping Elon will sell them Tesla branded battery packs. EDIT: He can use them on Mars perhaps.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.