Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia Power Rebates and discounted rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Georgia Power will rebate $250 towards the installation of a residential level 2 EV charger. I presume this would be applicable to the Tesla wall connector but not if you just do a NEMA 14-50. Does that sound right? Has anyone gotten this rebate ?

They also have a rate plan with discounted overnight power rates, however I assume the trade-off is high midday rates and I work from home, so I’m leery of this. Anyone studied this and figured out how to evaluate this option?

Georgia Power EV rates are:
.01 kWh from 11p to 7a
.20 kWh from 2pm to 7pm (June to Sep only)
.07 kWh for all other times
(Not including other taxes/fees)

The 20 cent rate is more than double what I think is my current rate (can’t seem to access my online account today) so not exactly sure what will happen to my overall cost. I know we’ve had these smart meters for several years which can track time of day usage, but I don’t know if they share the data in enough detail for me to model out a rate change.

Billing Period July 23, 2018 - Aug 22, 2018
Basic Service Charge $ 10.00
On Peak-Energy Charge 84 KWH x 0.203217 17.07 Actually .203217 + .031718 = .234935 cents
Off Peak-Energy Charge 711 KWH x 0.065865 46.83 Actually .065865 + .031718 = .097583 cents
Super OffPeakEnergy 682 KWH x 0.014164 9.66 Actually .014164 + .031718 = .045882 cents
Fuel Charge 1477 KWH x 0.031718 46.85
Demand Side Management 1.40
Environmental Compliance Cost 10.67
Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery 7.03
Municipal Franchise Fee 4.48
Sales Tax 11.93
Total Current Electric Service $165.92
On peak June 1 thru September 30 (2 PM thru 7 PM)
My total bill in August is $165.92. We charge our electric cars exclusively at night. We have also moved our dryer and dishwasher to be used only at night. It cost us $31.29 (682 KWH X .045882) for a month of charging 2 electric cars, dryer, dishwasher and air conditioning, about $1 per day.

We charge our electric cars exclusively at night.
The risky part about this is that your 2p-7p summer weekday rate jumps from 15.4 cents/Kwh (with all taxes) to 28.69 cents/kWh and that's the hottest part of the day, so you're running the HVAC the whole time if you're home during the day (which I am) or have pets. I wonder if I can shift enough usage to the cheaper parts of the day. GA Power can't tell you what you use during specific parts of the day, therefore I will have to start going outside at 2 PM and 7PM to take manual meter readings so I can estimate!!

BTW ... for anyone who is on the EV Rate in Georgia, you can easily see what your bill would have been on the Standard rate by using this web site: Georgia Public Service Commission
Unfortunately, there's no estimator for the EV Plans.

Total Current Electric Service $165.92
Using the Calculator above, your bill would have been $222 on the Standard Rate plan.

Old thread, but just wanted to give an update. I paid to have a 250V NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and GA Power is processing the $250 rebate for it. I had to explain that I’m using my mobile charger (included in the car purchase) with the new outlet, so be prepared to explain that part if they tell you “no” when you submit the request form.

Old thread, but just wanted to give an update. I paid to have a 250V NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and GA Power is processing the $250 rebate for it. I had to explain that I’m using my mobile charger (included in the car purchase) with the new outlet, so be prepared to explain that part if they tell you “no” when you submit the request form.
Hi! I'm looking to do something similar with Sawnee EMC power here in Georgia. They have a very similar rebate and I wanted to see if the came through for you. I'd love to be able to just get a NEMA 14-50 by itself and use the mobile charger that will be coming with my car. Were you fully successful?

Hi! I'm looking to do something similar with Sawnee EMC power here in Georgia. They have a very similar rebate and I wanted to see if the came through for you. I'd love to be able to just get a NEMA 14-50 by itself and use the mobile charger that will be coming with my car. Were you fully successful?

Hey! Sorry so late replying. Yes, they sent me a check a couple of days later. I just had to talk to customer service to explain everything.

And yup, I use the 14-50 mobile adapter and it works perfectly. No issues. I’d recommend getting a hook or holder for it just to keep everything off the floor. Good luck!

Reactions: echanger1