Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German Auto Makers Serious About EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't write them off so easily... Tesla is here to stay and will continue to chip away at the premium EV market, but it will never get the whole pie... nor will the other car manufacturers stand idle and not innovate. I look forward to seeing what the German and Japanese car manufacturers come up in the future... I'm sure we will see some compelling and impressive vehicles. But, until then, I'll be happy driving my Model 3. :)

I feel more EVs on the market, the better Tesla will do. Yes, people will cross-shop EVs, however, the key is to expand the entire EV segment. in 2017, EV/PHEV sales accounted for 1.17% of total US sales. The more manufacturers that have EVs, the more people will switch from ICE to EV. It is better for Tesla to have a smaller slice of a much bigger pie than a large slice of a tiny pie.

I wouldn't write them off so easily... Tesla is here to stay and will continue to chip away at the premium EV market, but it will never get the whole pie... nor will the other car manufacturers stand idle and not innovate. I look forward to seeing what the German and Japanese car manufacturers come up in the future... I'm sure we will see some compelling and impressive vehicles. But, until then, I'll be happy driving my Model 3. :)
Perhaps you meant to say "premium car market"? Tesla owns the premium EV market. :)

Certainly the other manufacturers will not sit idle, but they have a lot of catching up to do, with a lot of promises and little to show at the moment.

I feel more EVs on the market, the better Tesla will do. Yes, people will cross-shop EVs, however, the key is to expand the entire EV segment. in 2017, EV/PHEV sales accounted for 1.17% of total US sales. The more manufacturers that have EVs, the more people will switch from ICE to EV. It is better for Tesla to have a smaller slice of a much bigger pie than a large slice of a tiny pie.

Along with more customers for Tesla Energy. Any EV owner will be interested in lowering their power bill.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Right now, Tesla IS the premium EV market, it is up to the others to chip away at them. You are right though, Once the others get going Tesla won't have the whole market, just like non of the current ones have the whole market now.

If Toyota would give up on the whole hydrogen thing and put out a nice EV they'd sell a ton of them.

Reactions: EinSV
There will be several fast charging networks by the time these vehicles come to market, the largest being Ionity in Europe and Electrify America in the US. I just wish Tesla would offer some way to make their cars CCS compatible ...
The largest being Ionity in Europe? Tesla has already today (395 Supercharging stations) what they plan to have in 2020 (400 Ionity Chargers). Do you really think Tesla will not expand further? Wherever Ionity goes, Tesla was there long before them.

There will be several fast charging networks by the time these vehicles come to market, the largest being Ionity in Europe and Electrify America in the US. I just wish Tesla would offer some way to make their cars CCS compatible ...
VW has been forced to spend $2B on a US charging network. It's sunk cost at this point.

Dieselgate was good for BEVs, but bad for Tesla.

Disagree with "bad for Tesla"
Elon is doing Tesla to hasten the switch to electric transport. see master plan
Elon just said moats are lame.
The US VW build out will be compatible with Teslas: In Terms Of Charging, Tesla Gets The Best Of Both Worlds

VW not doing supercharging, try ultracharging. Tesla doesn't have that either. And have not seen any plans to do so.
What is ultracharging?

Reactions: jgs
Disagree with "bad for Tesla"
Elon is doing Tesla to hasten the switch to electric transport. see master plan
Elon just said moats are lame.
The US VW build out will be compatible with Teslas: In Terms Of Charging, Tesla Gets The Best Of Both Worlds

Before Dieselgate they were moving at compliance pace and still insisting that diesel had a role to play. Although other governments were supportive of electrification (particularly of note were the 2nd and 3rd largest European markets in the UK and France, both of whose large capital cities have terrible air quality), the German government didn't provide support.

Post-dieselgate diesel car sales have collapsed in the major diesel markets, including in Germany. (Sales are down anyway, but diesel car sales are down far more than gasoline car sales). The German manufacturers had diesel as a competitive strength, but the value of that strength is greatly diminished, and it has pushed the German manufacturers to accelerate their electrification programs. The German government also introduce EV incentives.

Meanwhile, in the USA, the result of Dieselgate is a multi-billion dollar investment in CCS charging infrastructure, with a little additional CHAdeMO support. Although more limited than the Supercharger network, it will effectively lower the cost of comprehensive coverage, providing additional help to competing manufacturers, who will find it easier to sell their BEVs, whether they are serious about scaling or they are just going to do what's necessary for regulatory compliance. (CCS had already had a boost in California with another settlement that paid for charger installation. If companies keep screwing up, we could end up with a dense, comprehensive national network "Powered by Criminals").

In my opinion, Dieselgate has increased competitive pressures on Tesla by forcing the hand of German manufacturers, and encouraged China aggressively to pursue electric vehicle manufacturing as a major export industry.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Carl