Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German Tesla 3 owners...What kind of battery consumption at autobahn speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity. When I last drove on the autobahn, on much of it the typical speed appeared to be about 160km/h. What kind of battery consumption do you see at those speeds? 2 kw per rated kw show on the display for example?

Sustained between accel and decel cycles between 400-600wh/mi so 500 isn’t far off.
Temps and head or tailwinds will affect this obviously too..

One could reasonably hop from SC to SC and make use of the best charging rates at this pace..

Yes, assuming you can make it to the next SC I think 114mph is the ideal cruising speed to get to your destination fastest. Here in the US obviously that's not possible; I try to average 82mph on long trips.

I try to average 82mph on long trips.
May I ask what kind of range you get at 82 mph average, compared to the EPA one? Just want to know how much high speeds reduce range. Thank you. And yes, you can easily and safely (both for your license and others) go higher than that for long stretches on my typical El Paso to Austin 600-mile trip; it's pretty open, even when it's I-10.

May I ask what kind of range you get at 82 mph average, compared to the EPA one? Just want to know how much high speeds reduce range. Thank you. And yes, you can easily and safely (both for your license and others) go higher than that for long stretches on my typical El Paso to Austin 600-mile trip; it's pretty open, even when it's I-10.
Totally depends on weather but I observed ~400wh/mi with 10kt head and crosswinds and ambient temps <30-40F cruising at 80-85mph.

Reference car is 2018 P3D+ on stock 20”, Michelin A/S 3+

At 82mph with temperatures between 70f and 95f, you could probably expect about 220 miles on a full charge with the Performance 20's. With 19's, that would be more like 235, and with the 18's it would go up to roughly 250. There are tons of factors that affect range though, battery temp, HVAC usage, elevation, wind speed and direction, tire pressure, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC