Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany tackles my Tesla pet peeve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's promotion of "Price after gas savings" in its order page has been my pet peeve for a long time. I think it makes Tesla look less credible. Just read that Germany has forced Tesla to drop that line. Hope someday Tesla drops it everywhere. I think it is good for Tesla in the long run.

Tesla to drop fuel savings ad for Model 3: German industry association

Tesla's promotion of "Price after gas savings" in its order page has been my pet peeve for a long time. I think it makes Tesla look less credible. Just read that Germany has forced Tesla to drop that line. Hope someday Tesla drops it everywhere. I think it is good for Tesla in the long run.

Tesla to drop fuel savings ad for Model 3: German industry association
I'm mixed on that one. On one hand it is a stretch, but on the other hand people need to be reminded about the savings.

I'm glad Tesla will stop their shady pricing. This was bothering me too. I wrote about this a while ago here:
Tesla advertises optimistic Model 3 prices but not everybody is impressed

If the aim is to inform buyers about potential savings, this should not involve making the actual price less visible and advertising the low price more prominently. Right where people select the trim level, they show the low price instead of the actual price. That's the issue.

Last edited:
This was a case in Norway too. They were not very impressed with this marketing. What if I'm comparing with an another EV?

I believe this marketing would make more sense in some USA states where people are more used to price plus. In some states prices at the mall are shown PLUS taxes. Now in Europe that would never happen, when you go to the mall you want to read how much you actually need to pay at counter tax included. Not price plus plus plus. Who cares what the price is excluded tax anyway?

yeah, honestly I think it did Tesla more harm than good anyway. A lot of people look at it, then realize it is a bamboozle, and get sketched out and turned off from ordering. I don't think they get any more sales from this method, it just turns people off.

Reactions: Pkmmte
As a purchaser I don't mind seeing a projected gas savings on the order form or marketing material. If you are going EV for the first time, the advantages of EVs is all kind of new to someone at that stage and the gas savings is relevant to comparing the cost of the car over time. I do think that listing the projected savings near the purchase price however and explaining how it was arrived at is perfectly acceptable to do.