Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Austin, TX August 15 – 16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the video John. (Interesting choice of music :)).

For those who may have not heard, that high-pitched whine that came on when John floored it was reported to the engineers and has been eliminated (or at least significantly dampened). As I recall, it was a resonant frequency that was triggered by the high current passing through the wires to the motor (or something like that).

Thanks for the video John. (Interesting choice of music :)).

For those who may have not heard, that high-pitched whine that came on when John floored it was reported to the engineers and has been eliminated (or at least significantly dampened). As I recall, it was a resonant frequency that was triggered by the high current passing through the wires to the motor (or something like that).

Thanks (I have a WIDE taste in music :)).

A friend on a different test drive asked about the whine and his Tesla Rep mentioned the cause and the fact that they were working on it. My guy did not.

In any case it was not bad as is.

The reps were also saying that Austin was set to get a store AND service center which I was very happy to hear. When I asked if the store would be in the Domain (where the event was held) the rep gave a huge smile and said, "You might be getting warm".

Overall a great experience. The staff was great and my wife commented that if they could keep that level of service up it was make a huge difference (she is a Benz driver and has not been too happy with our dealer).

A friend on a different test drive asked about the whine and his Tesla Rep mentioned the cause and the fact that they were working on it. My guy did not.

In any case it was not bad as is.

This past weekend, I rode in the brand new Black Performance model in Palo Alto. There was no whine at all, and I clearly heard it when I rode in a different Performance previously.

Glad to know the the whine is being eliminated. I test drove the performance in brown this morning in Austin, and the whine was very much present and quite loud. My rep you could tell didn't know what it was, just said its the motor. I too had read somewhere it was a coupling that vibrated at a certain frequency with high current, and that they were trying to fix it. Austin route was VERY short but awesome, glad to finally see the car in the flesh after having a reservation for so long. To reiterate what I said elsewhere, if you getting white do not get the paint armor - it looked very bad today on the pearl white car, was dirty and already yellowing.

Austin Test Drive

There have been so many great accounts of the test drive experience, so I’ll be brief.

Remarkable.

Tesla flipped a quarter and landed it standing up on its side – a driving experience so unique that it leapfrogs the status quo while also one so natural, intuitive, and familiar that one is instantly comfortable in the car.

They’ve even nailed the sequencing. When you buy something from Apple, the joy starts with the beauty of the box – with the Model S, it’s the door handles. Artful, scientific, high performance, beautiful – the handles tell you the story of the whole car. You expect a different experience when those things present themselves to you. And you get it.

Acceleration? Fabulous, and we drove the standard so if I buckle and spring for the performance we’ll have another amazing moment. Handling? Superb. The car felt more agile than nimble, more fast than quick, and with the right settings, better than my BMW. But it didn’t feel too big for us. Aesthetics? Beautiful. I love the exterior and interior, the materials are quality. Front storage is coming, more cup holders, reading lights, mirror lights, etc. OK, I’ll take them, but I’d drive it out of the storefront and through the mall as is. Display? Totally bitchen’. My 10 year-old son has found his first love. What else? Pano roof, trunk/frunk, stereo, seats, etc. I guess you’ll find flaws if you look for them, you’ll find a lot of greatness too.

Here was a cool takeaway - as quiet as it was in the car, what was more amazing was watching one pull away, silently. Remember the landspeeder hovercraft Luke Skywalker cruised across the desert. Yup, that’s what it sounded like.

It feels like we should have been driving a car like this for the last 50 years. Can we please correct our course over the next 50?

The Tesla reps were cool, said they made it from Houston to Austin on 61KW, driving 70+ with AC on, 60 some odd miles to spare. Probably a 175-mile trip. Glad to hear of an Austin store and showroom by the end of 2012, can’t wait until they stretch 80 miles further south to San Antonio….

When we got back into our 5-series BMW to drive home, my wife, who was a skeptic 60 minutes earlier, remarked, “It’s kind of a letdown,” to which I asked, “What?” And she replied, “This (BMW)” My daughter, after complaining about getting dragged up to Austin from San Antonio, stopped texting and said, 'Dad, that was cool'. My son asked if it was too late to get a Signature.

That sums it up.

All in.

Unfortunately not many of my co-workers can afford this car, but they were amazed and there was quite a bit of Tesla buzz around the office today. Bring on GEN III!

That's the same with many of the people I work with. But only because they have kids and only 1 working family member. Luckily chickens and dogs are cheaper than kids but have no tax advantages :mad:
I will bring an S customer to Tesla - there are plenty of work acquaintances that would be very interested once they see mine.

Austin Test Drive

That sums it up.

All in.
Hell Ya! exact same experience for me-lexus made all 4 of us laugh when we left the test drive. sad what we think is good

Last edited:
When we got back into our 5-series BMW to drive home, my wife, who was a skeptic 60 minutes earlier, remarked, “It’s kind of a letdown,” to which I asked, “What?” And she replied, “This (BMW)” My daughter, after complaining about getting dragged up to Austin from San Antonio, stopped texting and said, 'Dad, that was cool'. My son asked if it was too late to get a Signature.
"You done good, pop!" ;)

Austin Test Drive

Tesla flipped a quarter and landed it standing up on its side – a driving experience so unique that it leapfrogs the status quo while also one so natural, intuitive, and familiar that one is instantly comfortable in the car.

That sums it up.

All in.

Cattledog, you missed your calling as an automotive journalist. You definitely crafted a nice review! Thanks

Austin Test Drive

All in.

I love it!
That was my exact experience as well. After my test drive in Florida, I got into my 2009 Lexus and I felt like I should be turning it into the "Cash For Clunkers" program.
21 months down (waiting), 4 more to go.

The Tesla reps were cool, said they made it from Houston to Austin on 61KW, driving 70+ with AC on, 60 some odd miles to spare. Probably a 175-mile trip. Glad to hear of an Austin store and showroom by the end of 2012, can’t wait until they stretch 80 miles further south to San Antonio….

I am wondering if they RANGE or Standard charged on the trip ........:rolleyes: