Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Palo Alto, 7/14-7/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The route:
coursepa.jpg

I actually was disappointed at first. I expected it to shoot forward when I floored it like the Roadster. (I drove the Performance with 5 passengers). It didn't seem to do that.
It was very quiet, extremely stable, and no body lean. Brakes are excellent and much smoother than a Prius or Leaf. Regen (on standard) seems less drastic than on the Roadster as well - probably less than a Leaf in Eco mode.
I was well behaved and kept under 55 on side roads, but floored it several times.

After the drive, my passenger's immediately commented that it was like a rocket. I think that I just couldn't feel the acceleration in the way I am used to with the windows closed and with a roof. I expect that when I drive mine in my normal way, in traffic with the window and maybe the roof open, I will understand how fast it really is.

The weight makes it a different kind of car than I normally drive. Other than a few years when I drove a 3300lb 635Csi, all of my cars have been small - 1600-2800 pounds or they have been trucks/vans that I drive gently and occasionally. Nothing near the weight of the model S. The extra mass is well controlled - but it is a different experience than a small car.

The large mass and associated massive torque give it a real "road presence". Where some might say the Roadster is/was somewhat of a (very quick) toy, the Model S feels nothing at all like a toy.
It feels substantial and commanding on the road. I think the very stiff chassis contributes a lot to this. Among the many great attributes they have mentioned about the Model S was superior chassis stiffness.
I haven't heard it talked about a lot lately, but it makes itself known when you are accelerating hard over rough stuff and it still seems very composed and feels "solid."

Only black, white and dark blue Teslas today, I was hoping to see the green or brown colors. I wish the red was available on the non-Sig models, but maybe i will get a chance to see a green or brown in person before my number comes up. I would also say that the blue looked darker in person on the car than it does on the website or on the painted panels in the showroom in Santana Row, which makes me wonder what the green and brown really look like!

I really enjoyed the testdrive course, plenty of stop signs giving a chance for a blast-off, enough curvers to feel the roadhugging low center of gravity, and enough straightaways to hit 85 safely (just watch out for the speedtraps, the copilot will alert you). I wasnt thrilled with the steering wheel controls, would like faster access to adjusting the AC/heat, and found the stalks with the shift gear, turn signals and cruise control confusing, but then i have never driven a Mercedes before. I also didnt like the pop-out door handles, I found them too small for my hand, my watch and ring are going to scratch up that paint area if i am not careful.

I test drove a Volt and a Prius later in the day, and the Tesla is another world, with no lean on tight turns, great accelleration and handling, and the futuristic dash and center screens. The blind spots seem smaller on the Tesla than either the Prius or the Volt, and the interior was quieter. However, I am still thinking about getting a red Prius instead, the seats in the Prius are really comfortable now with the Softex leather and electronic lumbar support, the accelleration in "sport" mode is tolerable, and the range on a tank of gas is better than the biggest Tesla battery. As much as i love the quiet, rock-solid handling of the Tesla and the info-center, most of my driving is straight rush hour highway driving, so I mainly need a comfortable seat, reasonable gas mileage, and the ability to park in small spaces (and i like the pricetag on the red Prius alot more than the red Tesla!!). When gas prices hit $10/gallon in a few years i may be ready to shift from hybrid to all-electric!

Last edited:
If you happen to drive or ride the Blue on Sunday, try to get a picture of the VIN.

I'm curious if we might be able to answer this question just by knowing the VIN:
Schlermie said:
The car I was in was ostensibly a Performance model according to the folks working there, although after reviewing my photos, I noticed there was no rear spoiler. I'm fairly certain it had the black interior with red piping though. I certainly wouldn't describe the acceleration as sluggish, but it didn't feel like 4.4s; it felt more like 5.6s.

Did Any of You Drive the Blue Performance Vehicle in Palo Alto Today? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Edit:

For that matter, if you can take a picture of any of the VINs on any of the cars (and maybe give some detail about color or otherwise) that would be lovely. :)

Also, doug, which vehicle was the 00050 VIN from? Looking at your pictures, I get the impression you rode in a white exterior with tan interior. Not sure if it was Pearl or not.

If you happen to drive or ride the Blue on Sunday, try to get a picture of the VIN.

I'm curious if we might be able to answer this question just by knowing the VIN:

Did Any of You Drive the Blue Performance Vehicle in Palo Alto Today? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Edit:

For that matter, if you can take a picture of any of the VINs on any of the cars (and maybe give some detail about color or otherwise) that would be lovely. :)

Also, doug, which vehicle was the 00050 VIN from? Looking at your pictures, I get the impression you rode in a white exterior with tan interior. Not sure if it was Pearl or not.

It was the silver, non-performance model. Doug and MikeK rode with me in the back.

I responded to the post over on the Tesla forum. Don't know what was going on with Schlermie in the blue car. We were told that there was only one performance car, the black one which had the spoiler, so maybe he got in the blue with the wrong expectation?

I wrote on the Tesla forum that I had the opposite experience as Schlermie. I drove a non-performance model, but to me it felt like a performance model from what others have described. At the many stop signs, I would floor it and watch the speedometer climb to 50 mph what seemed no more than two seconds! Really amazing acceleration.

That was a different car than the one used for Mulder's test drive.
I wasn't saying the blue one in Schlermie's post was the same as the one in Mulder's drive. I was trying to confirm that the VIN in Mulder's drive was a non-perf, so that we could perhaps narrow down what vehicles were available, and thus confirm whether the blue was non-perf.

Since then, we've had comments that lead us to reasonably conclude that the blue was indeed non-perf in Schlermie's drive so it's somewhat moot.

Sorry if that was confusing. :)

I wasn't saying the blue one in Schlermie's post was the same as the one in Mulder's drive. I was trying to confirm that the VIN in Mulder's drive was a non-perf, so that we could perhaps narrow down what vehicles were available, and thus confirm whether the blue was non-perf.

Since then, we've had comments that lead us to reasonably conclude that the blue was indeed non-perf in Schlermie's drive so it's somewhat moot.

Sorry if that was confusing. :)

Made perfect sense to me :tongue:

In Fremont, there was only one Blue Model S, with 19 inch wheels and light seats (surely tan). I don't think they would put 19 inch wheels on a performance, although they could theoretically. However sometimes one can't tell blue from black, as on one side the blue often looks really dark, while on the other side, reflections of the blue sky on the black make it a bit blue...

Last edited:
In Fremont, there was only one Blue Model S, with 19 inch wheels and light seats (surely tan). I don't think they would put 19 inch wheels on a non-preformance, although they could theoretically. However sometimes one can't tell blue from black, as on one side the blue often looks really dark, while on the other side, reflections of the blue sky on the black make it a bit blue...

The blue Model S in Fremont had the Sig white/cream interior. I asked if I could buy it but was told no. This configuration is not actually available (sig interior with non sig exterior). Worth asking as it is a nice combination :). Might end up being a one of a kind..