Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a separate HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if I wanted to add an HPWC in parallel with my HPC, that would be okay as long as both cars don't charge full power at the same time?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear. If you wanted a 14-50 in parallel with your HPC, you need to change to a 50A circuit breaker and turn your HPC down to the 50A circuit setting. You cannot have a 50A receptacle on a larger breaker.

Okay, but I could put the HPC and the HPWC on the same circuit?

Okay, but I could put the HPC and the HPWC on the same circuit?

Yes, both are rated for 100A. You'll need to get some special connectors to join the heavy gauge wire. Then, you can either leave them both set up for full power and only use one or the other at a time at full-power, or just dial down the charging in the car if you want to use both at once.

Keep in mind this is all based on the US code... I don't have background in CEC, and it might be different.

@FlasherZ - Another request for clarification:

bad: 100A breaker -- 100A friendly cable -- 14-50R
ok?: 50A breaker -- 100A friendly cable -- 14-50R

In other words, the issue is that the breaker and receptacle have to be matched. The wiring in between can be "overcapable" as much as the buyer is willing to (over)pay for. Correct?

@FlasherZ - Another request for clarification:

bad: 100A breaker -- 100A friendly cable -- 14-50R
ok?: 50A breaker -- 100A friendly cable -- 14-50R

In other words, the issue is that the breaker and receptacle have to be matched. The wiring in between can be "overcapable" as much as the buyer is willing to (over)pay for. Correct?

Yes. There is a technicality here in that certain terminals are only rated for certain size wire, so there is a maximum size too. The ground wire on the HPWC, for example, is rated maximum #4. You shouldn't use #3 or #2 on it, as they may not fit.

Please don't do that. Please don't encourage the others to do that. It is a safety hazard and can invalidate your homeowners' insurance.

Tesla published temporary instructions that consisted of installing a 50A breaker, installing the appropriate conduit (1") with #2 or #3 AWG wiring, to the location where the HPWC would be installed. A full-size junction box is mounted there, where roughly 1' of extra conductor is installed. The #2/#3 is interconnected to a temporary run of #6 which connects to a surface-mounted NEMA 6-50 receptacle below the junction box. Tesla supplied a NEMA 6-50 adapter (in addition to the 14-50 and 5-15) for free to those who had ordered the HPWC with the car. When the HPWC arrives, the electrician simply removes the junction box and temporary outlet, and connects the HPWC directly to the #2/#3, then swaps out the breaker for a 100A breaker.

Electricians use 50A breakers all the time, so they can put them back on the truck. Even if they do charge you for it, a 50A breaker is usually only $15 or so for most panel types.

According to NEC (and I assume CEC as well), a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle may not be connected to a branch circuit with a higher rating than 50A.
\\

Question: I plan to follow the above with the temporary 6-50 receptacle but does the wiring have to be in conduit?

I'm waiting on my Mr. Electric guy to get better informed about the requirements and then he gets back to me with a price quote. My delivery window is March 4 - March 18 (can't believe it will happen then)

Model S Res. #13,967 (AR), non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Panoramic, Tech, Air Suspen,twin chargers

\\

Question: I plan to follow the above with the temporary 6-50 receptacle but does the wiring have to be in conduit?

You'll have to ask your local inspector (or your contractor). Here's what I know:

In the United States your wiring will have to be in conduit, because the only wiring eligible for 100A branch circuit wiring must be protected in a raceway/conduit/armored cable.

In Canada, you have an option that the US doesn't, to use NMD90 cable for the 100A run. This is known as "Romex" cable.

In the US, type NM cable cannot be exposed and must be protected where it is accessible to damage (basically, at any height beneath 7') As a result, it cannot be run on the surface of walls without conduit. Local regulations may apply - for example, in Chicago, Romex is banned for "safety" (read: "to give the unions more work") reasons.

As a result - I don't know the CEC (or local amendments) well enough to give you good guidance. Generally, I'm a supporter of wire-in-conduit for anything larger than 30A anyway.

I have flexible cable in my garage, but it is armoured.

charger.JPG

You'll have to ask your local inspector (or your contractor). Here's what I know:

In the United States your wiring will have to be in conduit, because the only wiring eligible for 100A branch circuit wiring must be protected in a raceway/conduit/armored cable.

In Canada, you have an option that the US doesn't, to use NMD90 cable for the 100A run. This is known as "Romex" cable.

In the US, type NM cable cannot be exposed and must be protected where it is accessible to damage (basically, at any height beneath 7') As a result, it cannot be run on the surface of walls without conduit. Local regulations may apply - for example, in Chicago, Romex is banned for "safety" (read: "to give the unions more work") reasons.

As a result - I don't know the CEC (or local amendments) well enough to give you good guidance. Generally, I'm a supporter of wire-in-conduit for anything larger than 30A anyway.

So, back in the US - the conduit can be that grey 1" PVC stuff right?
If I run the cable completely through the wall, should it be in conduit, inside the wall?

- - - Updated - - -

If I run the cable completely through the wall, should it be in conduit, inside the wall?

Sorry, posted that before I realized I was in the "Canada" forum. My bad...

Actually this is not a conduit; the wires are built in. It is nonmetallic but quite robust.

Interesting... must be a pre-made cable assembly with the same stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Individual wires (THHN/THWN) must be run in a conduit/raceway, inside the wall. NM (non-metallic sheathed) or AC/BX (armored, metal-sheathed) cable can be run inside the walls without need for a conduit.