Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting car specs based on VIN.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
All,
I just happened to check on cars.com and found a used Model S for sale, the exact color I want :smile: But it is only a 60Kw version. A couple questions:
1. What is the real world typical range of a 60Kw on a normal (90-95%?) charge?
2. It was built in February 2013, it is capable of using the Supercharger network?
3. Is there a website somewhere where I can punch in the VIN and find this out should you all not know this (unlikely, I know)?

Thanks,
RT

P.S. It was the cheapest Model S on cars.com, and only has 5,000 miles!

1. Most of us early 60s are getting around 180 +/- 2 miles on a 90% charge these days (ver 5.9.whatever). I see you are in Pasadena, and I think you should get pretty close to rated range since freeway speeds in LA tend to be slow, even though you will likely have the AC going. A 60 is fine in CA especially as they keep expanding the SC network.

2. A Feb 2013 60 was most likely grandfathered into supercharger capability at no additional cost. So if seller says "I paid $2k extra for supercharging" I'd question that. I don't remember when exactly they stopped the "Supercharging Early Adopter Program", but I think a Feb 2013 car should have gotten the discount. After all, I picked up my car on Jan 26.

3. See this thread on decoding VINs

Go for it, and good luck with the purchase!

A Feb 2013 60 was most likely grandfathered into supercharger capability at no additional cost. So if seller says "I paid $2k extra for supercharging" I'd question that. I don't remember when exactly they stopped the "Supercharging Early Adopter Program", but I think a Feb 2013 car should have gotten the discount. After all, I picked up my car on Jan 26.
I took delivery in January 2013 and I paid $2K for Supercharging. I think VINs through the high 3000s got the free Supercharging. I didn't get the finalize button for another couple weeks after the Supercharging announcement.
I've got just over 17K miles and recently saw 202 miles on a range charge.

Do a search for Tesla Vin decoder in Google. It should lead to a thread here at TMC. It to some degree will tell you about the car. Mainly battery size, single or twin charger and if supercharging is enabled ONLY from the factory not if it was added later. I'm not sure what I get at 90-95% charge but I charge my 60 to the mid way "Trip" mark on the charge limit slider. I do 144 miles one way every day and park with 30-40 miles left depending on how I drive.

The 7th character is an "A". So given the following:

Digit 7, Charger Type:
A = 10kw Charger
B = 20kw Charger
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge

Does this mean the vehicle is not capable of Supercharging? That could be why the selling price is so low...

RT

I took delivery in January 2013 and I paid $2K for Supercharging. I think VINs through the high 3000s got the free Supercharging. I didn't get the finalize button for another couple weeks after the Supercharging announcement.
I've got just over 17K miles and recently saw 202 miles on a range charge.

Wow I didn't know the window was so narrow. Thanks for the info.

RT, I think you are reading it correctly - no SpC for this car.

From what you posted it wasn't ordered with supercharging. It could have been added after delivery. It also only has single charger. Twin charger can be added after delivery as well. I'd call the local service center and give them the Vin and see if they can tell you. The only other way is to try it at a supercharger.

All Model S are "capable" of supercharging ... but it needs to be enabled from the mothership before it will work. As I understand it, it's just a software toggle. The $2k cost to enable supercharging has more to do with sharing in the cost of the SC network than with the labour needed to enable it on the car!