Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting "Front passenger safety restraint system fault" error right after updating software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm a new 2023 Tesla MYLR owner and got a notification recently that a new Tesla update was available (2023.2.12). I decided to update a few days ago (on Thursday, March 2) through the Tesla app. Right after the update was finished, I went into the car to check it out and immediately got the following error:

"Front passenger safety restraint system fault
Service is required
"
(this error is now always popping up as soon as I start driving the car)

Anyone else experiencing this error after updating recently?

I searched around for this issue quite a bit but there are many situations in which people encountered this error in the past (spilling water on their seats, randomly after driving a long time, etc). Tried the recommended solutions (restarting the car, adjusting the seat's position, etc) but it still did not make the error go away so looking like I will have to take it into service 🙁

I would recommend opening a service request via the app or even going directly to a local service center given that it's safety restraint related.

Reactions: richyrich and rr_92
I would recommend opening a service request via the app or even going directly to a local service center given that it's safety restraint related.
Thanks! I actually did open a service request like 3-4 weeks back and Tesla is apparently going to replace the seat entirely or something (I've seen reddit posts/threads of some people experiencing this in the past - Tesla either added something or replaced the entire seat).

They're still waiting on the parts so my appointment unfortunately keeps getting pushed.

Edit: It sucks cause there are so many attempted "solutions" on these threads (whether it's a DIY or Tesla Service). I'm just hoping this is fixed first Tesla Service visit cause some people have gone in multiple times but it still hasn't fixed their issue.

Last edited:
Thanks! I actually did open a service request like 3-4 weeks back and Tesla is apparently going to replace the seat entirely or something (I've seen reddit posts/threads of some people experiencing this in the past - Tesla either added something or replaced the entire seat).

They're still waiting on the parts so my appointment unfortunately keeps getting pushed.
I saw that too (replaced seat, but even came back again), I added the links to the threads in my earlier post up above

wow, 3-4 week wait, that's not good. @Elon, help a brother\sister out!

• Love
Reactions: rr_92
I saw that too (replaced seat, but even came back again), I added the links to the threads in my earlier post up above

wow, 3-4 week wait, that's not good. @Elon, help a brother\sister out!
Yeah, it's unfortunate. However, I can still drive the car fine (the notification shows up with a sound and then stays on the screen) but as you mentioned, need to get fixed cause safety concern. Though it ONLY started showing up AFTER that software update mentioned cause prior to that, I never had that warning come up.

I did see 1 post from one of your links that showed to check for wires below the seats. Might check that out to see if anything is not plugged in properly.

Reactions: chobra
I did see 1 post from one of your links that showed to check for wires below the seats. Might check that out to see if anything is not plugged in properly.
Definitely take a peek underneath the seat in case something is obvious\disconnected.

Recently I installed the under seat containers and noticed a 2" x 2" plug was not secured to the metal base under the passenger seat, it was connected but just flapping in the wind. I think it might have even said restraint or safety something, maybe yours is not fully connected.

Definitely take a peek underneath the seat in case something is obvious\disconnected.

Recently I installed the under seat containers and noticed a 2" x 2" plug was not secured to the metal base under the passenger seat, it was connected but just flapping in the wind. I think it might have even said restraint or safety something, maybe yours is not fully connected.
Will give that a try tomorrow then, thanks!

Reactions: chobra
Will give that a try tomorrow then, thanks!
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
1680309150594.png

Make sure these are fully seated\connected too

1680309199035.png

Just took my MYP last Friday for the same problem. Not sure what they did but it's fixed.
How long was it at Service for? Are you able to view the "Cost Estimate" PDF under "Service" option in your Tesla app? It should list all the parts being replaced or added.

Mine currently shows 4 particular bolts and 1 LH driver seat so I'm assuming that they're gonna just replace the entire seat.

It was there for a few hours as they had to replace a tail lamp with stress cracks in it as well. As far as the repair to the passenger seat, here it is:

Attachments

• tesla_invoicedc652899-e3e2-4abd-af18-22d7ebc82647_230401_135849_Page_2.jpg
    tesla_invoicedc652899-e3e2-4abd-af18-22d7ebc82647_230401_135849_Page_2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 708
Reactions: rr_92
Hey all,

I'm a new 2023 Tesla MYLR owner and got a notification recently that a new Tesla update was available (2023.2.12). I decided to update a few days ago (on Thursday, March 2) through the Tesla app. Right after the update was finished, I went into the car to check it out and immediately got the following error:

"Front passenger safety restraint system fault
Service is required
"
(this error is now always popping up as soon as I start driving the car)

Anyone else experiencing this error after updating recently?

I searched around for this issue quite a bit but there are many situations in which people encountered this error in the past (spilling water on their seats, randomly after driving a long time, etc). Tried the recommended solutions (restarting the car, adjusting the seat's position, etc) but it still did not make the error go away so looking like I will have to take it into service 🙁
I got that error after updating to 6.11 2 days ago. Hard to believe it’s a real error considering it only came up literally right after the update finished.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I have a service appt in a few weeks for this error but it is for a harness re-work kit under the passenger seat. "Service kit - self capacitance rework (1479982-00-C)"

OP, post the error code that shows up in the Notifications section. Mine was OCS1P_w125.

It popped up after an update, then started happening whenever my wife would sit in the passenger seat. Then started to slowly go away, but still getting the harness replaced soon.

I got that error after updating to 6.11 2 days ago. Hard to believe it’s a real error considering it only came up literally right after the update finished.
I have a service appt in a few weeks for this error but it is for a harness re-work kit under the passenger seat. "Service kit - self capacitance rework (1479982-00-C)"

OP, post the error code that shows up in the Notifications section. Mine was OCS1P_w125.

It popped up after an update, then started happening whenever my wife would sit in the passenger seat. Then started to slowly go away, but still getting the harness replaced soon.
I've been actively posting my updates on another thread since this one initially didn't get many replies:
Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

I finally went to my Tesla Service appointment recently after many reschedules from them so one of my latest replies in there have my updates. Since then, I have not received the system restraint fault error again.

I’m also dealing with this issue. First appointment they reseated all the connections and said it was fixed and the error came back. Second appointment they said they put some device between the seat and the car and called it fixed, also came back. Latest is they replaced the entire seat, and lo and behold it’s come back. I have another appointment in a couple weeks but at this point I don’t have high hopes.