Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting pissed with degredation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've done two charge cycles. First time after a week let it sit at 15% and charged to 90 and the second time 19% to 90. I've gained back 5 miles. So this might actually work. Hoping I keep getting gains like this. I've gained about 5 miles. Nothing significant but with the rapid degredation I was seeing this gives me hope.
Thanks buddy. I haven’t gone that low SOC but I will this next time and do like you suggested, twice. Keep me posted and I’ll do the same.

So I've done two charge cycles. First time after a week let it sit at 15% and charged to 90 and the second time 19% to 90. I've gained back 5 miles. So this might actually work. Hoping I keep getting gains like this. I've gained about 5 miles. Nothing significant but with the rapid degredation I was seeing this gives me hope.

Did you wait until the battery completely cooled down for a few hours before starting to charge?

With gains like that, you'll be at 350 miles in no time...

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this... but do you think this will work with charging at 120v as well? I just moved to a new house and don't have the charging station or even a 240v outlet installed yet. I'm in a similar boat but not freaking out yet since this is my 4th electric car and I know how it goes...

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this... but do you think this will work with charging at 120v as well? I just moved to a new house and don't have the charging station or even a 240v outlet installed yet. I'm in a similar boat but not freaking out yet since this is my 4th electric car and I know how it goes...

I don't see why it wouldn't, though, it would take probably 2 and a half days to charge. I would honestly wait until you get an outlet put in. If your handy, run the wiring and set up the charger at your house when you get the chance. That way you will save money. All they will have to do is tie it into the breaker.

Reactions: CellarRat
I know. Every time I do a fairly deep discharge and charge back up to 90% my range goes down. Sorry but I’ll remain pissed. The recent range loss occurred with 1700 miles on the odometer. I’ll post my range after the current charge. Ketchup Killah is experiencing the same thing. I think he’s rightly pissed too.
Hey Carter how are you? Sorry to hear about all this. I assume you are comparing battery range numbers at the same temperature of the battery pack yes? As our temperatures are getting colder everybody's range is going down. That's why I wouldn't sweat it unless you're really sure that you are measuring range at the same pack temperature

Hey Carter how are you? Sorry to hear about all this. I assume you are comparing battery range numbers at the same temperature of the battery pack yes? As our temperatures are getting colder everybody's range is going down. That's why I wouldn't sweat it unless you're really sure that you are measuring range at the same pack temperature
Thanks Doug. I’m doing OK thanks for asking. Attached is my latest Teslafi battery report. Range seems to have leveled off. Let me know what you think. Weather here has been great. Temps in the mid 70s to 80.

Attachments

• F3C8B7A1-C500-48AA-B01C-633E358A7DA2.png
    F3C8B7A1-C500-48AA-B01C-633E358A7DA2.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Doug. I’m doing OK thanks for asking. Attached is my latest Teslafi battery report. Range seems to have leveled off. Let me know what you think. Weather here has been great. Temps in the mid 70s to 80.

Yes it's the kind of curve you see all the time for the car. It's clearly not battery degradation that's happening in one great big gulp. This kind of stuff was reported after one particular firmware update in 2019(and both of our car showed something like this with an 8 Mile dip for no apparent reason) and I suspect these other big stepwise reductions have more to do with the battery management system than they do with the battery. I still don't think we understand exactly how the battery management system works and how it calculates range. There's lots of posting about this but I'm not sure that anybody truly knows exactly what goes on when all of a sudden your range drops by 10 miles. It's safe to say that's not dendrite formation happening in a matter of days. It's something else. What these kinds of dips really reflect is unclear to me. Actual physical degradation probably simply doesn't happen this way or this quickly outside a very unusual circumstances like people leaving their car charged at 100% on a hot day 4 days. Or leaving it on a cold day close to zero. But I can't say that I understand what these dips mean in terms of the actual battery.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes it's the kind of curve you see all the time for the car. It's clearly not battery degradation that's happening in one great big gulp. This kind of stuff was reported after one particular firmware update in 2019(and both of our car showed something like this with an 8 Mile dip for no apparent reason) and I suspect these other big stepwise reductions have more to do with the battery management system than they do with the battery. I still don't think we understand exactly how the battery management system works and how it calculates range. There's lots of posting about this but I'm not sure that anybody truly knows exactly what goes on when all of a sudden your range drops by 10 miles. It's safe to say that's not dendrite formation happening in a matter of days. It's something else. What these kinds of dips really reflect is unclear to me. Actual physical degradation probably simply doesn't happen this way or this quickly outside a very unusual circumstances like people leaving their car charged at 100% on a hot day 4 days. Or leaving it on a cold day close to zero. But I can't say that I understand what these dips mean in terms of the actual battery.
Thanks Doug. I have a new June 2020 LR Dual motor. Love the car. Backed into a sign post last weekend causing 8 K in damage. Nightmare. Anyway, I plan on letting my SOC go down to 20% and charge to 90@ and see what happens. I’ll keep you posted.

A better indication of actual degradation is supercharging performance. If you are noticing significantly steeper tapering then that is a good indication that you’re suffering significant capacity loss. With the early S vehicles we found that supercharging speed reduction was outpacing range loss on a percentage basis.

Here is a good reference put together by @David99
25% slower Supercharging due to degradation

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Ketchup, I think we have bad batteries. After last night’s charge I’m down 12 miles and 3.72% range loss. I’m gonna contact Tesla to see if they can reset the BMS. Let me know your thoughts on this.
If you think yours is bad, they call this within spec....

our SR+ never was the +

ScanMyTesla only confirms it. 45.x kWh of the 54.45 it should have. Was like this when we got it

Attachments

• E96BBECA-37AF-4359-8553-0D87B8CE52EE.jpg
    E96BBECA-37AF-4359-8553-0D87B8CE52EE.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 37
For some, having all the data is a healthy exercise, allowing them access to dig deeper into the way the car works, and provides enjoyment as they figure it out.

For many others, having all the data provides endless hours of frustration as they obsess about things they can not change, and encourages them to make demands that can not be met.
And constant monitoring likely contributes to the issue as the car has little time to sleep and balance. My car is showing a drop of about 1 mile if I compare the first 10 data points to the last 10. For a loss of .3% over 32 months and 44,000 miles. Rarely do I use sentry mode, no 3rd party apps, when I take a trip I charge to 100%, about once a quarter, and I have now problem driving to below 5% on trips. But otherwise I keep it plugged in. We will see if this last drop with the new firmware corrects itself after our trip next week.
Model3_range.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-30_9-24-46.png
    upload_2020-9-30_9-24-46.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White