Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting USB too slow error with V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Is anyone else getting a USB too slow error with V10? The USB stick I have is one of Samsung's fast ones,
Samsung MUF-32AB/AM FIT Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash
Car is 2018 Model X (May build) so I assume that is AP2.5 and MCU 2

Any thoughts on a how fast I drive I need?

Hi Jboy210,

That is weird... Mine is a March 2018 X with MCU2... AP 2.5

I am using a PNY 64GB 200MB/s USB 3.0 Flash Drive Elite-X Fit from Amazon
and it (seems) to work OK. It is tiny.

I always get "the drive is corrupted" error but after a "scan and fix" by Windows (10) it says "No errors"
and works fine - Film clips are present and legible.

???

Shawn

Hi Jboy210,

That is weird... Mine is a March 2018 X with MCU2... AP 2.5

I am using a PNY 64GB 200MB/s USB 3.0 Flash Drive Elite-X Fit from Amazon
and it (seems) to work OK. It is tiny.

I always get "the drive is corrupted" error but after a "scan and fix" by Windows (10) it says "No errors"
and works fine - Film clips are present and legible.

???

Shawn

Thanks Shawn,

Are you on V10? This drive was fine before V10.

Hi Jboy210,

Yes, I am on V10 - 2019.32.11

I got the rapid sequence double update over the weekend.
I still get the error message about drive needing repair.

Since 9/28/2019, I see the addition of a 4th file to the sets, one for the rear camera... There is valid video
data in those files...

I do not see an additional "Sentry" file or folder. I'm not sure if I am supposed to create one.
I know my car has been on Sentry mode but there have not been any events...

Shawn

I wonder if it has something
Hi Jboy210,

Yes, I am on V10 - 2019.32.11

I got the rapid sequence double update over the weekend.
I still get the error message about drive needing repair.

Since 9/28/2019, I see the addition of a 4th file to the sets, one for the rear camera... There is valid video
data in those files...

I do not see an additional "Sentry" file or folder. I'm not sure if I am supposed to create one.
I know my car has been on Sentry mode but there have not been any events...

Shawn

I wonder if it is this new rear camera capture pushing the bandwidth requirements too high for most USB sticks.

I am also seeing this on my MX since it is upgraded to 2019.32.11. I ran speed test on 2 different USB drives. Both are faster than 4MB/s on sequential write (8 and 12 MB/s respectively), and both are hitting this error after a day or 2.

Unplug and re-plug the USB drive will remove the error, until it happens again.

This is definitely a bug.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
I am also seeing this on my MX since it is upgraded to 2019.32.11. I ran speed test on 2 different USB drives. Both are faster than 4MB/s on sequential write (8 and 12 MB/s respectively), and both are hitting this error after a day or 2.

Unplug and re-plug the USB drive will remove the error, until it happens again.

This is definitely a bug.
Same here with USB-3 drive. Worked fine previously but fails frequently since the 32.11 update.

It is not your USB drive. This error has appeared intermittently for many folks on v9 and also v10 firmware. FWIW I have seen it intermittently, and have been using a big fast video rated USB 3.1 jump drive for a year. When I see the error I just pull the drive out and reinsert it. We have to wait for Tesla to sort this out.

It is not your USB drive. This error has appeared intermittently for many folks on v9 and also v10 firmware. FWIW I have seen it intermittently, and have been using a big fast video rated USB 3.1 jump drive for a year. When I see the error I just pull the drive out and reinsert it. We have to wait for Tesla to sort this out.

This bug is exceptionally annoying and really defeats the purpose of having the feature in the first place... Mine started with v9 and no matter how many times I reformat the thing, it comes back after a few days. What's worse is it ALWAYS seems to happen when sentry mode detects something which of course makes sentry mode useless...

Anyone without this bug care to comment on what kind of USB drive you're using? It's possible that mine is just not good enough even though it meets the specifications on paper...

Jeff

Hi Jeffro01,

It's not anything fancy... but I use a PNY 64GB 200MB/s USB 3.0 Flash Drive Elite-X Fit from Amazon.
It is very small.

I have not received the error too slow message, but I always get "this drive needs to be repaired" message
after putting it into the computer. I put it in and scan with repair to the result "no errors found."

I see yesterday there was a Sentry event - I opened the trunk not knowing it was in Sentry mode, so it showed me
reaching for the trunk open button on the trunk.

It also added a "SentryClips" subfolder to the TeslaCam folder which was not there before.

Shawn

I never had the error with V9. Then V10 hit and an error occurred.

But perhaps it is OK with V10. After my original post I pulled the Samsung USB out and reformatted it, and for 2 days have not had an error. Hopefully this will continue.

I haven't have my model 3 long enough on v9 (recent purchase) to know for sure, but ever since moving to v10 Sentry seems all but useless. Constant "usb too slow" errors are preventing it from capturing events. If I engage the dashcam while driving it happily records everything perfectly, so I know the drive can handle 4x streams being written to it without issue.

I never had the error with V9. Then V10 hit and an error occurred.

But perhaps it is OK with V10. After my original post I pulled the Samsung USB out and reformatted it, and for 2 days have not had an error. Hopefully this will continue.

Update.

Received update yesterday. Got a couple of sentry events today. No 'USB too slow' error. So maybe latest updated fixed the issue.