Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFI Pops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Tesla 11 months ago. I have been charging it from a 120V outlet in my garage since we got it. Things have been working fine. Most days I don't drive much and little outlet has been just fine to keep it charged up. About a week ago, the GFCI on the outlet started popping. I turned it down to 10A and it is still popping. Strange that it worked fine for 11 months and now this starts. The only thing that changed was a SW update, but that seems unlikely to cause this. Anyone else seen this?

PS. there's no need to tell me to get a 14-50 or a HPWC

EVSE's are required to have integral GFCI protection and test it before turning on power to the car. That's why the UMC/HPWC will fault with a bad ground. The internal GFCI test can trip upstream GFCI's, which is why using GFCI outlets are not necessary nor required. Lowering the charge current won't help, because the test occurs prior to starting to charge.

If you can't use another non-GFCI outlet, try replacing the GFCI as others have suggested.

GFCIs wear out with age. I can't count the number of GFCIs I've replaced through the years. Annoying for sure. Replace it and it should work. Btw, what's the circuit breaker amperage on your outlet? If it is 20A, then I'd get a 20A GFCI receptacle (they come in 15A or 20A) and a Tesla NEMA 5-20 adapter and charge at about 42% faster speed.