Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still unconvinced that UK cars will suddenly start coming from Berlin.

Essentially the whole of Europe is LHD, UK is the only RHD country of note. China, on the other hand, are close to all of the other RHD markets so will carry on making them. As long as there are still any boats coming over from China for any models (i.e. a sunk cost) then I can see no reason why they’d stop making them for the UK.

People have mentioned this “10% import duty” thing, but I doubt it’s as simple as Tesla saving 10%. The overall cost to build cars (wages, overtime, etc) may in fact be more expensive in Germany than China, and there is - again - the fact that they will have lots of LHD work to keep them busy.

I guess we’ll see soon enough.

It's because some people insist that the bonnet or hood name should only ever be used to describe the lid that covers the actual ICE

What did we call the luggage space at the front of an original VW Beetle? I'm old enough to remember the car, too old to remember the word ...

As long as there are still any boats coming over from China for any models (i.e. a sunk cost)

I see what you did there :)

I’m still unconvinced that UK cars will suddenly start coming from Berlin.

Essentially the whole of Europe is LHD, UK is the only RHD country of note. China, on the other hand, are close to all of the other RHD markets so will carry on making them. As long as there are still any boats coming over from China for any models (i.e. a sunk cost) then I can see no reason why they’d stop making them for the UK.

People have mentioned this “10% import duty” thing, but I doubt it’s as simple as Tesla saving 10%. The overall cost to build cars (wages, overtime, etc) may in fact be more expensive in Germany than China, and there is - again - the fact that they will have lots of LHD work to keep them busy.

I guess we’ll see soon enough.
It may depend on capacity. If Berlin is full time building lhd for Europe and China has capacity then nothijng will change. Once Berlin has built up spare capacity we will see I guess

The MY Berlin are using the new single front and rear castings right? which means the battery pack is structural I think but do we know for certain they have actually switched over to the 4680 cells? or might the initial production still be using the current cell format?
I am assuming there have been no changes to the range estimates even if the new one is better since they are still supplying MiC cars in the EU in parallel.
If I was Tesla I would not want to make a step change to range even if I could since it would cause problems like cancelations of orders in other markets to wait for the update so I would think any advertised improvements would be small to begin with and ramped over time maybe?. Its not like Tesla are exactly playing catch up on range compared to the competition anyway. If anything they may use less cells and save money and cells I would think since 4680 will be in short supply for a while.

yes but did they say when? late 2022 is awfully vague and could easily become early 2023...
I think given the current world situation, and other hold ups giga berlin is facing, it could easily become 2023 for the Ps, and we could be waiting a year or more LRs.

That’s why I’m getting a MY now, and then possibly get a berlin MY in a year or two, if the improvements to them are worthwhile.

Reactions: Jason71
China. Any Performance ordered now will come from Berlin, hence the current “late 2022” delivery estimate.

OK that’s clear. I’m not bothered either way to be honest, just interested. I’m confident that my Made in China MY will be a step up in quality vs my Made in USA 2019 M3. The MY I test drove seemed pretty well put together.

Reactions: Thp3 and Jason71
I was planning on waiting until next year for a Berlin MY, but what made me order a couple of weeks ago is the price increases. The MY is likely to go up in price by up to £5k once the next batches have been sold. Whatever improvement the 4680 bring from Berlin it won’t be worth £5k in my opinion, especially since it’s unlikely there will be any range increase.

I was planning on waiting until next year for a Berlin MY, but what made me order a couple of weeks ago is the price increases. The MY is likely to go up in price by up to £5k once the next batches have been sold. Whatever improvement the 4680 bring from Berlin it won’t be worth £5k in my opinion, especially since it’s unlikely there will be any range increase.
for a lot of us its that AND the current high trade in values. Trade in is probably at a high and new price at a low. Price to change may never be as good as it is now. With new M3 taking until November Tesla are making decent money on used M3's based on the prices they are asking so they are offering good money for trade in

Reactions: phoenixcat
surely most manufacturers will have designed cars to be relatively easy to swap LHD/RHD? in Tesla's case without even a tilted screen towards the driver, its almost literally just the wheel/pedal units and the seats swapped (due to lumbar only in drivers side)

Just for completeness.

UK, Ireland, Cyprus (technically EU, not the continent) and Malta drive are RHD.

I counted Cyprus because it's linked to Germany by the EU.

Oh how nothing is a simple answer nowadays.
UK + Ireland + Cyprus is about 15% of the European market, with the UK being the 3rd largest market, just behind France.
In 2021 they were 16.4% of the EV market, with the UK being the 2nd largest market, ahead of France.
Germany is by far the largest European market, for BEVs and PHEVs.
While Italy is close to the UK for overall sales, for EVs Germany, the UK and France are significantly larger than other markets, although most markets are seeing significant growth in PEV sales.

surely most manufacturers will have designed cars to be relatively easy to swap LHD/RHD?

Indeed, but they may have other reasons for manufacturing in, say, China. e.g. closer to Japanese / Australian markets so could decide to keep all RHD manufacturing there. UK is a big market for Tesla though, so I reckon cost of shipping on a large number of vehicles, and import duty differences China / EU, will likely be a significant factor ... but if Berlin can sell all-it-can-make as LHD on continently EU then I can't see Tesla rushing to add RHD to the mix.

... I can see it now ... "Your Bluewater collection has been moved to ... Berlin" :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Jason71