Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y parcel shelf.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone is interested but I have some photos I took of the new parcel shelf on my new Model Y LR. I will just drop some of them in quickly and I can give some answers or even a review from my experiences tomorrow if required.

20230801_080935.jpg

20230801_081716.jpg

Showing underneath:
20230801_081851.jpg

Hatch closed looking over back seat:
20230801_081435.jpg

We have 3 "station wagon" ICE.
They all have a retractable screen over the top of the boot space in the same way as the Parcel shelf.

They were a nuisance and all 3 have them sitting in the garage.
While this is different to a parcel shelf as a parcel shelf can carry some weight, I think it is not for us

We have 3 "station wagon" ICE.
They all have a retractable screen over the top of the boot space in the same way as the Parcel shelf.

They were a nuisance and all 3 have them sitting in the garage.
While this is different to a parcel shelf as a parcel shelf can carry some weight, I think it is not for us
I use the parcel shelf to keep prying eyes away from the often very expensive equipment in the boot

Thanks for posting
NP. Thanks for the appreciation.:)
- do you think it would cut any noise out of stuff rattling around in your boot? It looks quite thick and almost of a soft material - perhaps it has some sound absorbing qualities?
As I said previously here in another thread where I wrote:

" 5. A parcel shelf, I think Tesla calls it, is now included which I think seems to make the interior quieter especially over rougher roads from my initial impression. Extra sound deadening is probably showing up here I think. But this is just my initial impression and it could be just the "vibe" as they say for me to notice this."

Now after driving the MY LR more than a week now our family all agree between the more comfortable suspension and the parcel shelf the whole sense of the better interior noise levels compared to the MY RWD we replaced it with is noticeable in our opinion.

The rear suspension noises on rough roads or luggage rattling is not "booming" or "spreading" as much for lack of better words throughout the cabin. Which is why Tesla probably put it there instead of just a thin retractable screen for privacy reasons in other cars I think.

Hope you understand what I mean.:)

Last edited:

" 5. A parcel shelf, I think Tesla calls it, is now included which I think seems to make the interior quieter especially over rougher roads from my initial impression. Extra sound deadening is probably showing up here I think. But this is just my initial impression and it could be just the "vibe" as they say for me to notice this."

Now after driving the MY LR more than a week now our family all agree between the more comfortable suspension and the parcel shelf the whole sense of the better interior noise levels compared to the MY RWD we replaced it with is noticeable in our opinion.

The rear suspension noises on rough roads or luggage rattling is not "booming" or "spreading" as much for lack of better words throughout the cabin. Which is why Tesla probably put it there instead of just a thin retractable screen for privacy reasons in other cars I think.

So this came with the MYLR and not an after market job? If this is now included I'm miffed again. Firstly I missed the $4,000 price drop by 3 days and now they start including this. Only had the car a month.

Reactions: JonDarian
So this came with the MYLR and not an after market job? If this is now included I'm miffed again. Firstly I missed the $4,000 price drop by 3 days and now they start including this. Only had the car a month.
Yes it came with my new MY LR that I ordered in April when the LR became available.

I can see how this is disappointing for you and I also feel bad for the people that bought the MY RWD off me that could have got a new MY RWD for the same price because of the price drop just after they bought it from me.

I really hope they are still as happy with their purchase as when they drove off from here and looking forward to their first introduction to EVs (and Tesla) and not even having owned PHEVs like I have since 2014 which made it easy for me to shift across to a BEV IMO.

Last edited:

The booming in the model S is quite severe, especially for younger ears (apparently). Your comment that the shelf interupts it makes sense.

Mine was ordered made, and then delivered in late November…
It has the older 2 fold parcel shelf…
IMG_2454.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

I measured ~4” from the rearward edge of the rail going forward is the first magnet.
The second magnet is 2” from the notch going backwards.
Mine has a subtle taper or downward slope at about 10 1/2” to 10 3/4” from the rearmost curved edge.
~31” deep (front to back along the middle ie deepest partition) and 41 1/4” to 41 1/2” wide.

In case anyone needed those dimensions.

Does the 3 fold parcel shelf rail have magnets in the same position? (Ie, is it the same rail for both shelves)