Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving up my M6 tomorrow for p90d. having remorse help ease my mind!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a pretty stereotypical "car guy" that has spent decades reading every car magazine, going to dealership lots on sunday just to look around, have driven and raced cars, have friends with insane vehicles, etc. I owned quite a few BMWs over the years. Eventually though, the EV won me over and I sold an M3 for (GASP!!!!!!) a flippin' Leaf. And you know what, I actually enjoy driving the Leaf around town far more than the M3. I don't miss the noise. I don't miss the gas station. I don't miss shifting gears. I almost never think about the M3.

The Leaf is just a stopgap until my Tesla's arrive, but it only took a few days for me to realize that even for a car enthusiast EV's have much to offer. Sell that antique M6 and never look back.

The S is not a track car. Street cars make lousy track cars and track cars make lousy street cars (same is true with motorcycles). The model S is a great (the best IMO) street car.

I disagree. McLaren P1 is a road car, Porsche GT3, GT4 are also road car but they are neither lousy track car nor lousy street car.
Model S is not definitely a track car we are all agree on that. The reason why I start posting here is that some people think that Model S can win over just about any car because of its acceleration. I don't know about you but I'd love to use steering wheel when I am going fast..

I'm a pretty stereotypical "car guy" that has spent decades reading every car magazine, going to dealership lots on sunday just to look around, have driven and raced cars, have friends with insane vehicles, etc. I owned quite a few BMWs over the years. Eventually though, the EV won me over and I sold an M3 for (GASP!!!!!!) a flippin' Leaf.

I've told my 12 year old daughter that her first car will be a Leaf. She hates the Leaf. Says she won't drive it. When it comes to riding the bus vs driving to high school, we'll see what she decides to do in the end ;)

Well boys (and girls) she's gone. My M6 has sailed off into the sunset. It was nice knowing ya! I sure hope I like my tesla. I pick it up wednesday. Be in a rental until then. Feeling bummed right now!

IMG_8115.jpg
IMG_8117.jpg

So I have a 2 yr old M6 gran coupe loaded to the gills and I love driving it. I am having someone take over my lease (picking it up tomorrow). And I have an inventory p90d, also fully loaded, on the way to Florida as we speak. However I have never owned a tesla and I am having remorse about letting go of my M6 all of the sudden. If I loved it maybe I shouldn't have let it go? Someone help me feel at peace with my decision! Please?
I love the gran coupe, but I expect you'll enjoy driving the Tesla more. All things come to pass. Your remorse will soon.

I had a 991 Porsche 911S that I tracked at Miller Speedway in Utah. Incredible car on the track, but the acceleration for everyday driving was uninspiring. I sold it for my first Model S, and I have never looked back. Most Tesla owners, even the driving enthusiasts, stop driving their Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, etc after they get used to a Tesla for a while. Instant torque and no transmission shifting is beyond words. Never having to stop for gas, priceless. I can't think of an ICE I would want to drive for more than a day if you gave it to me for free.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
I'm a pretty stereotypical "car guy" that has spent decades reading every car magazine, going to dealership lots on sunday just to look around, have driven and raced cars, have friends with insane vehicles, etc. I owned quite a few BMWs over the years. Eventually though, the EV won me over and I sold an M3 for (GASP!!!!!!) a flippin' Leaf. And you know what, I actually enjoy driving the Leaf around town far more than the M3. I don't miss the noise. I don't miss the gas station. I don't miss shifting gears. I almost never think about the M3.

The Leaf is just a stopgap until my Tesla's arrive, but it only took a few days for me to realize that even for a car enthusiast EV's have much to offer. Sell that antique M6 and never look back.

Agree on the EV conversion after becoming a dad. My F10 M5 sat in the garage for 4 months after I bought the Leaf to be my daily driver -- only a 6-mile commute with half city miles but the Leaf can use the HOV lane for the other 3 miles -- and I get priority parking everywhere. So moral of the story is that while the M5 is faster than the Leaf, the Leaf got me places faster!

Sold the M5 after having to take it out just to drive around and recharge the "battery." I miss the idea of owning the best V10 engine but not the maintenance one bit. Seller's remorse crept in so getting the MS.

OP -- you are skipping the step of owning an inferior EV. Lucky you!

To me, Tesla cannot possibly replace real driver's car such as M cars, Porsche GT3, GT4 etc.
I take my cars to track often and Tesla P90D or P200D cannot come even close to ICE cars.

If you like drag racing and doesn't use your ICE car like what it meant to be driven, Tesla will be enough for you.

Tracking Teslas

The Tesla Racing Series - TESLARATI.com

The Ultimate Tesla Model S Autocross Enduro Race
upload_2016-6-17_7-37-36.png

-- passing plenty of ice, and especially killing those turn exits:

Abraham Shrem racing his TESLA Model S at Willow Springs International Raceway

Tesla Model S Performance on racetrack in France

[Tesla] At the Race Track - Burrow's Day Part I

Tesla Model S EV P85 track days Laguna Seca raceways

TESLARATI "48" Tesla, 2nd place EV TT finish at Laguna Seca 07-20-2014

TESLARATI "48" Tesla at Sonoma 06/07/2015

Electrifying Lime Rock Park’s Short Circuit in a Tesla Model S P85 (Yes, We Tracked It)

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures tesla sent of my P90D on the way to Florida to replace the M6. Apparently I'm drawn to choosing black cars.

View attachment 181189 View attachment 181190

Pretty much my car except in black. I think you'll have a lot of fun driving it. It's not going to be the exact same as the M6, but hopefully you'll love all the great things about the Tesla. I've driven and owned many cars and I'll take my MS any day of the week.

Congrats on your trade to a P90D!
Had plenty of BMWs. Had a Model S P85 for the past 3 years. BMW shareholder and enthusiast for 20 years, but have to admit that Model S wins hands down. The superior driver interface of the Tesla outweighs the Beemer fit and finish many times over, for me. The ultra low center of mass combined with the softer suspension, the cargo space, the effortless power, no other car can really touch it.

Reactions: TJ&TheBeast