Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving up on buying a Tesla because of the Supercharger situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
always full? that sounds a little hard to believe. like 24/7/365 full or just once in awhile?

The CCS adapters so far have been...hot, to say the least. no thanks using something that fire-y on my Tesla.

Chademo (using the Tesla approved adapter) is woefully slow and i've been down that road for "fast" charging (2014 Leaf). not even close to reliable to count on the few Chademo outlets.

Yes, the Supercharger network currently isn't absolutely perfect. and the EA network even further from perfect. fast charging will get there. There's no way I'd even consider other than a Tesla for long distance EV travel. But i don't drive I-26 either, haha. My "out west" Superchargers are filling out nicely. Too slow a roll-out but it IS happening. Sometimes 12-20 stalls at a time! Most 250kW chargers are installed 8 at a time since more thruput (cars charge for 15 min and go) is expected as more Teslas get on the EV road trip.

It's all good. my opinion. YOMV (your opinion may vary)

I know what you mean on slower "fast" charging. My wife refuses to take our Bolt on this trip because it adds too much time to the trip (almost an hour) "fast" charging at 55 KW.

Based on looking at maps of other places, it looks like the Supercharger network beats the combined other networks in terms of locations in 9 out of 10 places and in terms of reliability probably more like 19 out of 20 times. It just seems like I-26 might currently be that 1 out of 10.

Reactions: RTPEV
I don't get this. The driving distance is 280 miles. With conservative driving you could make this with NO STOPS. Also, there IS a supercharger 1/2 of the way on your trip in Columbia, SC. I detect some FUD here.
You obviously haven't driven this route. It adds at least 20 minutes right now. That is enough to make the CHAdeMO a faster option for most trips. It is a really bad setup.

EA is better for this route, but not better overall. They have a similar issue for someone continuing on to Charlotte instead of upstate South Carolina.

Reactions: WFU03
You obviously haven't driven this route. It adds at least 20 minutes right now. That is enough to make the CHAdeMO a faster option for most trips. It is a really bad setup.

EA is better for this route, but not better overall. They have a similar issue for someone continuing on to Charlotte instead of upstate South Carolina.
So charge at the CHAde MO?

FUD
noun

1. fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.
    "the FUD factor"

• Informative
Reactions: SilverMonk

Agreed, both Spartanburg and Orangeburg need a supercharger.
Been saying this for a while.
  • Spartanburg allows you to charge up before going into real elevation changes and also helps with I-85 traffic
  • Orangeburg would also be useful for all Charlotte ppl to bypass Columbia (on packs <100kwh - you pretty much have to hit that supercharger now)

Reactions: WFU03
Agreed, both Spartanburg and Orangeburg need a supercharger.
Been saying this for a while.
  • Spartanburg allows you to charge up before going into real elevation changes and also helps with I-85 traffic
  • Orangeburg would also be useful for all Charlotte ppl to bypass Columbia (on packs <100kwh - you pretty much have to hit that supercharger now)
Exactly, and Spartanburg would pretty conveniently split I85 between the new Fair Play location and Charlotte too.

Reactions: WFU03 and mikes_fsd
So charge at the CHAde MO?

FUD
noun

1. fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.
    "the FUD factor"

I don't understand your usage of FUD here. There's no FUD in stating facts and describing actual inconveniences. The good news is that Tesla really is working on them. Its much better in this state now than 12 months ago, and I know a lot more are coming in the next 12-18 months too.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yeah, I’m not getting this either. A gap of 171 miles (Hilton Head to Columbia) certainly can’t be call a “desert” — not by Western standards. And, when I plug this trip onto ABRP I see it’s only 20 minutes longer than driving a Mach-E. If you make this drive several times a year you’ll almost certainly experience a non-functionin EA station which will wipe out any savings you achieve in charging time.

As for FUD, this reminds me of time on the website bash.org someone asked the question “What the f*ck does WTF stand for”. 🙂

Yeah, I’m not getting this either. A gap of 171 miles (Hilton Head to Columbia) certainly can’t be call a “desert” — not by Western standards. And, when I plug this trip onto ABRP I see it’s only 20 minutes longer than driving a Mach-E. If you make this drive several times a year you’ll almost certainly experience a non-functionin EA station which will wipe out any savings you achieve in charging time.

As for FUD, this reminds me of time on the website bash.org someone asked the question “What the f*ck does WTF stand for”. 🙂
I feel like your presence since 2015 is probably biasing you there, and I don't blame you. Things have certainly never been as good and convenient as they are now. Its not horrible by any means, but it stands out, especially for us new owners who really only joined after things have become very convenient in most places.

I also wonder if you've been to the area? I26 between Charleston and Asheville links two of the most common tourist destination in the region. Its VERY unusual to see an interstate like that require a 20 minute detour. I'd also add that the Farrow Rd charger in Columbia really links much of the lowcountry to I77 and Charlotte as well, so it ends up covering people on I20, I26, and I77. Its a relatively small station tucked into the back of a hotel parking lot and queues have been becoming more frequent.

Again, not the end of the world, but I think we'll all be happy when the situation improves. Given the roadmap, I'm pretty confident that it will.

Reactions: J569 and mikes_fsd
I feel like your presence since 2015 is probably biasing you there, and I don't blame you.
I’ll accept that. I used to use this cable to plug directly into the circuit breaker panel of friends, family, and even the occasional motel. I count these as the “good old days”. 🙂
AF2CBB1B-5379-42EB-8D84-1EDBEF8A3523.jpeg
I also wonder if you've been to the area?
Love the area! We have family in Marietta and in Pooler that we visit regularly, and we always make a point to spend a few days in Charleston — big fans of Firefly Distillery and loved Martha Lou’s Kitchen — and then we head back to Jackson Hole via Asheville. Made that drive many times.639119C7-31F1-4BFB-AD00-B99D4DCF2943.jpeg

Reactions: 365gtb4 and jsight
The local Ford dealer called yesterday to let me know that they couldn't reach the person who pre-ordered a Mach E on their lot, so they would sell it. If I wanted it, it was mine with no wait. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with the pick, so I drove to the Savannah sales center and test drove the Y.

I really liked the Y, but I ended up preferring the interior of the Mach E. I wish Ford had utilized the space a bit better on the car because the Y definitely has more/better cargo space, but we ended up deciding that the Mach E had enough space for our needs.

Considering the Supercharger situation that started this thread, I decided to go ahead and get the Mach E. When my Bolt lease is up in another year and a half, though, I suspect I will end up with a 3. I love the exterior looks of the 3, whereas I could live with the looks of the Y. The biggest issue with the 3 was always cargo capacity, so the Mach E will solve that problem.

In another year and a half, hopefully there will be a Supercharger on I-26 as well.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

If anyone cares, here's what I preferred about each car:

Mach E
-Price
-Interior styling
-Seat comfort
-Exterior styling (but not by much...both are kind of ugly)
-Charging network for my needs
-Range seems slightly better in most real world tests, but the range on both is more than adequate so this wasn't a big factor

Y
-Acceleration
-Handling (but not by much)
-Space
-Experience from manufacturer in making EVs
-Smoothness/sophistication of screen interface

I’ll accept that. I used to use this cable to plug directly into the circuit breaker panel of friends, family, and even the occasional motel. I count these as the “good old days”. 🙂
View attachment 666844
That's pretty impressive, tbh. I'm surprised that hotels have been willing to allow that.

Love the area! We have family in Marietta and in Pooler that we visit regularly, and we always make a point to spend a few days in Charleston — big fans of Firefly Distillery and loved Martha Lou’s Kitchen — and then we head back to Jackson Hole via Asheville. Made that drive many times.View attachment 666852
Nice, it's a really nice area. Too bad that Martha Lou's closed down, it was pretty iconic.

I haven't read all the replies to this thread and am
I've had a deposit for a LR RWD Model Y for a while now. At the time I made the reservation, I was sure that Tesla would finally build a Supercharger on I-26 to plug a huge gap in the network. Having seen lots of Supercharger sites go up during this time and no news at all about I-26, I'm starting to think that perhaps doesn't even know there's an issue.

I live in Hilton Head and I routinely travel to Hendersonville, NC. If I plug the route in A Better Route Planner looking at a Tesla vs the competition, I'm losing at least 30-45 minutes if I use a Tesla. The Superchargers are all inconvenient to travel on I-26 and you end up backtracking significantly. In contrast, there is a beautiful CCS plug DC Fast Charger in Irmo, SC that would be perfect to use in any other EV.

At this point, I've basically decided to abandon my Tesla reservation and get a Mach E.

Am I crazy or just reaching a logical conclusion based on what I'm seeing?

I've driven many trips back and forth and round-about between Colorado and New York. There aren't always Superchargers or even reliable level 2 chargers everywhere you're going to go at the exact place you need it. If that's a requirement, I recommend not getting an EV at all. It's not going to be like driving a gasoline car, regardless of the brand of EV or how it charges.

But a little planning and open mindedness will compensate for the gaps.

Reactions: PStewart and N4HHE