Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glad my 3 day old MY got a flat - loose lug nuts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
Took off the tire today. Lug nuts were around 70 ft-lbs, a far cry from the 129 ft-lb spec. I literally could remove them with one finger on my torque wrench. I'll check my other three wheels when I get back from the tire repair shop.

I recommend checking yours.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy7 and Matsayz
What made you check the lug nut torque? Where you experiencing some sort of wobble or wheel balance issue. You're fortunate you caught it before the wheel fell off. Not only are there QC issues but safety issues as well in the Fremont Tent. I would suspect that one of the checks at the Tesla Delivery location would be or should be to check lug nut torque.

Taking off the tire to get it repaired, I noticed how easily they came off.

More scientificly, I just ramped up my torque wrench in 10 lb increments to see where the other lugnuts started turning when tightening them. The other rear wheel took 90 ft--lbs and both fronts took 70 ft-lbs. Naturally, it takes less torque to notice them loosening, but now I think it was closer to 70 vs 20.

Most alloy wheel manufacturers recommend checking the lugnut torque after a few hundred miles. At least with the Gemeni wheels, that seems like a good idea.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy7
What made you check the lug nut torque? Where you experiencing some sort of wobble or wheel balance issue. You're fortunate you caught it before the wheel fell off. Not only are there QC issues but safety issues as well in the Fremont Tent. I would suspect that one of the checks at the Tesla Delivery location would be or should be to check lug nut torque.

Post Title says he had a flat.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mitchoacan
... and the tire shop damaged my wheel :(

Hopefully their wheel repair shop will have it looking good as new tomorrow.

This ALWAYS happens. I've had three brand new rims, just totally screwed up by tire shops. They have one function, to change tires. How come they always manage to mess up the rims?

I'm sorry to hear that, it's frustrating.

YIKES! I just checked mine the other day, all 20 were at 20lb/ft. My SC didn't seem to be too concerned.

I think this should be escalated up the food chain. How is that done???
With those extra 16 wheels in use it's probably not an issue. 20 lb/ft (wheel weight per diameter since lb/ft is not a unit of torque) sound a bit high for alloy wheels. Carrying so many extra wheels that are that heavy gets you close to the load limit. You might want to do something about that. /s

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
Can't edit: TYPO: all 20 lug nuts were at 70lb/ft, not the recommended 129 lb/ft.

hacer: Don't know what you mean by "it's not a unit of torque"...

The “pound-foot” (lb-ft) is a unit of torque and a vector measurement that is created by one pound of force acting on a one foot lever. ... The “foot-pound” (or more accurately, “foot-pound-force”), on the other hand, is a measurement of work. Work is the measurement of force over a given distance.

This ALWAYS happens. I've had three brand new rims, just totally screwed up by tire shops. They have one function, to change tires. How come they always manage to mess up the rims?

I'm sorry to hear that, it's frustrating.
We have our own tire machines at my business and I always change my tires myself because most employees at tire shops don’t actually use their machines correctly and typically don’t hold the opposite side of the bead in the drop center when mounting. They can often get away with incorrect operation on higher profile tires but the risk of damage to wheels or even hidden damage internally to the tire get much greater the lower the tire profile. There is a simple process to using a tire machine correctly unless it is a fully automatic touch-less runflat machine and most large tire shops don’t have them unless the tire shop is a high end shop or a large BMW/Mercedes or similar dealer. I even go above what is needed and run a strip of blue tape around the outer edge of the wheel before mounting and dismounting as an added bit of protection against possible scuff marks from dirt or sand residue. I am a true fanatic.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
I had Tesla replace a tire with multiple nails in it. Got it back with a grove halfway around the wheel. Its not just tire shops, even Tesla screws up with the machines. I think its either a lack of knowledge or lack of effort/care. They did fix it by the way. I recently swapped my winter wheels on myself, should go back and check the torque again since its been a couple of weeks.

Can't edit: TYPO: all 20 lug nuts were at 70lb/ft, not the recommended 129 lb/ft.

hacer: Don't know what you mean by "it's not a unit of torque"...

The “pound-foot” (lb-ft) is a unit of torque and a vector measurement that is created by one pound of force acting on a one foot lever. ... The “foot-pound” (or more accurately, “foot-pound-force”), on the other hand, is a measurement of work. Work is the measurement of force over a given distance.
"lb/ft" (what you wrote) is pounds divided by feet! lbs-ft (or ft-lbs) is pounds times feet (this actually being a unit of torque) - the two are not the same thing. The convention for measurement units is to use a dash ("-") separation for multiplication (because it's not possible to add or subtract different units so no need for subtraction) and a slash ("/") for division. Pressure for example can be measured in lbs/in^2 which is pounds per square inch. My trailing "/s" was meant to convey humor poking fun at your string of typos.

Reactions: helvio
Hacer: "My trailing "/s" was meant to convey humor poking fun at your string of typos."

Thanks. You made your point, although the only typo was the "2" instead of a "7". Our cars indeed have 20 lug nuts.

Public service announcement: Check your wheel lug nuts for proper torque.