Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole thing is is upsetting, I need to stop reading this thread. I really just want an answer about the IR properties of the rear piece with no orange. I'd prefer consistency in my roof, however I do not know if I would ask to have it changed if it had good IR protection. it seems like asking for trouble.

Just dropped off my car at Burbank SC for paint issues. I mentioned IR coating on the roof but none of them service rep had any ideas what i was talking about. They asked me to email them some pix and they will help look into this matter. Told them i have small child in the back seat everyday, having the same UV and IR protection for her is paramount.

How much UV/IR protection is provided in a convertible with the top down?

How much UV/IR protection is provided as I'm walking down the street towards my Model 3 in bright sunshine?

All of those poor people on the beach laying out in the sun.....and those poor kids playing in the water.

And all of those poor clear window ICE cars with no Red/Orange glow on their windows and sunroofs.

What is the world coming to?

For those that don't know.....I'm being sarcastic...lol

16 pages as far as I can tell no one has been able to actually measure the difference, if any, in IR transmission? Shouldn't this be easy to measure with an IR thermometer or thermal imaging camera. I'm still waiting for my AWD 3 which will likely have the newer glass configuration. I have friend that has pretty early build so I can make a comparison some day but I would think with all this angst there are two cars close to each and someone with the right tool to measure now.

Reactions: kelly
16 pages as far as I can tell no one has been able to actually measure the difference, if any, in IR transmission? Shouldn't this be easy to measure with an IR thermometer or thermal imaging camera. I'm still waiting for my AWD 3 which will likely have the newer glass configuration. I have friend that has pretty early build so I can make a comparison some day but I would think with all this angst there are two cars close to each and someone with the right tool to measure now.

I said this earlier. Someone in the Bay Area in Fremont reach out or drive to Premier Mobile Group. They have the tools the measure this and probably have tinted more Tesla’s than any other high end shop.

If I lived closer I would drive there myself. Heck I might give them a call or email if no one on this thread lives in the Bay. There has got to be two model 3 owners one with the red coating and one without in the area.

Who really cares to the point where they won't take delivery?

Who won't take delivery based on the color of the glass?

Yep, can confirm.
I took delivery of my 8/2018 production Model 3 a few days ago, and the only part that shows the orange water tint is the front roof glass panel (the 2nd rear glass panel doesn't have any orange water tint).