Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whachaganadoabaudit?

Jus wonderin.

Why do you constantly have to flame people on this thread? It’s quite annoying.

Some of us just want to know why the change was implemented. If it was or not a mistake in production. If it is we bring it to their attention and get it fixed. It’s possible a supplier did no product a batch correctly. If was done on purpose most if not all us will live with it.

Why would someone need to cancel their order for this to be a relevant question? Considering how long this thread in seems like plenty of people are interested in an answer.

Mine has a portion of the rear glass that doesn't bead red. Those with full red beading: is the glass also tinted all the way to the bottom? That seems almost too dark when looking through the tinted parts but I'd still prefer it.

And you’re buying a Tesla, not a Bolt, so don’t pretend that vanity isn’t part of this equation.

If you are attracted to aesthetically appealing things then you're automatically vain? That's a new one to me and not a correlation I see.

Reactions: hmerrill3
Mine has a portion of the rear glass that doesn't bead red. Those with full red beading: is the glass also tinted all the way to the bottom? That seems almost too dark when looking through the tinted parts but I'd still prefer it.

No. The bottom half of the rear windshield is still not tinted even if you had full red mist coloring on the whole back windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and Canuck
If you are attracted to aesthetically appealing things then you're automatically vain? That's a new one to me and not a correlation I see.

That’s not what was said, in fact quite the opposite. I said it’s a lie to deny it.

I’m not trying to derail the thread, merely saying that there’s nothing wrong with liking a visual aspect of the car, and some here are getting a bit judgemental that if the heat/IR isn’t affected that you shouldn’t mind/care that a change was made. I think it’s an equal part of the discussion.

VIN 402xx build date 6/18, top center over front seats is red, top half (factory tinted section) of back glass is red, the untinted (or at least, visibly clear) section of back glass is not red.

I'd rather this than only the top center glass red, but I'd rather it be all red ...

Reactions: ebmcs03
July build here and only the front gives that orange wet look. Kinda stinks if the rear doesn’t have the same protection as my kid sits back there everyday.

Yea, my mom is sensitive to sun and I've got the kid concern as well... I don't have twitter or i'd tweet him. Someone please take one for the team. :)

Turn the air conditioner on. IR problem solved. Are people here confusing IR and UV? Because those are two pretty different things, and UV protection in vehicles is usually (every case I know of) does in the plastic film layers inside the glass. IR filtering is done either in one of the plastic layers, or as a coating that is sputtered onto the glass when it's manufactured. The IR coat prevents heat, the UV coat prevents sun burns. They're completely different things.

Why do you constantly have to flame people on this thread? It’s quite annoying.

Some of us just want to know why the change was implemented. If it was or not a mistake in production. If it is we bring it to their attention and get it fixed. It’s possible a supplier did no product a batch correctly. If was done on purpose most if not all us will live with it.

Why would someone need to cancel their order for this to be a relevant question? Considering how long this thread in seems like plenty of people are interested in an answer.
OH stop it.

Every possible answer has already been mentioned.....including the correct one. You can't name another possible answer that hasn't been mentioned. I spoke directly to Tesla and the Service Center and provided temp measurements and.....
The answer to the post above this one was answered pages and pages ago. People aren't even reading the whole thing anymore.

So....its not answers that people are looking for.

I've been a part a many many threads like this and I assure you that "fault" is what people are looking for and the thread is only half over. Even you are suggesting in your response that something needs to be fixed. If you believe something needs to be fixed...then take it to your service center like I DID. This forum thread isn't going to fix your window color. So....I'm encouraging EVERYONE to go to their service center. If that's a problem for you.....then my apologies.
Its a little early in the thread for personal insults … so that surprises me...but they don't phase me anymore.

Soo......lets continue to have fun here.

And welcome to TMC .

Last edited:
The IR coat prevents heat, the UV coat prevents sun burns. They're completely different things.

Thanks for that clarification. Just to complete where those apply, is this correct?: The red beading is IR, the dark tint is UV, and where there is nothing on the glass -- mine has no red beading or tint at the bottom of the rear window -- that has no IR or UV, correct? And current production vehicles only have IR and UV on the middle roof, and not the rear window at all?

Thanks for that clarification. Just to complete where those apply, is this correct?: The red beading is IR, the dark tint is UV, and where there is nothing on the glass -- mine has no red beading or tint at the bottom of the rear window -- that has no IR or UV, correct? And current production vehicles only have IR and UV on the middle roof, and not the rear window at all?
No one know. The clear part may have UV still.

Test IR using your tv remote haha

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
From what I’ve gathered reading this thread and others:
  1. UV protection is built in between the layers of the glass, and is not related to the red beading or tint. All of the windows have it.
  2. The red beading is probably related to an IR reflective coating (although not necessarily confirmed, there has been conflicting information).
  3. All top windows have the red coating and appear to affect IR passing through them (tested using IR lights on a remote control).
  4. Rear back windows have either the full coating, a partial coating (stops part of the way down), or no coating. Regardless of this coating, they all appear to affect IR passing through them (again, tested using a remote control). The exact degree that the IR is affected is currently unknown.
Conjecture starting here:
My guess is that Tesla has started putting an IR reflection layer between the glass layers just like UV, and are phasing out the IR coating. It’s possible they are tweaking that layer to provide adequate protection, which could explain the partial coatings on some back windows. The angle of the window probably plays a big part in how much IR gets through, which is why the top window still contains coating (or, conversely, they have a large stockpile to use up).

I don’t believe in any way that this was a mistake on Tesla’s part (as in, the coating was unintentionally skipped). I also don’t believe they would get rid of IR protection completely - with the giant glass roof that would be a huge problem.

No. read the thread. No one knows. It’s all speculation.

Man people are grouchy. I miss the old days when people here were helpful and didn't jump all over someone for not reading all 19 pages of a thread.

Plus, even if I read all 19 pages, studying each post to determine "it's all speculation" as you say, what's wrong with asking the question I did? Just because people speculated before doesn't mean the question I asked is out of place. Someone like @tomc603 could come along and answer it.

• Funny
Reactions: ebmcs03
My VIN (59xxx) is Aug build and does not have the redish looking coating on the rear glass. Talked to service and they ordered a new one. Will replace in a week.
You’re brave. I would hold off on replacing till we figure this out.

Plus in the 19 pages. Some have reported that the new re ordered glass doesn’t have the red tint either. So dont risk it yet.

Reactions: Garlan Garner