Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glimpse of M3 Assemble Line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's exactly what I thought when they tweeted out the 1500 number.
Garlan Garner, unsolicited feedback & request: sorry to say your pattern of hijacking most threads to be about your expectations and opinions on the ramp up and Tesla’s communication thereof is tedious to me, and I ask you to consider how your venting in many thread detracts from my and possibly other forum members’ experience. I don’t want to shun the dialogue, as I find it constructive that people share their views on plans vs reality, transparency vs predictability, and hopes vs expectations. I just ask you to choose the right thread: Do you mind creating a thread called “ramp-up: expectations and communications” where people choose to go chat about that?

Again it is nothing personal and I believe that topic is important to you. I may chime in there when I want to contribute to that, but here I was hoping to see more about the assembly line, proportionately. Thanks for your consideration.

Garlan Garner, unsolicited feedback & request: sorry to say your pattern of hijacking most threads to be about your expectations and opinions on the ramp up and Tesla’s communication thereof is tedious to me, and I ask you to consider how your venting in many thread detracts from my and possibly other forum members’ experience. I don’t want to shun the dialogue, as I find it constructive that people share their views on plans vs reality, transparency vs predictability, and hopes vs expectations. I just ask you to choose the right thread: Do you mind creating a thread called “ramp-up: expectations and communications” where people choose to go chat about that?

Again it is nothing personal and I believe that topic is important to you. I may chime in there when I want to contribute to that, but here I was hoping to see more about the assembly line, proportionately. Thanks for your consideration.
I want to see more about the assembly line also. I'm not stopping anyone from posting about the assembly line, however as you know.....there is nothing to post about the assembly line.

To Everyone.

Is there anyone out there not posting about the assembly line?

• Funny
Reactions: EchoDelta
I don’t expect it will happen but I sure wish Tesla would do a video like this once the model 3 line is up and running.

For those with more experience in automotive industry, how closely does the video above portray a viable 5000/wk throughput? Does the level and type of manual / automated work match what you’d expect from a Tesla pre-juggernaut factory?

(I understand many slow & high latency steps, in series or parallel, can still have a high throughput, but that means even bigger factories, more lines, machines and/or people etc)

I thought it was pretty exciting that Elon was willing to show this. If final = 10x ish, does that imply we were witnessing an equivalent of 5000/10=500/wk “speed” for that particular step& line?

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and DR61
Given the Audi person and presumably there are other experienced assembly folks from Detroit, etc at Tesla one has to wonder about the management style for the factory. Likely its just EMT hitting the real world. Hopefully its just 1 or 2 things impacting delivery and things will be up to speed soon. I'm still feeling the token customer deliveries in December is still on the cards. Not sure what this means for the Model-Y arrival, especially if it could be more popular than the M3.

What in the world are you guys talking about.

Weathermen are wrong all of the time. Its amazing they still have jobs.

No... car making is an exact science......or at least it is for other vendors. When they say that you can go buy a car on a commercial....gues what? you can. Tesla is in full control of car making and the information they give out concerning making cars.

Whethermen aren't in control of the weather. You guys know the ludicrousness of that argument? I didn't start talking about weather....someone else tried to use that weird analogy to make their point.
So you want Tesla to adopt the dealership model? That way the Tesla dealer can hold an inventory of cars and can advertise when they have them in stock.

So you want Tesla to adopt the dealership model? That way the Tesla dealer can hold an inventory of cars and can advertise when they have them in stock.
Stop making promises / hints / statements / projections / etc. that you can't deliver on.

That's what I want Tesla to do.

It makes them look bad. It would make anyone look bad. It speaks to credibility.

Fortunately for Tesla they obviously do not need credibility to get people attracted to them or to achieve a high level of success.
Things such as credibility, honesty, respect, sincerity, honor, and unadulterated truth are on a fast track to be elements of the past. I just hope and pray that Teslas efforts to acheive their goals don't contribute to them abandoning these character traits whether earned or freely handed to them.

Last edited:
I don’t expect it will happen but I sure wish Tesla would do a video like this once the model 3 line is up and running.

For those with more experience in automotive industry, how closely does the video above portray a viable 5000/wk throughput? Does the level and type of manual / automated work match what you’d expect from a Tesla pre-juggernaut factory?

(I understand many slow & high latency steps, in series or parallel, can still have a high throughput, but that means even bigger factories, more lines, machines and/or people etc)

I thought it was pretty exciting that Elon was willing to show this. If final = 10x ish, does that imply we were witnessing an equivalent of 5000/10=500/wk “speed” for that particular step& line?
Brilliant, but also slow. Thank you!
Robin

Things such as credibility, honesty, respect, sincerity, honor, and unadulterated truth are on a fast track to be elements of the past.

Also to your previous statement “car making is an exact science”

I don’t know what’s your experience doing things that are novel/different/infrequent enough that despite the best minds planning, the estimates of what happens are just estimates, and your projections, models etc are tools for making ongoing trade-offs, not a story of the future.

Only kiddie project managers think their gantt bars line up nicely and portray a promiseable outcome on a final date. And only clueless customers take those project plans as a promise of delivery. You know, like time, scope, quality, and all that didn’t exist. Unless it’s predictable enough like making paper clips.

If you think truth and honesty are important, you wouldn’t be asking for a concrete “100% confidence” date, because you know that complex factors in supply chains, people, environment, tools, etc will change your plans every day. You’d be asking for a 95% confidence date, or a 80% confidence date or something like that, and understand why parallelizing software, cutting features, etc are all part of meeting the larger promise.

I think what irks you is the opacity, not the existence of the risks. what you ask for - a fixed date for “something” - as much as you feel entitled to it because of “principle”, or because of car lease timings, or fear the stock tanks etc etc- doesn’t really make rational sense. But I can respect it and see why others would think that way too.

I’d like to know too but I know why it’s hard to guess it right, and I’ve gotten used to the low confidence associated with the estimates typically shared by Tesla.

Out of curiosity, for forum members, how often and when was the last time a new company went from making 1k to 100k vehicles/year to 500k? I know they hire from each other and buy same robots etc so it’s not all improvisation. But Just wondering from historical perspective how infrequent this is

Reactions: Runt8
That's about one panel per every two seconds, or roughly 43,200 panels per day, plus have to factor in break time for robots...

Their existing Schuler SMG hydraulic stamping press was reported 5000 per day. This speed is really exponentially high in comparison. So at least the stamping seems to be ready for volume production rates. The welding one he showed at 1/10th speed seems to be the bottleneck at this point? Or at least one of the bottlenecks..

• Love
Reactions: larmor
Also to your previous statement “car making is an exact science”

I don’t know what’s your experience doing things that are novel/different/infrequent enough that despite the best minds planning, the estimates of what happens are just estimates, and your projections, models etc are tools for making ongoing trade-offs, not a story of the future.

Only kiddie project managers think their gantt bars line up nicely and portray a promiseable outcome on a final date. And only clueless customers take those project plans as a promise of delivery. You know, like time, scope, quality, and all that didn’t exist. Unless it’s predictable enough like making paper clips.

If you think truth and honesty are important, you wouldn’t be asking for a concrete “100% confidence” date, because you know that complex factors in supply chains, people, environment, tools, etc will change your plans every day. You’d be asking for a 95% confidence date, or a 80% confidence date or something like that, and understand why parallelizing software, cutting features, etc are all part of meeting the larger promise.

I think what irks you is the opacity, not the existence of the risks. what you ask for - a fixed date for “something” - as much as you feel entitled to it because of “principle”, or because of car lease timings, or fear the stock tanks etc etc- doesn’t really make rational sense. But I can respect it and see why others would think that way too.

I’d like to know too but I know why it’s hard to guess it right, and I’ve gotten used to the low confidence associated with the estimates typically shared by Tesla.

Out of curiosity, for forum members, how often and when was the last time a new company went from making 1k to 100k vehicles/year to 500k? I know they hire from each other and buy same robots etc so it’s not all improvisation. But Just wondering from historical perspective how infrequent this is
Are you saying that Tesla has to miss marrks because they are new? They are missing timing promises because they haven't done this before? etc. Is that what you are saying?

I don't buy that at all.

They have enough money and such to get anything they want done. They surpassed just about all car makers financially. Tesla isn't a mom and pop company. They have enough money to pay and ask their project managers how to not miss marks. For goodness sake....many of their PM's and engineers came from AUDI and such. It doesn't matter how many cars they do or don't make.

All Tesla has to do is say nothing.

Say nothing until they know its true. No one is forcing them to make these promises and predictions.

For Example:

Elon was on TED. He offered dates and times where full auto pilot will work. He wasn't prompted or anything and said that going from FSD will work from a parking lot in California to a parking lot in New York with no controls touched at all in November. That's next month. He went on to elaborate without being prompted about details and the ability to change the route mid trip and such. Elon just say "I don't know unless you know" At least have FSD working before you say when you will demo it to the public.

elon promises full self driving interview - Bing video

Other manufacturers such as Volvo, Chevy, etc. are listing and selling "lane assist" once its already working.
Other manufactures only put things out on commercial that are already implemented and working.

Tesla has more value in its company than any of them. Tesla rarely announces something that they have already perfected. Except the one time when Elon said.....about the model 3....... I am blown away by how it looks like a rocket ship - or something like that. He didn't offer any details and didn't predict anything falsely.

I don't want to hear about a multi billion dollar company having to be coddled after they miss marks.

Let me ask a question about this assembly line. Do you think Tesla will change how they are releasing information and making promises AFTER the model 3 is in full swing? People keep saying....for some reason......oh no...leave them alone, they only make a few cars at a very low rate - which I don't understand what that has to do with making predictions about things such as FSD and missing tons of timing marks and dates.

That is a great video that Elon musk posted about Model 3 body panels getting made. I'm not being sarcastic. He didn't predict how many will be made or promise "x" number of body to be made by a certain time or production ramp date. . He just posted a video showing them being made in real time AFTER THE FACT. I don't believe anyone on the planet disagrees with this type of thing.

Instagram post by Elon Musk • Oct 12, 2017 at 4:32am UTC

They are doing the same thing with the Model S and X so I'm not sure what the amazement is, but I'll leave that alone. Maybe the S and X's presses are going a lot slower? I don't know.
But none the less its a video of what is already happening and cant be measured by some superficial prediction that was supposed to be happening last February.