Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never knew I plan every second of my travel. Thanks for knowing more about me than I do myself !

People who are driving Volt but rarely use the CS mode have just bought into GM's range anxiety marketing mantra.

Well I'm glad you know more about the chevy volt and their buyers than the buyers themselves!

I've read far more stories of leaf owners being stranded because they didn't plan their day than I would have liked honestly. If you don't have to plan your day around a 60-80 mile range then you don't need an ev you need a bike :biggrin: or if your using a gas burning car as your second car which effectively gives you a volt and that proves what GM is saying. If you are doing neither, then you probably have access to charging stations, too bad the rest of the country doesn't have it.

Last edited:
If a 40 mile AER works for them, 100 mile AER would work as well.

Oh yes, I've been following Volt developments (and their fan comments) daily for over 3 years.

If 40 miles works for their commute but they drive more than 60 miles on their weekend then a LEAF won't work for them! Drive 50 miles in a leaf, but you forget to factor in elevation change, guess who's stranded!

Can you point out one Leaf that's been driven from san deigo to san fran? San Fran to Seattle? What's the difference between ev drivers that still have an ice second car or a person that drives a volt mostly in ev mode with a few trips of gas powered operation? There is none! and most ev drivers have ice cars! People will still make the trips, so ev owners will still burn gas, so it's a game of semantics.

Many can claim and feel proud to drive an ev, but they still have their dirty ice, but instead of being hidden under the hood, it's hidden in the garage. Until more evs like the Model S with large ranges are available, the volt will serve the purpose of vastly reducing gasoline use and get people used to driving on electricity without having to sacrifice or change their daily habits too much.

Last edited:
If 40 miles works for their commute but they drive more than 60 miles on their weekend then a LEAF won't work for them! Drive 50 miles in a leaf, but you forget to factor in elevation change, guess who's stranded!

Can you point out one Leaf that's been driven from san deigo to san fran? San Fran to Seattle? What's the difference between ev drivers that still have an ice second car or a person that drives a volt mostly in ev mode with a few trips of gas powered operation? There is none! and most ev drivers have ice cars! People will still make the trips, so ev owners will still burn gas, so it's a game of semantics.

Many can claim and feel proud to drive an ev, but they still have their dirty ice, but instead of being hidden under the hood, it's hidden in the garage. Until more evs like the Model S with large ranges are available, the volt will serve the purpose of vastly reducing gasoline use and get people used to driving on electricity without having to sacrifice or change their daily habits too much.

Very well stated! My feelings exactly.

I never knew I plan every second of my travel. Thanks for knowing more about me than I do myself !

I think he was referring to TEG since he said he plans things out -- regardless, it's a fair point.

Very well stated. I fear there's a "snobbery" growing in the ranks, which may do more to kill the EV vibe than any big corporations.

That seems construing a false alternative. Those who have two cars, currently an ICE plus an EV, could have a Volt plus an EV (when they buy a new car), and that would of course be a better support for the EV future than two Volts, or an ICE plus a Volt.

So it's Volt vs ICE, not Volt vs EV.

I fear there's a "snobbery" growing in the ranks, which may do more to kill the EV vibe than any big corporations.

I don't think anyone is seeing something wrong with someone buying a Volt to be able to go on long weekend trips, or so.

However PHEVs aren't necessarily always entitled to the same perks as pure EVs, and that's the point which was discussed. And I wouldn't accept if anyone calls that "snobbery", it is just reflecting the fact that pure EVs have a higher value for our future.

However, I'd think that Volts should have access to public chargers, even though in places with multiple chargers, there might be some spots (perhaps with high rate chargers) reserved for pure EVs.

Seen today at the side of a Youtube page:
voltad1.jpg

Is that a benefit?

Can they still say that with Fisker Karma on the market?

Doesn't Prius qualify since it can move on only electric motor sometimes?

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious. It arrives at the same subjects like "Transport evolved". What car can be called EV, PEV, PHEV, and how long can it be allowed to occupy a charge spot when charging, conditioning, or just parking. Uh oh.
My impression of US engineering is, if the solution seems weak, just blow it up. Like V8 with 400cu in. Like 70 Amps from the HP. Like providing 110V one phase, but 200 to 400 Amps to every household. My dear, you can cover all roofs of Rome with that excessive amount of copper. Why not use 400V and one additional wire to deliver 12 times that power?
So my guess is, charge spots will not be a resource to be fighting over with other car owners, not even at Nissan dealerships. EVs will charge at home and run around cities, until fast chargeable, high capacity battery packs are common. Only then L3 charging will be an issue, but not the L1/L2 charge spot at wal mart.

i believe the addition should be made "While Charging" A volt should not be able to occupy a slot for charging all day if they only need 15 minutes to top off thier battery. The intent of the law was to make spaces available for charging, not priority parking for anyone who is able to plug in! Exceptions should be made where long term parking is expected as airports.
Please stay on topic. The EV parking discussion went here. EV parking priority

i havent read any of the posted but the volt is simply a very expensive plug in hybrid, that can maybe be compared to a prius but not a leaf, which actually is an ev. the only reason that the volt is so suckish is because the oil companies are slowing down everyones ev technologies from advancing(the same goes for the leaf as well). i guess small companies like tesla arent affected too much from the oil companies because they were made only to make ev's and maybe the big oil companies dont see them as much of a threat. the reaso that both the volt and leaf look very odd are also to make them look different to the people so they dont buy them
My thoughts can be verified with the simple fact that chevy actually had a more advanced ev in the 90's that were scrapped for no apparent reason(oil companies again).