Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM's vision of Autopilot from 1956

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video has been on youtube for a while. There is so much great stuff, it is hard to know where to start. GM still has the Firebird I/II/III concept cars. Jay Leno has been allowed to test drive them - also with videos on youtube.

One can imagine that whoever came up with GMs OnStar system had to have been inspired by the film. Also Buick made a lot of "turbine" wheels and caps over the years that look like they came off the Firebird concept cars. Over at Chrysler, it seems like Virgil Exner was taken with a lot of the exterior design elements of the cars as well. (Look at the side views of the horribly styled '61 Valiant and Lancer...)

Is that what it is? I was like how cute mom is sitting in the back with the daughter! Hahaha dang...
Three steps behind! All that complicated, technical communication with the singing control tower guy, no way her fuzzy, emotional female brain could handle that sort of task to keep them all safe. :p

-- -- --

What I want to know is when the Pontiac Firebird first rolled out in 1967 were older people that had seen this video confused as to why it didn't have jet turbine engines? ;)

P.S. Yes, that was actually before even my time.