Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two requirements I have are it needs to be universal and at least 48A. The Gen 3s should works since my understanding is that there is a way to program it to function with J1772. The residential SemaConnect has 48A output but looks like the others are currently limited to 30A.

I really hope public ~30A L2 goes away. The cost bump to 48A is ~10% for 50% faster charging. When I plug-in and get < 7kW (208v)(32A) I almost feel more insulted than grateful.

I'm not yet convinced that billing is really that necessary. If you think of all the other 'free' amenities we take for granted free charging isn't really that expensive especially if the service is connected to a solar array so the electric costs are closer to wholesale than retail. Exported energy here is only worth ~$0.02/kWh so charging an EV with surplus energy is <$0.30/hr. IMHO the biggest benefit to billing is to ensure charging is available to those that ACTUALLY need it and not just someone looking to pickup a few free kWhs. My prediction is that in most cases the revenue from charging stations after taxes would be so low that it's not going to be worth the effort.

But it's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. I noticed that Las Cruces is pulling all their free HPWCs and Clippers and replacing them with Chargepoints that bill $0.13/kWh. Which I would be 100% ok with if they weren't 30A EVSEs.....
We were definitely disappointed to discover that Las Cruces swapped out to slower 6kw chargers. I don’t care that they charge for them, but it used to be nice stop there and get a decent bump while dining nearby or checking out the farmers market. 6kw isn’t worth stopping for.

Two requirements I have are it needs to be universal and at least 48A. The Gen 3s should works since my understanding is that there is a way to program it to function with J1772. The residential SemaConnect has 48A output but looks like the others are currently limited to 30A.
It looks like Tesla is now selling a J1772 version.

Unfortunate that they are Gen 2s and limited to 40A but nice that they finally made those purchasable.

I was close to buying one but I read they're not share compatible with the standard G2 HPWC. Hopefully they release the G3 with a J1772. Sharing with the G3 is far better than the G2. With the G2 you can only share a circuit. So you can have 2 or 3 HPWC sharing 100A for example. But with the G3 you can share a panel. I have a 64A clipper on a 200A panel leaving 96A of continuous spare ampacity. With a pair of G2s you'd get up to 80A or 40A if shared. OR I can install 3 G3s and you can get 48A or 32A if all 3 are in use.

I have a pair of 64As and a 48A clipper creek arriving today. I've really become partial to clipper creek for public EVSEs. They seem virtually indestructible.

Last edited:
I really hope public ~30A L2 goes away. The cost bump to 48A is ~10% for 50% faster charging. When I plug-in and get < 7kW (208v)(32A) I almost feel more insulted than grateful.
Strongly disagree. A bunch of EVs, including the SR+ are limited to 30A or 32A charging so 48A is wasted on them.
3 x 32A is better than 2 x 48A.
What you really want to get rid of is solo EVSEs and chargers.

Strongly disagree. A bunch of EVs, including the SR+ are limited to 30A or 32A charging so 48A is wasted on them.
3 x 32A is better than 2 x 48A.
What you really want to get rid of is solo EVSEs and chargers.

It's not much of a waste. Cost difference is ~$100. If you're gonna spend $1,000 to install a 30A EVSE make it $1,100 and 48A.

Why not 3 sharing 96A but with 48A EVSEs? If 2 cars are charging they get 48A. If 3 then it's 32A.

Last edited:
Clippers are here! I have a 80A Tesla HPWC that was donated and one of these 64As going to Carlsbad. Then adding the other 64A and 48A to Roswell.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 3.21.47 PM.png

I was close to buying one but I read they're not share compatible with the standard G2 HPWC. Hopefully they release the G3 with a J1772. Sharing with the G3 is far better than the G2. With the G2 you can only share a circuit. So you can have 2 or 3 HPWC sharing 100A for example. But with the G3 you can share a panel. I have a 64A clipper on a 200A panel leaving 96A of continuous spare ampacity. With a pair of G2s you'd get up to 80A or 40A if shared. OR I can install 3 G3s and you can get 48A or 32A if all 3 are in use.

I have a pair of 64As and a 48A clipper creek arriving today. I've really become partial to clipper creek for public EVSEs. They seem virtually indestructible.

I agree, they have excellent reliability ... but I'm not a fan of the plastic electric disconnect latch. That is the #1 damage I read about from careless use in public places, and when it is broken the EVSE loses an important safety feature. My new Grizzl-E has a metal latch.

I agree, they have excellent reliability ... but I'm not a fan of the plastic electric disconnect latch. That is the #1 damage I read about from careless use in public places, and when it is broken the EVSE loses an important safety feature. My new Grizzl-E has a metal latch.

I did upgrade to the 'ruggedized' version. The latch is plastic but it appears to be a very robust plastic similar to what the Tesla-J1772 adapter is moulded from. Looks like it would be very difficult to damage.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 4.23.36 PM.png

You have a lot more faith in humanity than me, but smart move to try and harden the latch against the masses.
If the ClipperCreek succumbs, check out the Grizzl-E

At the EVSE in Cloudcroft one of the connectors internal circuit doesn't disconnect so you can unlatch it but it keep charging. There's no visible sign of arcing and there's a ~0% chance it hasn't been disconnected 'under load' so I bet the pilot is able to trip the relay before the phase connectors are no longer making contact. The pilot is an 'ok' signal so it's not possible to pull the connector out w/o losing it.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
You are expanding Roswell? Or is it an upgrade to the existing installation? I don't have a sense of how much use it is getting.

Yes. Seems to be get a lot of use. The meter is already up to 14,000kWh. About half of my charging sessions there's another Tesla there at some point. The owner told me there have been times with multiple vehicles waiting.

Yes. Seems to be get a lot of use. The meter is already up to 14,000kWh. About half of my charging sessions there's another Tesla there at some point. The owner told me there have been times with multiple vehicles waiting.
How have the business hosts been doing with it so far? Are they seeing increased sales from EV owners? Added headaches or annoyances?