Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McDonalds won't allow revenue collection from the chargers. Not sure why.
Would be interesting to hear why from McDonald's. Maybe for the same reason as Target with L2 chargers? It's a way to attract people to their store. Kinda like providing a paved parking lot for free. The paving was not free, but many people wouldn't put up with a muddy dirt parking lot unless it was out in the middle of nowhere. It's also such a small amount of money per charge session for a customer who stops for an hour to shop and grabs a few electrons. Target does have DC Fast Chargers in their parking lots or nearby, and I've not seen any of those that are free (but maybe somewhere there are). You can bet the first store that offers free DC Fast Charging will be super popular. It could happen.

How many MWh dispensed (and how many years) would typically be required to recover the extra cost of a billing system for a L2 charger?

Last edited:
Was the vandalism just someone turning off the circuit breaker? Years ago kids would play pranks by switching off people's main panel circuit breaker.

No; They removed one of the cables. I'm assuming by stomping on it since it had been yanked out of the bottom of the enclosure. Both HPWCs shows signs someone had pulled down hard on their cables since the grommet was dislodged and the gland nut had been unscrewed on the other clipper creek. People suck.

To answer your previous question the cheapest billing system I've seen is ~$300 for the billing equipment and ~$10/mo for the subscription + 3.9%.

Reactions: ArtiePenguin1
No; They removed one of the cables. I'm assuming by stomping on it since it had been yanked out of the bottom of the enclosure. Both HPWCs shows signs someone had pulled down hard on their cables since the grommet was dislodged and the gland nut had been unscrewed on the other clipper creek. People suck.

To answer your previous question the cheapest billing system I've seen is ~$300 for the billing equipment and ~$10/mo for the subscription + 3.9%.

Those scum will be back I'll wager. I'm thinking surveillance camera with enough smarts to raise an alarm when people are at the site without cars present

No; They removed one of the cables. ...
Thanks for the info. I've read about this happening elsewhere, and some people thought it was to sell the copper. Others pointed out that you won't get much for that little copper, so it's more likely EV-hating saboteurs. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a sign of more to come. Maybe a sign that says "This area under video surveillance" would help, even if there's no actual camera doing any surveillance.

Thanks, and your March 20 post said "McDs has dispensed 85MWh so far". I don't know what the average power price is in Roswell, but a friend in Albuquerque gets PNM's night rate of $0.05/kWh after 10p. At that rate, 85 MWh (85,000 kWh) * $0.05/kWh = $4250 since 2020-05-18 or about $1000/yr on average (less than $3/day, which is less than a Big Mac). I'd expect more per year after the 2 Clipper Creeks went live on 2022-11-13. Does the UFO McDonald's franchisee pay the electric bill?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've read about this happening elsewhere, and some people thought it was to sell the copper. Others pointed out that you won't get much for that little copper, so it's more likely EV-hating saboteurs. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a sign of more to come. Maybe a sign that says "This area under video surveillance" would help, even if there's no actual camera doing any surveillance.
Someone cut the charging cables off the Francis Energy chargers on 2nd St in Roswell:

Thanks, and your March 20 post said "McDs has dispensed 85MWh so far". I don't know what the average power price is in Roswell, but a friend in Albuquerque gets PNM's night rate of $0.05/kWh after 10p. At that rate, 85 MWh (85,000 kWh) * $0.05/kWh = $4250 since 2020-05-18 or about $1000/yr on average (less than $3/day, which is less than a Big Mac). I'd expect more per year after the 2 Clipper Creeks went live on 2022-11-13. Does the UFO McDonald's franchisee pay the electric bill?

The cable removal wasn't very sophisticated. Looked like they stomped on the cable until it finally came out. No tools used. It wasn't cut.

Electric rate is ~$0.10/kWh. ~$0.13/kWh in the summer. McDs pays the bill. It's likely a rounding error on their other expenses.

Someone cut the charging cables off the Francis Energy chargers on 2nd St in Roswell:
The cable removal wasn't very sophisticated. Looked like they stomped on the cable until it finally came out. No tools used. It wasn't cut.

Electric rate is ~$0.10/kWh. ~$0.13/kWh in the summer. McDs pays the bill. It's likely a rounding error on their other expenses.

Thanks, maybe it wasn't the same saboteurs making the rounds because the Francis Energy cable was cut. From the Checkins on the Plugshare page, it looks like it took almost a month to get it fixed (broken Feb 19 through Mar 16). It wasn't their fault the cable was cut, but Francis needs to get serious about reliability if they expect people to take them seriously.

When misinformed/disinformed people finally understand how cheap it is to run a car on electricity vs fossil juice and that you're really not going to run out of power in the desert and die, BEV adoption will accelerate even more. :cool: Right now there's such a huge disinformation campaign underway, promoted at the highest levels. :confused:

Last edited:

Really wish we could get DC charging at that McDonald's. Any chance the franchise owner would be open to submitting an application for the FreeWire Accelerate program?

A 30-minute meal stop is the ideal dwell time for a 200 kW DCFC. They could even use the existing grid connection for the Tesla destination chargers to power that battery buffered DC fast charger. 🔌🔋⚡⚡