Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GoFundMe to Dyno the AWD (non-Performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is awesome. Greatly appreciate someone stepping up to find out quantified performance data, and gofundme is the perfect approach. I'm spending $60k on a M3D in two weeks and have no idea from Tesla what the performance power metrics look like. It would cost me $100 to do on my own, why wouldn't I chip in $10. Count me in!

Any reason you would want near a 100% SOC?

Reactions: bd7349
What are we attempting to glean from this experiment? Dynos are good for measurement of relative change, but not good for absolute measurements. Moreover, testing on different days, at different temperatures, on different dynamometers, etc. all result in different numbers. So two of the exact same car at the exact same SoC can get different results just by being on different rigs.

If someone wants to pay $100 for dyno time, that's fine and fun. But it isn't really going to give us anything useful unless we're measuring something against it.

What are we attempting to glean from this experiment? Dynos are good for measurement of relative change, but not good for absolute measurements. Moreover, testing on different days, at different temperatures, on different dynamometers, etc. all result in different numbers. So two of the exact same car at the exact same SoC can get different results just by being on different rigs.

If someone wants to pay $100 for dyno time, that's fine and fun. But it isn't really going to give us anything useful unless we're measuring something against it.
A meal at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse?

So I see there are some haters, good news, you don’t have to donate. But as others have said just looking to pool our money for collective curiosity.

I found a linked awd dyno in my area and have an apt for next wed around 5pm est. Anyone in the Richmond VA area is welcome to come watch in person, just dm me for info. I plan to upload results shortly afterwards.

And some more good news! I was able to get the shop to throw in the air/fuel ratio monitoring for free!

Now for the tough question - what state of charge to start at? I was thinking 70% but open to discussions.
I’d try to start at 90% if possible.

• Love
Reactions: 1375mlm
So I see there are some haters, good news, you don’t have to donate. But as others have said just looking to pool our money for collective curiosity.

I found a linked awd dyno in my area and have an apt for next wed around 5pm est. Anyone in the Richmond VA area is welcome to come watch in person, just dm me for info. I plan to upload results shortly afterwards.

And some more good news! I was able to get the shop to throw in the air/fuel ratio monitoring for free!

Now for the tough question - what state of charge to start at? I was thinking 70% but open to discussions.

Since you get 3 runs for $100, I would suggest to try to start the 1st run with as close to full charge as possible, because I am very curious what the max/peak hp for the AWD. When you do the second run, the battery charge will be lower and the 3rd run will be even lower. This will also give us info on what the hp is like as the battery charge becomes lower.

A/F for free? I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but if I'm not mistaken, it's only good for internal combustion engines, not electric motors.

As for SOC... Take your pick based on my ninja runs for 1/4 miles and 0-65 MPH. About 50% SOC is the cutoff rated 0-60 MPH time of 3.5 seconds. I would think 90%, 50%, and 20%. If a fourth one was provided in lieu of complimentary A/F monitoring, it should probably be 90%, 70%, 50%, and 20%. Definitely 2 out of the 3 tests should be 90% (for normal daily max charging) and 20% (for lowest SOC before battery status changes from green to yellow).

A/F for free? I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but if I'm not mistaken, it's only good for internal combustion engines, not electric motors.

As for SOC... Take your pick based on my ninja runs for 1/4 miles and 0-65 MPH. About 50% SOC is the cutoff rated 0-60 MPH time of 3.5 seconds. I would think 90%, 50%, and 20%. If a fourth one was provided in lieu of complimentary A/F monitoring, it should probably be 90%, 70%, 50%, and 20%. Definitely 2 out of the 3 tests should be 90% (for normal daily max charging) and 20% (for lowest SOC before battery status changes from green to yellow).

Yes A/F comment was an attempt at humor... If you want to bring your performance 3 down to RVA (1 -1.5 hr drive) we can try and do back to back runs with your Performance and my M3D?

Reactions: scottf200

Yes A/F comment was an attempt at humor... If you want to bring your performance 3 down to RVA (1 -1.5 hr drive) we can try and do back to back runs with your Performance and my M3D?

Oh, then may I suggest to indicate humor with a laughing emoticon or the like, or even imserting a "/s"?

Thank you for the invite. Unfortunately, the 5PM timing does not favorably fit into my work schedule. Factoring in the recharge at Superchargers, double dyno times and the drive back home, my wife and toddler wouldn't be thrilled. Also, it's on the eve of Thanksgiving.

Too many variables for me to make it out. Normally, I'd go for something like this. I would shift my work schedule around to make it happen and make it so that it's around early afternoon when I can be off family radar, be back before they know I went joy riding. :p

Oh, then may I suggest to indicate humor with a laughing emoticon or the like, or even imserting a "/s"?

Thank you for the invite. Unfortunately, the 5PM timing does not favorably fit into my work schedule. Factoring in the recharge at Superchargers, double dyno times and the drive back home, my wife and toddler wouldn't be thrilled. Also, it's on the eve of Thanksgiving.

Too many variables for me to make it out. Normally, I'd go for something like this. I would shift my work schedule around to make it happen and make it so that it's around early afternoon when I can be off family radar, be back before they know I went joy riding. :p
I’m happy to reschedule the date to one that works for both of us. Feel free to message me.

Location of the DYNO ?