Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GoFundMe to Dyno the AWD (non-Performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to tell if there is a difference between the front/back motors between the AWD vs the PAWD. I wonder if for example the P pushes the front motor more and both cars have the same rear motor power? Something like both give 100% of the rear at start but P gives 100% of the front vs 50% on non P? Or it could be the opposite they are the same on the front but the P pushes the rear harder...

Or it could be the same percentage on both front/back but P just gives more juice...

Could a different balance explain the 400 rpm difference between the cars?

Is there any way to tell if there is a difference between the front/back motors between the AWD vs the PAWD. I wonder if for example the P pushes the front motor more and both cars have the same rear motor power? Something like both give 100% of the rear at start but P gives 100% of the front vs 50% on non P? Or it could be the opposite they are the same on the front but the P pushes the rear harder...

Or it could be the same percentage on both front/back but P just gives more juice...

Could a different balance explain the 400 rpm difference between the cars?

Physically they all get the same rear motor, and they all get the same front motor.

Only differences are in software (and I don't think any of the hackers have gotten access to any sort of detailed power curve info)

The EPA data "rates" the rear output lower on the Non-P AWD though (and same on the front), so what little evidence we have suggests that's where the difference is in those output curves.

That's what I was hoping, but wasn't sure if track mode might have changed the curve some.

Far as anyone knows TM only impacts things like cooling, regen braking and the traction/stability systems...

None of the Model 3 variants are traction limited right now regardless (as one can tell from the fact changing to stickier tires appears to make no difference to any acceleration measures- P owners switching from all seasons to PS4S tires got no quicker times)

Cooling isn't an issue until you've already beaten on the car for a bit (so not a single dyno pull or drag race)

And obviously changes to regen braking don't make the car any quicker :)

For those who are watching this thread or possibly found this thread from a search, I have uploaded videos of the dyno event up on YouTube and it is found in this thread here: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor vs. Performance Dyno Results

So, does this mean the Performance is underrated at 450 HP/471 Torque? And there's zero drivetrain losses like an ICE?

No, the Performance is not underrated in view of the dyno results. Dynamometer (dyno) is just a measuring tool and the measurements vary from one dyno to another. It's just a good tool to do comparison after modifying the car on the same day. As for power losses, there are some, but should not be as much as ICE. Google research should point you to the correct answer. :)

Wow! Thank you for doing this? What kind of P3D was it, a + or a -?

Do we know what the differences are between the P3D- and the P3D+? If so, please point me there. I haven't found them.

My car is the P3D+ variant, i.e., Performance with Performance Upgrade. This includes the 20" wheels and bigger brakes.

Fascinating! Thanks for posting. It lines up nicely with what some prediction engines (like this one on Wallace Racing), which shows about 475-480HP for an ET of 11.8 in the quarter mile, with trap speed of 115. Those prediction engines might slightly overestimate HP in an EV vs. ICE due to the gear shifting needed in an ICE and the flatter torque curves of EV, but it's still really really close. NIce job!

My Dragy times validate those predicted calculations: SOC vs power and torque output

Thanks, but I was wondering what the difference was on the Dyno curves (if any) between a M3P- and a M3P+.

Probably negligible because there's no power/torque changes. Just different sized wheels/suspension which have negligible effect. Dyno calculations would have to adjust to the different sized wheels.

That's what I was hoping, but wasn't sure if track mode might have changed the curve some.

Track mode doesn't change power/torque. It only prolongs the availability of it when taking the car to the track to prevent overheating, among other endurance issues.