Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going back to an ICE is very disorienting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my first drive in an ICE today after a few months in my Model 3. When I sat down in the driver's seat I was overwhelmed by all the buttons and the white names printed on them. It really felt weird looking down at all the "stuff". Of course I left the car running when I parked as I forgot about hitting the engine 'off' button.

What was even worse was getting the car to "go". I have been getting spoiled by the instant power in the M3. Here car is low powered SUV, so not the fastest car to begin with, but it felt ridiculously slow.

I had my first drive in an ICE today after a few months in my Model 3. When I sat down in the driver's seat I was overwhelmed by all the buttons and the white names printed on them. It really felt weird looking down at all the "stuff". Of course I left the car running when I parked as I forgot about hitting the engine 'off' button.

What was even worse was getting the car to "go". I have been getting spoiled by the instant power in the M3. Here car is low powered SUV, so not the fastest car to begin with, but it felt ridiculously slow.
Driving an ICE after getting used to a Tesla is such a chore.

You get really spoiled with the Model 3. I've come to realize since owning my car, I have not once pressed a button to lock/unlock the car, start/stopped the engine, turned on/off the headlights, stopped at a gas station, looked at a meter/dial that meant absolutely nothing to me, etc..

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Brisket5652
I had the same experience as OP. After two years in Model S and now Model 3, I was in Hawaii for two weeks at end of Dec and drove my previous Acura MDX. It is 6 years old and was pretty sporty for an SUV in its day. But the gazillion buttons, no regen, no EAP and lag off the line were very disorienting. I too left the car running and forgot to start it. And filling with gas...yuck.

Saddest was no Santa mode at Xmas.

My wife still has an ICE, we are waiting for her lease to be up and the Model Y, and the biggest thing for me was no regen so I actually had to do all of the braking!! My old ICE used to go through brake pads quickly so I look forward to long lives on the pads for the 3.

I hear ya! First time I had to get back in my pickup to move it out the driveway....I parked it across the street and literally hopped out and started walking away with keys in ignition and truck still running...
Felt foolish but meh.....

My old ICE used to go through brake pads quickly so I look forward to long lives on the pads for the 3.
My 2013 VW Passat had just at 100k with original brake pads when I turned it in and I was shocked at how long they lasted (still at 30 to 40%) and these were brakes that had to be used! the engine compression braking was pretty good because of the diesel motor I guess so one had to initially press the brake pedal and let off quite a bit as the car downshifted, it was nowhere near regen braking though so I wonder if pads ever need to be replaced in a 3 (under normal circumstances)

yes, it's how do I get this thing to move? No, I don't want the wipers on. Now, how do I shut this thing off?

That was my experience with a rental car last year. I don't think I left it running or unlocked. But I know that I hit the wipers every single trip all week, trying to shift into reverse. And at the end of the week, I had to take it to one of those "gas stations"! <shudder>