Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from a S to a X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 S90D. I am going to take advantage of the Supercharging and FSD Transfer to a 2024 either S or X.

Staying with a S:

PRO:
70 more miles range
Possibly use my Snow tires and Rims
Possibly use my roof racks
$5 K cheaper
Smoother ride and smaller

Cons:
Loose 7,500 Fed Rebate
No Tow Package

What am I missing? Who out there has had a S and a X and would like to give advice?

I am in the same boat as you are - loosing the ability to use my roof rack is a major bummer chasing snow…but I am going to make the jump to the X regardless. Planning on going with a suction cup rack to at least have the ability to carry boards and skis on the roof. Definitely won’t be able to use your S’s snow tires on the X, right now I am thinking on going with Tsportsline’s 19” rims for a snow tire setup which appear the only 19” wheels fitting the refresh X.

Upvote 0
Weighed the same thought myself. Have a 2017 Model S. Just placed an order for Model X yesterday. Hopefully I can get it delivered before end of March. Taking advantage of Supercharger and FSD transfer. Odd part is when they transfer the FSD to X, my model S gets stripped down to Basic Autopilot even though it was purchased with Enhanced Autopilot. I get it but don't get it.

Upvote 0
I have a 2016 S90D. I am going to take advantage of the Supercharging and FSD Transfer to a 2024 either S or X.

Staying with a S:

PRO:
70 more miles range
Possibly use my Snow tires and Rims
Possibly use my roof racks
$5 K cheaper
Smoother ride and smaller

Cons:
Loose 7,500 Fed Rebate
No Tow Package

What am I missing? Who out there has had a S and a X and would like to give advice?
I'm planning on upgrading my 2017 Model S LR to a new Model S LR or maybe a new Model X LR too. I'd go with the 5-seater base model of the Model X because nothing else gets the $7500 tax rebate.

Getting to transfer FSD and FUSC and get $1000 off for my Cybertruck reservation is just too good to ignore.

Either way I'll lose my power sunroof and my free Premium Connectivity, so that's a wash. I don't suppose anybody has heard rumors of a future free sunroof transfer? :D

What I want is the best ski and road trip vehicle. So the greater cargo capacity of the X is its big win, and the greater range of the S is its. Back in 2017 I rented a Model X and drove it around on vacation for over a week, then decided to upgrade my 2014 RWD Model S to a new Model S, so I've gone through this process once before.

Here's my list of pros and cons for staying with the S...

Pros:
~57 miles more range*
noticeably faster 0-60
more efficient (~15%)
a couple of inches less wide
don't need new set of wheels and snow tires
wheels / tires are less expensive
better headroom in the middle back seat (due to falcon wing door mechanism)
wireless device charging in the back seat
no weird falcon wing doors to cause problems***
less likely to have problems and repairs are cheaper**
insurance is cheaper**

Cons vs X:
- ~$2K more expensive after $7500 rebate on X
- another $1K for tow package
- X has an inch or two more ground clearance
- X has substantially more cargo capacity
- X sits higher, so easier to enter and exit
- X has more room in front seats
- X has more width in back seats
- X has better headroom in back outside seats
- X has lighted vanity mirrors

* As the 405 mile number for the Model S range has not been adjusted for EPA test changes, I'm comparing it to the pre-adjustment Model X number (348 rather than 335).
**I don't know this, but base it on buying an extended warranty from Xcelerate.com being 20% more expensive for Model X for the 8yr warranty for a 2023 model with 20,000 miles on it that I looked at.
*** Are the falcon wing doors still causing various problems for people? I know they used to.

Happy to hear people's thoughts on this, especially if I've gotten anything wrong.

Reactions: Pcuz
Upvote 0
I'm planning on upgrading my 2017 Model S LR to a new Model S LR or maybe a new Model X LR too. I'd go with the 5-seater base model of the Model X because nothing else gets the $7500 tax rebate.

Getting to transfer FSD and FUSC and get $1000 off for my Cybertruck reservation is just too good to ignore.

Either way I'll lose my power sunroof and my free Premium Connectivity, so that's a wash. I don't suppose anybody has heard rumors of a future free sunroof transfer? :D

What I want is the best ski and road trip vehicle. So the greater cargo capacity of the X is its big win, and the greater range of the S is its. Back in 2017 I rented a Model X and drove it around on vacation for over a week, then decided to upgrade my 2014 RWD Model S to a new Model S, so I've gone through this process once before.

Here's my list of pros and cons for staying with the S...

Pros:
~57 miles more range*
noticeably faster 0-60
more efficient (~15%)
a couple of inches less wide
wheels / tires are less expensive
better headroom in the middle back seat (due to falcon wing door mechanism)
wireless device charging in the back seat
no weird falcon wing doors to cause problems***
less likely to have problems and repairs are cheaper**
insurance is cheaper**

Cons vs X:
- ~$2K more expensive after $7500 rebate on X
- another $1K for tow package
- X has an inch or two more ground clearance
- X has substantially more cargo capacity
- X sits higher, so easier to enter and exit
- X has more room in front seats
- X has more width in back seats
- X has better headroom in back outside seats
- X has lighted vanity mirrors

* As the 405 mile number for the Model S range has not been adjusted for EPA test changes, I'm comparing it to the pre-adjustment Model X number (348 rather than 335).
**I don't know this, but base it on buying an extended warranty from Xcelerate.com being 20% more expensive for Model X for the 8yr warranty for a 2023 model with 20,000 miles on it that I looked at.
*** Are the falcon wing doors still causing various problems for people? I know they used to.

Happy to hear people's thoughts on this, especially if I've gotten anything wrong.
C'mon people, why do I have to correct my own errors?

I wrote:
Of course, I will, because the Model S has different size wheels and tires now. In fact, the front and rear are now different!

The new 19" rims and tires are now a bit wider on the front and even wider on the rear. At least the lug nut size (and recommended torque) are the same!

Upvote 0
I very highly doubt you can use your roof rack from an S on an X - you do know it has falcon wing doors, right?
Seasucker or TreeFrog suction cup roof racks will work with the X if you are not having to open the doors…that will be my solution for this issue…just load has to be very low - not sure how much weight is safe for the glass…but should be good for some ski and snowboard gear…

Upvote 0
I was in a similar situation. 2016 S and came very close to getting a new X. Decided to get a MYP instead after close examination of those rear doors. I just don't trust them to last a long time given the condition of the roads around here and the body flex that the vehicle will be subjected to. It's a great idea and maybe after they have been out for a few more years I will change my mind.

Upvote 0
I was in a similar situation. 2016 S and came very close to getting a new X. Decided to get a MYP instead after close examination of those rear doors. I just don't trust them to last a long time given the condition of the roads around here and the body flex that the vehicle will be subjected to. It's a great idea and maybe after they have been out for a few more years I will change my mind.

My FWD's have nearly perfect alignment.

Reactions: John in LB
Upvote 0
IMG_1439.jpeg

Thule Motion XT XXL and Treefrog suction bars. Can’t use rear FWD - and reduce carrying capacity weight-wise.

Upvote 0