Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on a 500 mile trip and the car and ABRP are totally different. Looking for advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m driving to California and it’s 470 miles. My 2021 short range M3 is telling me there’s three stops at 40 minutes each.
ABRP is telling me three stops but one is 18 minutes one is 20 and one is 15 minutes.
I have all the default settings in there and don’t know why they’re such a discrepancy. The app is set to 237 W per mile at 65 miles an hour which I think that’s the default. The car is charged to 100% and says the range is 240 miles.
And in the app I even have the SOC set to 95%
My old 2014 P 85+ used to do the same trip with three stops in about 40 minutes each with a slow charging battery. Just wondering why my current car says it’s going to take so long at the stops.

Did you select your model of car in ABRP?
Yes I have standard range in there.
I think it’s the car that’s incorrect.
I used to do this drive all the time in my old Model S that Tesla reduced the charge rate and it was about exactly what the M3 is saying. I’m pretty sure the faster charging of the M3 and a much lighter efficient car as my MS, I would think I’d get to my destination faster.

Yes I have standard range in there.
I think it’s the car that’s incorrect.
I used to do this drive all the time in my old Model S that Tesla reduced the charge rate and it was about exactly what the M3 is saying. I’m pretty sure the faster charging of the M3 and a much lighter efficient car as my MS, I would think I’d get to my destination faster.
Not a whole lot the forum could do to help if you don't post the route.

Attachments

• B0F0DB89-1C0E-48CE-B2D0-F3212B58AB17.jpeg
    B0F0DB89-1C0E-48CE-B2D0-F3212B58AB17.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic
The car is very conservative - it really errs on the side of making sure you arrive to your next destination. So, it is likely planning for you to arrive at each supercharger with about 20% charge.
ABRP is aggressive and generally spot on - it'll have you arrive to the next supercharger with 8% state of charge..
I would charge up a bit more than ABRP, but not as much as the car recommends

Last edited:
Tucson to Anaheim
Did a similar trip from Prescott to Anaheim in my 18M3p. I can tell you the first stop your map listed just west of Phoenix, is at fast food place that has a slow charger. Used it once to try it, and that was it. I remember maybe 150kw, but not sure. I can make Prescott to Ca AZ border charger on 10. Not sure if your range will allow that, and maybe is why the stop west of Phoenix. I used the other stops on your planner and there were good. Can't remember too many chargers on the Tucson to Ca route. Is one at Culvers, but that would be too soon to top off, but is a faster charger.

Reactions: XPsionic
Did a similar trip from Prescott to Anaheim in my 18M3p. I can tell you the first stop your map listed just west of Phoenix, is at fast food place that has a slow charger. Used it once to try it, and that was it. I remember maybe 150kw, but not sure. I can make Prescott to Ca AZ border charger on 10. Not sure if your range will allow that, and maybe is why the stop west of Phoenix. I used the other stops on your planner and there were good. Can't remember too many chargers on the Tucson to Ca route. Is one at Culvers, but that would be too soon to top off, but is a faster charger.
yes those charger at Culver's is Casa Grande, my first stop is Buckeye which is where I've always stopped at for my first stop in my Model S.I'll just do this drive and see how it goes.

Reactions: XPsionic
and I'm trying to figure out what's the best speed to go at to get me to my destination the quickest. and the model S I would try to go as fast as I can to get me to the charger with 5 to 8%.
i have SMT so I can test my wattage at different speeds

I’m driving to California and it’s 470 miles. My 2021 short range M3 is telling me there’s three stops at 40 minutes each.
ABRP is telling me three stops but one is 18 minutes one is 20 and one is 15 minutes.
I have all the default settings in there and don’t know why they’re such a discrepancy. The app is set to 237 W per mile at 65 miles an hour which I think that’s the default. The car is charged to 100% and says the range is 240 miles.
And in the app I even have the SOC set to 95%
My old 2014 P 85+ used to do the same trip with three stops in about 40 minutes each with a slow charging battery. Just wondering why my current car says it’s going to take so long at the stops.
Tesla is conservative and it rounds up. Just think about how much charge you'll get if you charge 3x40mins. That's 2hrs total of charging, at supercharger speeds. Now compare that to 53mins of supercharging, and how many kWh it'll add. Which seems correct?

From my experience ABRP is extremely accurate, if you give it accurate inputs, while the Tesla app is just playing it safe.

In ABRP, you can have it use all of your car's data and calculate your actual 65mph efficiency. That'll give you the absolute best results.
and I'm trying to figure out what's the best speed to go at to get me to my destination the quickest. and the model S I would try to go as fast as I can to get me to the charger with 5 to 8%.
i have SMT so I can test my wattage at different speeds
In general, the faster you go, the shorter the trip. I've never seen anything to contradict that. Though, I typically don't drive down to 5-8% SOC. I target 13%, and if I go down under 10%, so be it. I'd only target lower SOCs if I had subscribed to ABRP, because then it's updating your trip prediction in real-time using wind data, etc.

Reactions: Lindenwood
if you can charge faster (mi/hr) than you can drive, then your limiting factor is how fast you drive (as long as you make it to the next supercharger)
That's how I used to drive my S, I'd go sometimes fast as long as I'd get to the next stop wit 5-10%.
Maybe the car is correct, cause I'm at Buckeye and tried a couple stations and only getting 48kw. Pulled in with 22%, should be getting way more then 48Kw. Others here same as well, plus I'm on a A station too.
Oh well, have to see what Quartzsite gets.

Your car model might be confusing either the Tesla software, or ABRP. If you bought the SR car, not the SR+, then later added the + by paying for the unlock, then your car is officially an SR+ but might not be reflected properly in either software.

If you are at 240 miles at 100% I don't think you have an SR anymore, that's SR+ range. My car is an SR, and new it was 217 miles max, and now is right at 200 miles after 3700 miles.

Regardless of those tricky details- I would recommend believing the in-car metrics once you are driving, because those will take into account environmental effects like a head wind that ABRP can't know in advance.

Reactions: rpiotro
Your car model might be confusing either the Tesla software, or ABRP. If you bought the SR car, not the SR+, then later added the + by paying for the unlock, then your car is officially an SR+ but might not be reflected properly in either software.

If you are at 240 miles at 100% I don't think you have an SR anymore, that's SR+ range. My car is an SR, and new it was 217 miles max, and now is right at 200 miles after 3700 miles.

Regardless of those tricky details- I would recommend believing the in-car metrics once you are driving, because those will take into account environmental effects like a head wind that ABRP can't know in advance.
yes, sorry.I have the +