Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going straight to PPF installer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up on Friday and have a PPF install appointment on Monday. In my mind I was going to drive around and enjoy my car for 2 days (also test out that everything works correctly before investing into the car). But after reading some posts here, a lot of people go directly to the PPF install straight from the delivery? Is this necessary?

you will be fine just keep your distance from cars infront thats all. i went straight from pickup yesterday to my ppf guy to have the whole car done cause it makes my washing my cars every 4 days that much easier. i had been working with him over the past couple months to make sure i got in the day i got the car.

I am picking up on Friday and have a PPF install appointment on Monday. In my mind I was going to drive around and enjoy my car for 2 days (also test out that everything works correctly before investing into the car). But after reading some posts here, a lot of people go directly to the PPF install straight from the delivery? Is this necessary?
The model Y is a car, a basic car full of wonderful technology. It is not a rare Bugatti that is going to worth millions more in 20 years. Drive your car for a few days before the PPF install. Chances are you won't get any stone chips, but if you do, who cares? I have the rear fender PPF and flaps Tesla provided, along with two coats of DIY ceramic. That's it. I'm not spending thousands to stop some chips, and PPF won't add a penny come resale.

Necessary, no. You do PPF if it's worth it to you. I see this thread has already been hit by the no's, but I'm partial to a full frontal. It's not actually much money vs how expensive these cars are. And hell I've done it on cheaper cars so its not really about cost to me, but protecting my cars finish.

Necessary is largely subjective. To me PPF itself is insane to consider looking at a cost/benefit analysis. There are generally 2 mantras, don't worry about it, or do it all immediately. I'm on the do nothing team, I'll ceramic coat it myself and outside that I'll simply try not to tailgate people and I'll get mud flaps.
Yeah, I read up on all that. To me it's mainly because we have a lot of construction in the summers and a ton of road salt in the winters. The front bumper is going to go through a lot, especially with no grill.

I guess 2-3 days of driving won't really matter. A small stone chip or something may be bad but it's not the end of the world I guess.

Also, I guess you guys are in the states where these cars are 60k and PPF is 2k? Here in Toronto, the car is 90k (100k+ after tax) and the PPF is 2k so it's about 1/50th of the cost. It's not a Bugatti but it is an expensive car here.

If your appointment is so close, keep car off road. I picked up 4 paint chips before ppf was installed 4 weeks after getting car and paint chip is directly in view of passenger door so I see it always.
I’m in Los Angeles. My full body Stek brand glossy PPF with lifetime warranty on install was $6k including California tax. I found a new place offering $2,500 I guess they were eager to get a client roster. Most other established well known installers were around $6K for full body. That being said, full body might be overkill ppl say but just last week a fellow’s dog jumped up on my car p’s side doors while we were talking. The PPF got scratched and as the day got hotter and ppf was in sun, the scratch from dog vanished. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: ShelJW
Just stay off the highway and back off other cars on the road, driving it around town you will be fine. Pretty polarizing opinions on PPF, but if you bought/financed the car, plan to keep it a long time, than the value of ease of maintaining and keeping your car's finish looking new could be worth it.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just stay off the highway and back off other cars on the road, driving it around town you will be fine. Pretty polarizing opinions on PPF, but if you bought/financed the car, plan to keep it a long time, than the value of ease of maintaining and keeping your car's finish looking new could be worth it.
Will need to use the highway to go from delivery to installer even

Reactions: walex19
Will need to use the highway to go from delivery to installer even
I wouldn't worry that much, just follow the standard rules of not following closely and you will be fine. Im in Toronto as well and drove my Y for a week before my ppf appointment. The installer should be washing and doing a light paint correction prior to installimg the ppf but i guess it depends on what package you get. IMO, ppf is worth it based on my experience. I did it on my wife Lexus NX back in 2016 and it still looks good. I cheaped out on doing it on my Lexus GS and regretted it as there was alot on stone chips over time however i dont feel so bad now since I traded it in for the Y. Keep in mind that ppf won't prevent stone chips, you still have to remember to keep a distance from the car in front and maintain the ppf.

Reactions: Umar96
and PPF won't add a penny come resale.
This is an opinion. I have had ppf film on my last 4 cars. And while some people don’t care there are a lot that do. It’s nice to see a chip free front end when you are buying a car and it will get more money on the sale. My last car that i sold to a dealer they gave me half of what I paid for the ppf On top of the purchase price. It was a 3 year old focus rs though. So I think that there are people that care and will pay extra. But I have my car fully wrapped in matte ppf film so I’m a little biased.😀

I let my car set in the garage for a week until I could get an appointment to have the ppf installed.
405478AA-906F-48AE-8F8B-C6BCBD897BA5.jpeg

Reactions: thesmokingman
This is an opinion. I have had ppf film on my last 4 cars. And while some people don’t care there are a lot that do. It’s nice to see a chip free front end when you are buying a car and it will get more money on the sale. My last car that i sold to a dealer they gave me half of what I paid for the ppf On top of the purchase price. It was a 3 year old focus rs though. So I think that there are people that care and will pay extra. But I have my car fully wrapped in matte ppf film so I’m a little biased.😀

I let my car set in the garage for a week until I could get an appointment to have the ppf installed.
View attachment 820256
Zero value added. I buy and sell a lot of cars and basically nobody cares. Doesn’t add any value at all. I would not pay thousands on ppf.

Bought a pre cut kit and did it myself. Really not that hard for an overall good job. Spent his dress and not thousands.

Zero value added. I buy and sell a lot of cars and basically nobody cares. Doesn’t add any value at all. I would not pay thousands on ppf.

Bought a pre cut kit and did it myself. Really not that hard for an overall good job. Spent his dress and not thousands.
LOL love these responses. Buying and selling cars is basically like auctions. Private sale to the right buyer people will pay more for ppf. Some will some won’t. Only takes one buyer. I got a lot more for my golf R that had ppf by about 5k compared to same spec and same mileage. Guy literally said I looked at the other buyers. His bumper was peppered. Scratched by the door handles from rings. Bought mine cause it was immaculate after 6 years and 40k miles. Well worth my 7k investment.

LOL love these responses. Buying and selling cars is basically like auctions. Private sale to the right buyer people will pay more for ppf. Some will some won’t. Only takes one buyer. I got a lot more for my golf R that had ppf by about 5k compared to same spec and same mileage. Guy literally said I looked at the other buyers. His bumper was peppered. Scratched by the door handles from rings. Bought mine cause it was immaculate after 6 years and 40k miles. Well worth my 7k investment.
Whatever you need to convince yourself to spend $7,000 on a Tesla for a zero value add. It’s your money not mine. I spent $700 on a full front and full rockers and did it myself. Not for everyone, but was not hard at all and turned out really good.

With that being said the car I just sold I bought used. 2020 M3p. Had full front ppf, ceramic coating, and fsd by the previous owner. I paid at the very low end of range for the car. Dealer didn’t advertise any of it and I would be willing to bet that owner got $0 for any of it. Sold to Tesla and made money on it after 4-5 months and they didn’t ask about any of it either. Why? Nobody cares. Except for that rare private party buyer.

You might be that 1% that sells for more money, but $7k? No way. For $7k you can get almost a full paint job. $7k on ppf is INSANE. You are sending your ppf installers kids to an Ivy League school.

Keep in mind people. This is a Tesla, not a Bugatti.

Reactions: csrpenfab