Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to Falcon Heavy launch discussion

Do you plan to see the launch?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks! I created a slack channel to try and organize a bit better. This might make it easier for people who want to meet up and get face time at the event. Here's an invite link.

Create Account | Slack

Slack is a free (I think up to a point?) chat program/site. You sign up to each channel individually, others of you might already use slack at work, or for other events.

There's a general channel by default, and I'll try to create one for each of the different tickets at KSC. Please let join up! And let me know if anything needs changing. Haven't set a full channel up before. Cheers!

Reactions: Yuri_G
As the only new information available to present, I stand by my post :rolleyes: (plus if weather is really bad, that could indicate a more reliable problem)

Since we are on the subject:
Do weather percentages really work like that? I mean, an hour has 60 minutes, so why not 10%*4*60= 2400% chance of rain?

From my attachment:

To me, this means there is a 40% chance of at least one rain event during the time period (of any length and size). Of course, we mostly care about 2 hours or so (fueling to launch).

I’m just speaking from my experience as a 6 year full time resident who used to look at weather reports before scheduling tee times. Now I just schedule when I want unless a hurricane is approaching.

Reactions: mongo
Still have not received the parking placard..
I got a call today from my Norwegian guy in the US, telling me that mine came today, this is in New York.
Had a tracking number witch KSC never did provided me with (would have make things alot easier), and it was expressed overnight with Fedex.
My guess is that yours is on its way to you :)
Thankfully my guy is shipping mine overnight back to Florida, to the hotel i have booked.
Feels a lot better regarding the placard thing now.

Wow, guess our 5hr early pass isn't going to beat the rush... Normally, parking doesn't open till 30 minutes before KCSVC does, so 8:30am. With a 1:30 launch, they are bringing people in at 7:30!

Whaat?? I never been there before, but since everything is closed that day, what on earth can people do to spend all that time before launching stages are starting?

Should we have a TMC meet up?

Would be fun to meet other owners from another country.
However, is a fossil fueled car ok to show up with? as Avis didn't have any Tesla's for rent:mad:
And mine, well, i delivered it to Tesla for repairs last month and was given a f#%££ Toyota Auris to drive with.
-I do starting to miss my car, still atleast 14 more days according to service center...

View attachment 277148
Weather reports in Florida , especially long range, are fairly meaningless. A 40% chance of rain might mean there are 4 hours during the day when the chance of rain is 10%.

Hey, atleast it isnt snowing, your temperature right now in Florida is hotter than the last summer we had.
So i'll take that 40% or 10% rain and more than +20c anyday,
Much better than what i am coming from now, with over 1 meter (3 feet?) with snow and -18 celsius.
:p

Whaat?? I never been there before, but since everything is closed that day, what on earth can people do to spend all that time before launching stages are starting?

I'm thinking: They need to bus people out to the site. Then there will be special guest (I saw rumor of Bill Nye). Plus lunch. That all happens far enough before the launch window for everyone to move outside and get set up.

Edit: plus everyone is going to show up at once /early as opposed to a more leisurely day.

However, is a fossil fueled car ok to show up with?
Hope so, my rental is (neither daily driver is up for the trip).

Thankfully my guy is shipping mine overnight back to Florida, to the hotel i have booked.
Feels a lot better regarding the placard thing now.
Yay!

Last edited:
Would be fun to meet other owners from another country.
However, is a fossil fueled car ok to show up with? as Avis didn't have any Tesla's for rent:mad:
And mine, well, i delivered it to Tesla for repairs last month and was given a f#%££ Toyota Auris to drive with.
-I do starting to miss my car, still atleast 14 more days according to service center...

Nobody will know (or care most likely) what car you show up. We all just want to hang out with fellow Tesla / SpaceX enthusiasts. We have a slack group going at Create Account | Slack

So come say hi! Thanks to @bluefuego, @Yuri_G, @Chips and @theflyer for showing up so far!

I'm thinking: They need to bus people out to the site. Then there will be special guest (I saw rumor of Bill Nye). Plus lunch. That all happens far enough before the launch window for everyone to move outside and get set up.

Edit: plus everyone is going to show up at once /early as opposed to a more leisurely day.

Aah, didn't think about the part "special guest", but makes somewhat sense.

But do you know where announced time went?
I remember it stated 12.30 or something, and now its gone.

Yup.. got it today.

Great!

Nobody will know (or care most likely) what car you show up. We all just want to hang out with fellow Tesla / SpaceX enthusiasts. We have a slack group going at Create Account | Slack

So come say hi! Thanks to @bluefuego, @Yuri_G, @Chips and @theflyer for showing up so far!

Never tried slacker, but is everybody at the same platform and channel, or is it divided between whatsapp and this?

Have no problem with either, but dont have any of them, so ill create account and install whatever people are on:)
Feeling old reading this, i like to use SMS in my daily life and are happy with that:eek:
As i tell my friends, is it longer than you can fit in the sms, they could just call me instead:p
Same thing for customers, email if not important or a long story, but call if its important, or a lot of explaining:)

Disclaimer: long term forecasts being what they are...

Current forecast 30% chance of rain (down from 40% yesterday). Per http://www.patrick.af.mil/Portals/14/documents/Weather {01FEB18.pdf}
Looking better then, great!

From Spaceflightnow.com:

Feb. 6 Falcon Heavy • Demo Flight
Launch window: 1830-2130 GMT (1:30-4:30 p.m. EST)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch on its first demonstration flight. The heavy-lift rocket is formed of three Falcon 9 rocket cores strapped together with 27 Merlin 1D engines firing at liftoff. The first Falcon Heavy rocket will attempt to place a Tesla Roadster on an Earth escape trajectory into a heliocentric orbit. Delayed from 3rd Quarter of 2015 and April, September and December 2016. Delayed from 1st Quarter 2017, 2nd Quarter 2017 and 3rd Quarter 2017. Delayed from November and December 2017. Delayed from January. [Jan. 28]

Also, if anyone has a last minute conflict or cancellation for a Feel The Heat ticket, please keep me in mind. thanks!

Dont know if this is a legit site or not, but was searching for something else and stumbled across this:
brickwall238's Items For Sale on eBid United States - Page 1 seems like his trying to earn more than he paid, if its legit at all...

From Spaceflightnow.com:

Feb. 6 Falcon Heavy • Demo Flight
Launch window: 1830-2130 GMT (1:30-4:30 p.m. EST)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch on its first demonstration flight. The heavy-lift rocket is formed of three Falcon 9 rocket cores strapped together with 27 Merlin 1D engines firing at liftoff. The first Falcon Heavy rocket will attempt to place a Tesla Roadster on an Earth escape trajectory into a heliocentric orbit. Delayed from 3rd Quarter of 2015 and April, September and December 2016. Delayed from 1st Quarter 2017, 2nd Quarter 2017 and 3rd Quarter 2017. Delayed from November and December 2017. Delayed from January. [Jan. 28]

I think of spaceflightnow as somewhat serious, but am i correct to think that the only good source is to keep checking kennedyspacecenter.com?
I dont know how else to calculate the time we need to be there, as there are conflicting times reported several places.