Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going up pikes peak and back down in a single charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be staying in colorado springs for 2 nights before I head up to denver for Christmas. Was thinking of taking another trip up pikes peak to the top (assuming it's open) in my Model Y. I know alot of factors play into range but has anyone made the trip to the top and then back down on a single charge? I'm thinking the trip down + regen would help but not too sure.

Here is what a better route planner says for my car (2017 S100D) using the nearby supercharger as a starting point.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.33.08 PM.png

I hope you go up Wednesday, weather says windchill should be -35 to -45!! Bring a windbreaker!
If you go on a cold day, I suggest you do not stop for more than a few minutes at the top. If the battery cools below 60F and you lose some regen, your only way to slow down will be to use your brakes and you'll burn through them going down (and a ranger will do a brake temp check halfway down and make you pull over to let them cool, which will let the battery cool even more)..

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The rule of thumb I’ve heard is 7 miles of range consumed to climb 1,000’ and then something like 5 miles of range recovered when you descend 1,000’. Those numbers are the altitude correction and in addition to the range used for the mileages travelled and the HVAC usage. The mileage recovery assumes you are using regen braking and not the physical brakes.

Along the lines of what @Barry said, if it’s cold, leave the climate control on while parked at the top of the mountain, which should help keep the battery warmer than if the car shuts down. If you charged relatively recently before your ascent, you won’t be close to an empty battery while parked at the top. If possible, do not use the physical brakes on your descent. They will overheat! Engine/regen braking is your friend on long mountain descents!

We did that in July and they were not letting vehicles go to the top because of the construction. Replacing entire Visitor Center, They do let you go to one of two parking areas partially up and then ferry everyone to the top in vans. They fill the farthest lot first (so get there (in line) at the entrance - EARLY !!
Just several (maybe 5 or less) of the first cars can go up to the top.
See live cameras here
Pikes Peak Cameras
Elevation over 14,000 ft. Walk slowly - breathe deep

If the battery cools below 60F and you lose some regen, your only way to slow down will be to use your brakes
What you have stated here is that if the battery temperature goes below 60 degrees F, then ALL regeneration is instantly GONE. That is utter horse $#&%. At 60 F, you start to get a little bit of limitations on the amount of your regeneration. But there is still quite a bit of significant slowing force down to 50, 40 degrees, etc. So there will still be a good bit of regeneration that should take most of the slowing and not need very much use of the physical brakes.

What you have stated here is that if the battery temperature goes below 60 degrees F, then ALL regeneration is instantly GONE.

I never said that, and you even quoted the relevant portion: "If the battery cools below 60F and you lose SOME regen..." (caps added).
Low regen is not enough to keep the car from gaining speed coming down Pike's Peak. Friction braking will be needed, too. Or I suppose he could downshift :)