Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal on used P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I put a deposit on a 2015 P85D, 34,000 miles, titanium, carbon fiber for $50,200. Seems like a great deal, or should I hold out till spring and think prices will go south of $50K?
Looking for my usual forum friends for direction.
That's an amazing price cause you get the warranty as well. Only thing I may concerned about is the overall condition of the car and it's title. Tesla has been known to sell their used cars that have damage or accidents. So I would recommend doing a carfax and a autocheck report. Not just one but both since the results can vary. Sometimes autocheck will show damage or accidents that carfax doesn't vice versa. As stated the 85 batteries seem to be the best in terms of battery degradation and probably will last the longest. (Tesla's have not been around long enough to really say they all can go 300k+ miles on the same battery. As time goes on and we start seeing more cars like this it will only make their values go up or not go down). I think you should def jump on it, especially if you are able to return it if you get it not as described. The P85D will see less and less available where the P100D and P90D (2016.5+) will continue to have their leases run out which will lead to excess inventory. Unfortunately Tesla solves this by lowering their prices dramatically to move them and hurts the value. The P85D has held it's value better than any other Peformance AWD Model S by a huge amount. The P85D's can have 6 available one day and the next few days all be gone. There was no inventory about a month ago. So I was surprised too see as many lately but I am assuming it's cuz Tesla sends owners emails constantly trying to get you to upgrade and trade in your current Tesla.
Really the difference in speed is not that much especially 0-60mph or even more so 0-30mph which is what most owners love about owning them. They can have another car next to them at the stoplight (porsche, bmw, etc) and destroy them off the line and slow down before you need to worry about getting a speeding ticket. Which any owner of any P85D, P90D, P100D would tell you, it's something that is always enjoyable and satisfying lol. Especially when your car costed $50k and theirs may be brand new and $100k+.

I paid about $10,000 more last year, for pretty much the same car, so from my view its a good deal. I personally think that the Titanium color is the best, because the color is so dynamic, it can appear light brown to black in different lighting. Best of luck with the new car!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Okay, I put a deposit on a 2015 P85D, 34,000 miles, titanium, carbon fiber for $50,200. Seems like a great deal, or should I hold out till spring and think prices will go south of $50K?

Prices will almost surely continue to drop. Cars are depreciating assets.

I think that is a good price if it has everything you want in the color/trim you like. I paid exactly that for my 2015 P85DL 2 weeks ago, but I have 47k on the clock. Have fun!

Gonna go through with it. The photos they sent me were very good quality and the car looks pristine! Car is in Florida, I’m in Connecticut, so planning to ship it. Used Tesla advisor says I need to take delivery in Paramus, NJ vs. Mt. Kisco, NY! Anyone heard of any such policy as that? I picked up a Mini Cooper convertible for my wife in May from a NY dealer, and things went smoothly

Reactions: Zishan
Gonna go through with it. The photos they sent me were very good quality and the car looks pristine! Car is in Florida, I’m in Connecticut, so planning to ship it. Used Tesla advisor says I need to take delivery in Paramus, NJ vs. Mt. Kisco, NY! Anyone heard of any such policy as that? I picked up a Mini Cooper convertible for my wife in May from a NY dealer, and things went smoothly
Has to do something with the cost they are paying to ship. Only reason that would make sense. They probably are making $1,500 or more each car that they are charging $2,000 for delivery.
Why not fly to florida and drive it back? No cost as far as charging, biggest issue is the time it takes to drive and charge. As charging takes much longer than they say it does. And you always want to charge a little longer than what/when it tells you r ready. (To make it to the next charging stop)

Or fly out to pick it up and arrange your own shipping from florida. You could potentially still save money and see it in person before it is shipped.

So if around $50k is an ok price currently for a P85D, how much should a "regular" 85D be worth from Tesla?
I'm following one and the prices have fluctuated wildly over the past couple months.
That's the problem with Tesla's pricing. What he is paying $50k for was $60k two weeks ago. Once they have too many of any model they start dropping the price until it sells every day. They won't stop dropping the price regardless what it may be worth. They just want to move any excess inventory as fast as possible

So if around $50k is an ok price currently for a P85D, how much should a "regular" 85D be worth from Tesla?
I'm following one and the prices have fluctuated wildly over the past couple months.
Honestly if you are buying used you might as well go with a performance model. The price is not much more for a car that costed significantly more when new. Now if you were buying new back when they had all the other options than it would've been better to purchase the cheaper trims as they have depreciated a lot less. As do most cars that are priced similar from other manufacturers

• Informative
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Prices will almost surely continue to drop. Cars are depreciating assets.

I think that is a good price if it has everything you want in the color/trim you like. I paid exactly that for my 2015 P85DL 2 weeks ago, but I have 47k on the clock. Have fun!
Yes, they usually are always going down except exotics. However P85D's were cheaper almost a year ago then they are today. Last Feb they were selling in the mid $40's on ebay etc. This was also when Tesla had over 1,000 used cars for sale. Although I don't think it will happen again especially with Tesla continuing to lower the price of a new S or X. But as time goes on I believe they will hold their value much like a Honda does. Especially as the cost becomes less to repair them which is why I am not completely sold on purchasing their extended warranty. It offers great peace of mind, but having the most expensive parts covered already (Battery and Motors), I think the most common issues should become a lot more affordable to fix in the near future.

Honestly if you are buying used you might as well go with a performance model. The price is not much more for a car that costed significantly more when new. Now if you were buying new back when they had all the other options than it would've been better to purchase the cheaper trims as they have depreciated a lot less. As do most cars that are priced similar from other manufacturers

Tough choice. I do see the value 85 packs have and generally the P models but on the other hand, I am specifically shopping for an S for a smooth and quiet ride compared to a new 3. For that, a P would not help with the sportier suspension.

Another thing to consider, if I'm looking at the usual battery/drivetrain warranty, I'd like to squeeze in as long as possible so for the same $50k I can get a whole year extra if I go for a late 2016 75D compared to a 2015 (P)85D.

Congratulations on the vehicle!

I am about 3 weeks ahead of you, ordered a 2015 P85D on 10/02. This has been the most bizarre car buying experience I have ever been through.

My car has been at the delivery center since Wednesday 10/16. They can't seem to find title for it and have no urgency to ask if it's even been mailed. I am hopeful this will work out.

On another note, I think the one I put money down on has been through CPO before. Some searching of archived listens show my P85D being listed in 2018 as CPO. I pulled a Carfax and indeed, a second owner registered it in 2018. I will be the third owner.

Not sure if this is good or bad...hoping the original CPO on the car was done when Tesla basically rebuilt them. Still researching this "sell it twice" thing.

Tough choice. I do see the value 85 packs have and generally the P models but on the other hand, I am specifically shopping for an S for a smooth and quiet ride compared to a new 3. For that, a P would not help with the sportier suspension.

Another thing to consider, if I'm looking at the usual battery/drivetrain warranty, I'd like to squeeze in as long as possible so for the same $50k I can get a whole year extra if I go for a late 2016 75D compared to a 2015 (P)85D.

The Performance Models mostly have the same suspension as the non-performance models. It's only the P85+ models and a select range of P85D's. From when I was shopping, I'd say maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 had the plus suspension (from what I could tell). And that only applies to P85D's...

So last Friday I put $100 down on a P85D and hear it will be 2-3 weeks before I can take delivery. Today I get a phone call from Ava saying when can you get to Paramus, NJ, your car is ready. WTF?

Four years ago when I bought my P85, I couldn’t wait for it to be ready, now, how did get to New Jersey from Florida so quickly? Go figure. Cannot wait to join the P85D club! Thanks for all the great input.

Reactions: Zishan and cucubits
Looks like someone from Tesla used sales swapped coffee brands this morning. Just in a few mins I saw two weird things.

- One car I was following, had the usual price reduction of $500-$700 every other day or so, but now it jumped up by $100 ?!
- One car popped up with 20k miles only but it's listed with 2 years warranty instead of the usual 4 for these.

I hope they're not changing their used warranty policy.

Warranty isn't determined solely by the mileage, it's also takes the age of the car into consideration.

So a 2015 w/30k miles maybe have 4yr/50k warranty and another 2015 w/30k miles may have 2yr/100k (total) warranty.

Depending on manufacturing date or sales date....something like that. Basically if it's older or newer than 4 years old, I believe.

Looks like someone from Tesla used sales swapped coffee brands this morning. Just in a few mins I saw two weird things.

- One car I was following, had the usual price reduction of $500-$700 every other day or so, but now it jumped up by $100 ?!
- One car popped up with 20k miles only but it's listed with 2 years warranty instead of the usual 4 for these.

I hope they're not changing their used warranty policy.

Warranty isn't determined solely by the mileage, it's also takes the age of the car into consideration.

So a 2015 w/30k miles maybe have 4yr/50k warranty and another 2015 w/30k miles may have 2yr/100k (total) warranty.

Depending on manufacturing date or sales date....something like that. Basically if it's older or newer than 4 years old, I believe.

I see. This is indeed a 2015 model so it can be either way. *sigh*... otherwise it's a very nice looking 85D but I must stick to one with full warranty.