Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal? Possible new Tesla owner here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any help. I’m looking at picking up a private sellers 2021 long range plus model x with 52k miles. It has the extended warranty for another two years or 75k miles. It did have a bump in the back that was fixed at a Tesla body shop, saw the receipts and looked like after labor it was around 10k fix. The seller and I came to a price of $47k. The body is clean and interior is good, just need a good detail job. Tires need to be replaced and the rims have a good deal of rash, so I’ll prob do those at one point.

Wanted to get some advice if this is something worth jumping on?

It would be my biggest auto purchase so far so trying to be diligent. I noticed the side camera was not working but figured it would be something I could get covered under warranty? Anything that you think I should do before signing the deal or is 2 year warranty with body shop receipts sufficient?

Again, appreciate the Help! Thanks 😊 🙏

Tires tend not to have a very long life on the model X and are pretty pricey. Be sure you have considered the cost of new ones. It would also give me pause of why the wheels have a lot of curb rash. Mine at 90,000 miles have essentially none.
Thanks! I’ve been looking at them now, seems like 700-1k for all 4. The owners were a bit older so I think the care of high curbs was basically none ;) Bums me out a bit, but I was looking on Craigslist and found some , and even a couple with brand new tires from people who changed to the 22’s. Want to negotiate but at 47 with warranty around here it’s not that common of price so don’t want to scare them to another buyer.

What explanation did the seller give for why the camera was not working? Does it show damage? If no damage it could easily be waranty work. You may get lucky if you take it in yourself and they diagnose and fix it in a couple of days. Or you may get stuck without a car as they wait for parts.

What explanation did the seller give for why the camera was not working? Does it show damage? If no damage it could easily be waranty work. You may get lucky if you take it in yourself and they diagnose and fix it in a couple of days. Or you may get stuck without a car as they wait for parts.
They said that it just started, he was thinking it was maybe after a car wash. I’m thinking I might roll the dice on that. We’re supposed to meetup Wednesday and he said there are no service appojntments till the following week.

Reactions: zoomer0056
definitely have them fix it before sale. If it was physically damaged or water intrusion, then Tesla wont cover that under warranty and depending on how many of them are out, that repair could range from $600-$1500 to fix. without the cameras then you have no Autopilot so its pretty crucial to get that fixed.

I wouldn't worry about the $10k fix from the rear issue. That seems fairly minimal.

Reactions: mc yogi and Genie
definitely have them fix it before sale. If it was physically damaged or water intrusion, then Tesla wont cover that under warranty and depending on how many of them are out, that repair could range from $600-$1500 to fix. without the cameras then you have no Autopilot so its pretty crucial to get that fixed.

I wouldn't worry about the $10k fix from the rear issue. That seems fairly minimal.
It's a buyers market. Make them go through the hoops.
Thanks! Going to try and do a little negotiating ;)

Tbh I think you can do better but that's just me. 47k for a LR at that many miles can be beaten by a better vehicle how many seats as well? You'll need new tires, rims and camera is shot plus had rear dmg. Can you pony up more funds for a used refresh 22 for less miles? if you can spend 55-60 I say get the new vehicle which will come with the manufacturer warranty up to 2026 or 50k miles. OR