Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Idea ? Should Tesla 3 have the option to choose between TACC and CC ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the conditions are not good enough, or that cameras or radar is dirty, do you think an option on the screen to toggle TACC and dumb cruise control would be a good idea.

I think that for certain conditions like in winter over here, this might enable us to still use a cruise control when the weather is not good.

Thoughts ?

When the conditions are not good enough, or that cameras or radar is dirty, do you think an option on the screen to toggle TACC and dumb cruise control would be a good idea.

I think that for certain conditions like in winter over here, this might enable us to still use a cruise control when the weather is not good.

Thoughts ?
Cruise control in bad weather is dangerous. Every owners manual of every vehicle states that you do not use cruise control in bad weather.

I would like the option to fall back to old school cruise control, even sending it in as a feature request,, but i’m fine with the way Tesla has implemented it.

I think they don’t allow it to avoid confusion as to which mode you are in.

On my parents’ Camry, you can switch back and forth. You have to select which mode you want when you turn on the cruise control system. You are shown a VERY small icon on the dash indicating you are in “radar cruise control” mode, not standard cruise control. The old mode is activated by a long press on the cruise control power switch instead of a quick press. It would be very easy to get confused which mode you are in or accidentally activate old school instead of active cruise control.

Yes. Lots of people have asked for it. Chevrolet updated the Volt to have dumb cruise fallback because ACC wouldn't always work.

It's a complete no-brainer to anyone who deals with weather transitions, but Tesla is a Californian company with a CEO who has insisted for several years that Tesla will have Level 4 autonomy soon.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
all right bad explanation I guess, the situation I thought about was mostly when the car is all dirty and you have a dried road, the TACC will not work because the sensor are masked. Then the option of being able to use the dumb CC might be a good idea. I do agree that this might be confusing, but I'm sure that the Tesla folks are bright enough to come up with a clever idea to make this clear.

Oh btw I know that using a CC in conditions other than dried pavement is not a good idea and frankly pretty dangerous.

Cruise control in bad weather is dangerous. Every owners manual of every vehicle states that you do not use cruise control in bad weather.

I take it you lack experience driving when there's wet snow falling, but the pavement is just wet like there's light to moderate rain, or even dried by the traffic, and you'd like to set cruise to the 45mph limit so that rather than having to maintain speed on undulating hills, you can give more attention to watching out for oblivious asshats speeding up behind you.

And maybe you're not used to driving out of a snowstorm onto dry pavement because your direction of travel is often the direction the weather comes from.

I understand why the OP wants dumb cruise, but I suspect that the Californians who make the car don't see why it's necessary if you have TACC.

Yup, I’d very much like plain old maintain-set-speed cruise control as an option to my EAP/FSD software. TACC, wonderful though it is, it does have some issues from time to time, especially new ones since firmware 8.5 regarding varying distances/speeds that I’ve not had before. A steady-state CC would be a terrific option. Also with 8.5, my vehicle with TACC has had its extremely rude unintended hard braking return multiple times. Now, I just turn it off or not use it to begin with more commonly. Sure wish I had that old CC for that seemingly insurmountable problem.

Forget poor conditions or dirty cameras. I'd ditch TACC altogether for basic cruise control if I could do so without losing AP. I freaking hate (not exaggerating) TACC in lots of everyday scenarios...
  • Every time an oncoming car turns left at an upcoming intersection less than 100 yards in front from me and my car suddenly slows way down (like an idiot) because it perceives a car in its lane for a split second.
  • Every time a car driving in front of me is turning into a left/right turn lane, and TACC slows way down (like an idiot) because TACC perceives the car as blocking my lane way longer than it actually is.
  • Every time I'm driving down a street with a dashed line down the middle and a parked car(s) on the side of the road, and TACC refuses to keep going (like an idiot) because it interprets the parked car as blocking the lane, even though there's plenty of room to get by it. (This is multiple streets I drive down every day where I always used c.c. in my previous car but can't in my Tesla.)
Even if having basic cruise control meant forfeiting TACC altogether and never having the option of using it by itself (i.e., when not using Autopilot/Autosteer), I'd take that trade-off in a heartbeat. All of the above examples are not only annoying to both me (the driver) and my passengers, they are also occasionally unsafe when they cause unusual/unnatural/unexpected deceleration if there's a car behind me.

I just had a pre-AP Model S loaner for a few days when my Model 3 was in the shop. I missed having AP for highway driving, but almost everywhere else it was so nice to be rid of TACC.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the traction control in the Tesla is pretty awesome. I'm assuming that the reason that you want to disable TACC is to remove the uncommanded slow downs. But don't forget that the TACC feature itself can save you from running into cars you can't see.

The OP is particularly posting about cases where you end up with crap on the sensor so the car disables TACC, but the driving conditions that you're currently in are such that it'd be fine to use. You're then faced by a choice of pulling off the highway (and on a restricted access highway the exit/entrance ramps and access roads usually suck) to clean off the sensor, or driving without cruise control.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The OP is particularly posting about cases where you end up with crap on the sensor so the car disables TACC, but the driving conditions that you're currently in are such that it'd be fine to use. You're then faced by a choice of pulling off the highway (and on a restricted access highway the exit/entrance ramps and access roads usually suck) to clean off the sensor, or driving without cruise control.
I had this exact situation last Wednesday. On my drive home, a blizzard was starting and in the first few miles of driving, the front end was caked with slushy snow. I drove a few miles and the roads were dry and there was no snow...but TACC was disabled for the rest of my commute. The drive wasn't long enough for me to pull over and clean off the front of the car but I probably would've tried it if I'd been on a longer road trip. I usually use TACC or AP about 99% of the time and actually got a cramp in my foot having to use the accelerator for a whopping 17 miles.

We know that it is possible to have standard CC as they do that for those who don't by AP and did it for AP2 cars when they first came out, before TACC was released on that hardware. I think they could add it but they should definitely warn the user or prompt them to confirm so they know CC is functioning differently than TACC.

Last edited:
How often does TACC fail to turn on?

In my 3 years of experience with AP1 I can't remember ever having that issue. With my 6+ months of experience with AP2.5 I haven't had that issue.

What I would like is the ability to have more control over the behavior of TACC.

Things like

Slow down for Corners?
Hit the brakes for Stopped objects?
Slow down if someone appears like they "might" get into my lane?

Personally I'd set all those to no as when I use TACC I want something smarter than CC, but I don't want it to try to be smarter than it really needs to be.

If I could set those things to no I could remove a lot of things I don't like about TACC.

Forget poor conditions or dirty cameras. I'd ditch TACC altogether for basic cruise control if I could do so without losing AP. I freaking hate (not exaggerating) TACC in lots of everyday scenarios...
  • Every time an oncoming car turns left at an upcoming intersection less than 100 yards in front from me and my car suddenly slows way down (like an idiot) because it perceives a car in its lane for a split second.
  • Every time a car driving in front of me is turning into a left/right turn lane, and TACC slows way down (like an idiot) because TACC perceives the car as blocking my lane way longer than it actually is.
  • Every time I'm driving down a street with a dashed line down the middle and a parked car(s) on the side of the road, and TACC refuses to keep going (like an idiot) because it interprets the parked car as blocking the lane, even though there's plenty of room to get by it. (This is multiple streets I drive down every day where I always used c.c. in my previous car but can't in my Tesla.)
So the only times TACC is a problem for you is when you are using TACC in places you are explicitly not supposed to use it (like city streets with turn lanes, intersections, and parked cars)

Gotcha.