Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good luck trying to schedule service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can only do this from the app on your phone now. will ask you for "preferred address" for service center and then nothing happens. even if you type in exact address.

Just another example of the CRAP service that will continue to get worse as the user base expands. Hopefully Tesla gets picked up in bankruptcy. the only thing they got going for them is the supercharger network

For what it’s worth, I just tried to schedule a hypothetical appointment for a 12v battery replacement in the app. It took less than a minute to get to the confirmation screen with the first available appointment (dec 26) at my local service center.

Total “CRAP” service, indeed. A MINUTE! Think of how many ways I could have better used those 60 seconds!

Reactions: SO16 and X Fan
Works just fine for me too. Had one scheduled and I fixed the thing myself so I canceled and made another appointment. After I put the address the app instantly showed a calendar with the first possible date (5 days from now).

To be honest I like this approach with app scheduling and mobile service. Saves me time.

I Have had good luck scheduling service,. First, I made visits to SCs far from town and found one I liked. Then, when I needed service, I had a contact and no problem getting an appt.

It takes more effort, but I find it is worth it. As the SA said to me, "Don't Worry, we will take good care of your baby"

And they did...

My annoyance with the app is they went from one extreme to the other. I used to only be able to schedule a service center appt, and just had to request mobile service in the notes and hope someone read them (50/50). Now I can’t schedule anything BUT mobile service even when the mobile service guy told me it had to be done at the SC. So I scheduled my last appt as mobile, put what I needed in the notes and someone from Tesla contacted me to switch my appointment to the service center. Guess it worked in the end, but seemed like extra effort that wasn’t needed if I could have just picked an SC to begin with.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Works fine for me also. Wish it wasn’t three weeks out but that’s Tesla selling too many 3’s I assume.

They use the same address algorithm many web apps use where you only need to enter your street number and it pulls up the addresses that match yours. Much better than having to type in complicated street names in some housing developments. Kudos to the developers for using that library!

As for mobile no idea if I’ve never asked for a mobile item or what but never been offered a mobile appt in NoVA.

I do wish they didn’t use text messages for all communications but at least they do let you talk to people now once at the Service Center and check in.

Works fine for me also. Wish it wasn’t three weeks out but that’s Tesla selling too many 3’s I assume.

They use the same address algorithm many web apps use where you only need to enter your street number and it pulls up the addresses that match yours. Much better than having to type in complicated street names in some housing developments. Kudos to the developers for using that library!

As for mobile no idea if I’ve never asked for a mobile item or what but never been offered a mobile appt in NoVA.

I do wish they didn’t use text messages for all communications but at least they do let you talk to people now once at the Service Center and check in.
I wonder if Tesla is still building more SCs? I know they stated they were moving away from showrooms, but your comment about them 'selling too many 3's' got me thinking how bad things could get once the Model Y goes on sale.

I wonder if Tesla is still building more SCs? I know they stated they were moving away from showrooms, but your comment about them 'selling too many 3's' got me thinking how bad things could get once the Model Y goes on sale.
I know Elon mentioned (at one point, no idea how that worked out with the reversal and all) of they were building fewer showrooms and more service centers. Maybe we need a building tracker like we have a supercharger tracker? :D

I Have had good luck scheduling service,. First, I made visits to SCs far from town and found one I liked. Then, when I needed service, I had a contact and no problem getting an appt.

It takes more effort, but I find it is worth it. As the SA said to me, "Don't Worry, we will take good care of your baby"

And they did...
God, what I wouldn't give to have this experience you've described from choice of location and received customer service and care. Wow. Polar opposite to what we have to deal with here in Colorado and several surrounding states.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Service is a roll of the dice. A new S/C opened near me - a little farther away than my usual one but since service was always bad I switched and the new one is a night and day difference. If there is another SC near you (even a little less near) try switching. I'm happy with the new one, I couldn't stand how lazy the old one was. It's like the standard dealership experience - there's good and there is awful - unfortunately unlike dealers there aren't many.

Don't Panic! Elon will have this fixed... soon?

Read his words below (still posted on their site)... then close your eyes really hard (followed by a quick slam of your head on the table)... and everything will be fine.

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013
  • Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
  • $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty
  • Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error

Making Service Better Than Invisible

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature.

Valet Service

Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.​

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr
The App defaults to Mobile vs Service Center based on the category you choose.
I didn't test every category but for me recently, every category defaulted to Service Center except "Other" would go to Mobile.
But recently as it's got very cold and snowy, other now defaults to Service Center as well.

I think this is why it asks your Preferred Service Center and home address first and then based on categories and season it will decide the default type of appointment. So far, so good for me.

Service is a roll of the dice. A new S/C opened near me - a little farther away than my usual one but since service was always bad I switched and the new one is a night and day difference. If there is another SC near you (even a little less near) try switching. I'm happy with the new one, I couldn't stand how lazy the old one was. It's like the standard dealership experience - there's good and there is awful - unfortunately unlike dealers there aren't many.

I fully plan to switch to the new one when it's complete because 1) it's closer so the drive time will be less and 2) it quite literally cannot be any worse than the current two options we have. People say that those complaining about Tesla just have unreal expectations and I can't disagree with this statement any more from a first-hand experience. I tend to have low expectations of everything in life which allows me to enjoy just about every experience I've ever had. Tesla customer service is the first time that even that expectation hasn't been met with every interaction. The mention that they were pulling employees from the other two to staff and/or train employees for the new location I was planning to switch to just doesn't bode well for it being any better. I will certainly approach my initial experience with them with an open mind and friendliness, professionalism and patience which I always seem to do but I don't have super high expectations.

Anything is better though.

By traveling to a good SC, you reward the good and punish the bad.

Remember that for the pre model 3 time, many service experiences were very good for some.
For some of us we don't have several within a reasonable distance to choose from. I've got about a 3.5-4-hour drive round-trip to the cosest service center. The second closest adds roughly an hour to that total drive time. After that I've got to drive 2 to 3 states away and things have been bad enough that I've considered it but it creates a whole new set of problems plus I haven't heard glowing enough reviews to think this will be the answer to all of my problems even if I set aside several days to make this pilgrimage.