Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Review of Model S on Engadget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Colorado's got plenty of sun and in four+ months I've never had a single issue with reflections from the 17" screen. It's perfectly readable in all lighting and it's oriented so it doesn't reflect light sources outside the car back to your eyes.

Well that's what I thought, since I've been in the forum for a while now and this was the first time I heard about this...
Quick question @Zextraterrestrial, joefee, stevezzzz, Francis Lau, brianman : did you guys opt for the panoramic roof?

Well that's what I thought, since I've been in the forum for a while now and this was the first time I heard about this...
Quick question @Zextraterrestrial, joefee, stevezzzz, Francis Lau, brianman : did you guys opt for the panoramic roof?
Yes, I have the pano roof. It's worth noting that I live in mostly-sunless-this-year Seattle area though.

The Tesla Model S is by no means perfect. It is lacking some of the high tech features you would expect in a car in it's price range, such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot information system, etc. It is incredible on so many other levels, that I am willing to give up those types of things, and be extremely happy! My original point was that it is nice (and beneficial) to see a generally favorable review (even if it is not perfectly written), in non-automotive media. This type of thing just helps build awareness among non-enthuisiasts and non-early adopters.

It is lacking some of the high tech features you would expect in a car in it's price range, such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot information system, etc..

Funny, on my Prius, I for some reason paid like $3000 extra for a tech package with all of these features. Do you know how many times I use them in a given month? 0.0000 times, that's how much.

Adaptive cruise control is annoying.
Lane departure warning is useless unless you are drunk, narcoleptic, or 90 years old.
blind spot info? you got me there... let me go cancel my Model S order. because a quick turn of the neck to check the blind spot myself? that's just too much work... :rolleyes:

Funny, on my Prius, I for some reason paid like $3000 extra for a tech package with all of these features. Do you know how many times I use them in a given month? 0.0000 times, that's how much.

Adaptive cruise control is annoying.
Lane departure warning is useless unless you are drunk, narcoleptic, or 90 years old.
blind spot info? you got me there... let me go cancel my Model S order. because a quick turn of the neck to check the blind spot myself? that's just too much work... :rolleyes:

That's why it's good if these types of things are options. Clearly you wouldn't spring for the extras, but those who prefer them could. Everybody wins. (Back when I was learning to drive, things like Cruise Control, Traction Control, ABS, TPMS and so forth were either non-existent or rare, and one could argue that those things, now very common, are also useless and annoying to the "experienced" driver).

Disagree...I had 3 Lexus vehicles between 2004-2012...the interior of the Model S is every bit as good imo.
3.9 seconds for the Model S ?? Which model?? Ultra-perf-edition? The P85 according to Tesla is 4.4 seconds just as the author states, while the "regular" 85 is 5.6
Both of which are impressive figures for a car that size though.

And about his "not at the level of BMW and Mercedes". He's absolutely right, the Model S is by no means at the level of BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus and the like!
It is better when it comes to the driving experience and the nominal (not the usable) cargo volume. But on any other level it is still no match for other premium sedans.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree...I think the deficiency with this review is that it equally weights the nits (which are minor in nature) with with the positives (which are major in nature)...

It's not a bad review, but it's not a good one either. Cars should be reviewed by people that know cars, not gadgets.

I have a Pano roof and also have the car here in SoCal. In close to 13,000 miles over five months I have never once been bothered by glare.

I think that it's geometrically impossible for light that comes through the sunroof to reflect into your eyes. It just isn't angled enough. In five months of driving, it happened to me once for a second or so, as the sun shone low through (if I recall correctly) the driver's side rear door window, over my shoulder onto the screen. Anyway, not a big deal for me... it's much more common for me to be driving straight into the setting sun.

I guess I'm still waiting for one of these "mixed" reviews to be updated by the author, noting what seemingly all EV drivers discover. Something like:
When I began this review of the Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/Cadillac it was just after reviewing the Tesla Model S. I forgot how crappy any ICE feels to drive after that experience so I'll won't bother with the description of how "last century" all other vehicles drive and handle compared to a Model S and get on to the important stuff like interior appointments and blind spot monitoring.

Might be a long wait.