Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye all; Good riddance Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been an interesting ride, from loving the car at first, to despising what the company has become. The Tesla was my worst car owndership experience in 40+ years of car ownership. From Rivetgate (the old-times will remember that) in winter 2015/16, disabling the car for 4 months, waiting for parts, to 2022, waiting for a replacement air shock for 6 months, again disabling the car.

When I was in the finance office at the BMW dealer, he asked me if I was excited to be getting a new car. I said I was more excited to be done with Tesla. He said it's amazing how many times he's heard that before. :) Would I ever buy another Tesla? A resounding NO, unless the madman in charge is replaced with someone who cares about the customer experience, after the sale.

Bye all.
My big issue with Tesla is “ betrayal “ I’m not rich, but work/saved like crazy to finally afford to buy my dream car 2022 Tesla MYP, about a year ago; Only to see the prices/value drop so insane.
All because Musk needed money for Twitter, Rockets, Qualified Tax credits and other personal stuff.
Prices and value are forever uncertain. Sad…

Have you ever purchased a non-tesla? Every dealer makes you sit with the "finance office" even if you pay cash or have your own financing. It's where they try to rake you over the coals and sell you all the $h!t nobody wants or needs. They are the ones that sign the car over to you. It's one of the reasons Tesla's sales motion is the best in the business.
The only good thing about the process is finance can usually tell when a buyer isn't falling for their nonsense, and speed along with the process. At least that's been my experience. If you don't know what you're doing, they will certainly take advantage at any legacy auto dealer. I think it's amusing they ask you to sign off that you are declining to be ripped off for extras, though it appears some of that is actually due to Fed/state regulations...

Reactions: cwerdna
My big issue with Tesla is “ betrayal “ I’m not rich, but work/saved like crazy to finally afford to buy my dream car 2022 Tesla MYP, about a year ago; Only to see the prices/value drop so insane.
All because Musk needed money for Twitter, Rockets, Qualified Tax credits and other personal stuff.
Prices and value are forever uncertain. Sad…
Agree I purchased MYP 2021 for $57k after 6 months sold it for $47k

Flip side i did that because I found a 2021 refresh with FSD and 4k miles for $70k

Yes lost on MYP made up for it

Best move I made hated the MYP hard suspension

I love the MSLR red white and walnut decor with full FSD

Best car so far love it

Or, you know, because the market said Tesla's prices were batshit crazy and people stopped buying cars at the volume Tesla needs to sell them to remain a solvent entity.

Or, you know, because the market said Tesla's prices were batshit crazy and people stopped buying cars at the volume Tesla needs to sell them to remain a solvent entity.
Yup.

Even Elon admitted they were embarrassingly high.

Reactions: jrr6415sun
It's been an interesting ride, from loving the car at first, to despising what the company has become. The Tesla was my worst car owndership experience in 40+ years of car ownership. From Rivetgate (the old-times will remember that) in winter 2015/16, disabling the car for 4 months, waiting for parts, to 2022, waiting for a replacement air shock for 6 months, again disabling the car.

When I was in the finance office at the BMW dealer, he asked me if I was excited to be getting a new car. I said I was more excited to be done with Tesla. He said it's amazing how many times he's heard that before. :) Would I ever buy another Tesla? A resounding NO, unless the madman in charge is replaced with someone who cares about the customer experience, after the sale.

Bye all.
Good luck, you'll be missed. I wouldn't mind trying something new after 10 years of Tesla's, but still waiting for a competitive car. Maybe the e-Tron GT if they increase the range. But so far my 2021 Refresh has been perfect, so we'll see in a year or so.

Reactions: saj070

Bye all.
I am so with you on this one. Thanks for being with us for so long. Keep us posted on your new ride and service. Some of us might join you soon.

Reactions: cwerdna
For now my Tesla is the best car out there hands down! I am excited for more competition tho!
Either Tesla is a prestige name brand of quality high end value, performance automobiles or not!
Look at Porsche for example; Always have been a prestigious name brand, that does not lower prices because they need money and are unstable; Not everyone can afford a Porsche, nor will they ever lower their standards, quality & performance; Be it combustion or electric.
Tesla now is cheaper then a Toyota, Honda and Nissan 😲🤦🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Either Tesla is a prestige name brand of quality high end value, performance automobiles or not!...
Look at Porsche for example; Always have been a prestigious name brand, that does not lower prices because they need money and are unstable; Not everyone can afford a Porsche, nor will they ever lower their standards, quality & performance; Be it combustion or electric.
Tesla now is cheaper then a Toyota, Honda and Nissan 😲🤦🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

Tesla is not trying to deliver quality high end cars, they're trying to deliver mass-market cars.

The Tesla mission is "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass-market electric cars to market as soon as possible."

Just to make sure i'm reading this right you kept the worst car you've owned in 40 years for 8 years? Curious to see how you feel about the BMW long term.
Worst service, not worst car?? The problem with Tesla is if something does goes wrong (especially out of warranty) and you have a bad experience with Service Center (some Service Centers and mobile are great), it can go south very quickly.

Tesla service suffers schedule backups from high volume (cars sit for 3 days before they look at them), parts that are unavailable (or take weeks to get), high staff turnover (leading to poor root cause analysis), a proclivity to replace parts wholesale until something works (on the customer's dime), poor quality assurance before returning cars (problems left unresolved or more damage caused), and lack of communication / escalation path throughout. I think it's only that bad in a fraction of cases, but enough to be extremely negative experience when it does. That being said, I've experienced about 90% great service, and so far it's working for me given mobile solves most things.

Tesla is not trying to deliver quality high end cars, they're trying to deliver mass-market cars.

The Tesla mission is "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass-market electric cars to market as soon as possible."
I clearly see that now;🤦🏻.. After ripping people off for a good three years; We like dummies fell for the Musk deception & greed 💰 No chance ever buying another Tesla for sure!

HAHAHA ... and the award goes to ... 👍 :D
And it’s related cousin, “Don’t let the door…” 🤣

More seriously, I feel the OPs pain with Tesla (and Elon’s antics the past few years)…. I am down to one Tesla, from three. Really enjoying the Rivian!

70240893242__A1142E02-FA23-4B3A-8DAC-7AA82D84A27D.jpeg

Bunches of cars between my wife and me since 2013. Sooooo little time dealing with service. It seems most of the cars are good; some are not. If you get a bad one, you are screwed.

I really really really dread when it comes time to replace my or my wife's car with a new one. Sure, the excitement is there because they constantly up their game and the new one is soooo much better than the previous car. On the flip side, it means I have to interface with Tesla business and they still have the SilVal software company mindset where customers are expendable/consumable and basically just a nuisance. It's sad but true and likely not going to change anytime soon given the company's continued growth.

I look at it as 98% love and 2% pain. If I ever get a car that fights back I know I need to bomerang that puppy back to Tesla ASAP as service is simply not an option.

Sorry to loose someone but I get it. I also remember all those times in the BMW "finance" (scam) office having to sit across from someone I would literally pay to avoid followed up by having to hit the dealership several times a year for included service. I put 100k on my last S and spent 5% of the time dealing with the car in comparison to the BMWs. I know myself and my grass is greener problem which is why I dissect the ownership experiences before considering a switch. As crappy as Tesla management is at being human beings, the overall equation still works for me (and they know it which is why they continue to be crappy human beings).

shoutout to jebinc
Customer taking 9R for immediate departure
It sounds like money is no issue with your purchase of the S model.
I’m happy for you, I know it’s an exceptional fun car and it won’t matter to you if Musk dropped the price in half. lol

And it’s related cousin, “Don’t let the door…” 🤣

More seriously, I feel the OPs pain with Tesla (and Elon’s antics the past few years)…. I down to one Tesla, from three. Really enjoying the Rivian!

View attachment 936283
Truth spoken 👍🏻 Musk has the power and wealth to drop the Tesla prices significantly.. hooray now everyone can drive a Tesla; I live in So Cal and see more white model 3 Teslas then Toyotas and Hondas. LOL .. We who paid top dollar are making it possible for everyone. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻

Reactions: jebinc
All the i3, i8, and futre i5... projects get killed and replaced by converting ICE models into EV,
.. and they do that by literally ripping the engine out of the bay, and leaving it unfinished. Even the hood struts are missing to discourage anyone from looking inside.

This comment BTW comes from a huge ( altho former) BMW fan who always thought the phrase " Ultimate Driving Machine" was a brilliant marketing tool

Last edited:
Just to make sure i'm reading this right you kept the worst car you've owned in 40 years for 8 years? Curious to see how you feel about the BMW long term.
Worst service, not worst car??

SoCal Buzz is correct. When the car was running, I had no complaints. OK, that's not true. I had some complaints about firmware updates making functionality worse (in an AP1 car). But the bulk of my problem was service-related, many months of downtime waiting for parts, and roadside assistance leaving me stranded once.

The other reason I kept it as long as I did is I wanted another EV (and an EV with at least a 2 year track record), and until now, there was nothing that met my needs. I looked at the Lucid - a beautiful car, but I was unwilling to go with (another) new company with limited production, a paucity of service centers, and who knows if they'll survive. I test drove an EQS last year - too big and MB reliability ratings have been near the bottom in recent years.

It's the end of day 2 with the BMW and so far, I love it. Great ride, very quiet, yada yada. At first I was somewhat overwhelmed by the UI. So many configurable settings, from the IC layout and info, to the UI screen, to the heads up display, regen settings, driving settings, media settings, etc. Imagine someone putting Excel in front of you for the first time and telling you, "build a spreadsheet..." :) The manual isn't great, despite its 300+ pages (which I started reading online several weeks ago), however, after watching a bunch of youtube videos and getting some questions answered by the SA and guys on the BMW forum, I felt much more comfortable with it all today.

And I haven't plugged it in to charge yet. There's no vampire drain! (yes, it is connected via cellular) and there's an app.

Status
Not open for further replies.