Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Federal $7,500 tax credit - no way it survives Trump/Senate/House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone just take a deep breath and remember the President does not pass laws-Congress does.

If you want to make the same argument because you believe Congress will make changes go ahead but Trump will have trouble convincing Congress to do anything he wants if they don't already agree.
Have you paid attention to who is in Congress these days ? Or are you calling Cruz the moderating influence ?

EDIT - By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong in the US with any corporation vying for government funds. Nearly all the major players court both sides of the aisle, the WH, and State governments to get what they can for their tax dollars.

It IS wrong for foreign corporations to lobby our elected officials. That should be a life in prison without parole offense. Sound harsh? In China they execute them, and fairly quickly.

Given that the new government won't take office until 2017 and they are unlikely to be able to pass anything that takes affect for the year 2017, they are likely only able to change 2018 onwards.

CARB is still a force and maybe the biggest force and not subject to national politics. As a result, GM, Ford, and others might not like the removal of the $7,500 tax credit while CARB is still mandating ZEVs. Therefore, the ideal situation for Tesla is for the alternative fuels tax credit to be curtailed in 2018/2019 just as Tesla hits the sunset period anyways.

We will see how it plays out.

Wrong, you are looking at total vehicles manufactured worldwide. The 200k mark is for only US vehicles. It is still looking like Q4 2017 or Q1 2018 when they hit that 200k number. There are several threads on this topic.

Ah, well, oops, sorry about that.:oops: (I did wonder why it was not coming up in the forums as a push to buy soon... now I know)

And after all the time I spent digging up the wrong numbers (all 2-3 minutes of it).:D

Though even at Q4 2017 / Q1 2018 I suspect it is going away too quickly on it's own for it to be much of a target. (at least in terms of Tesla, EV in general might still be a target). And I still think they will be pretty pre-occupied with other issues to jump on it... though, to be fair, I thought there was no way Trump would even win the primary, so its probably not worth listening to me very much.

An elimination of the tax credit will end up hurting other car makers too, perhaps even more than Tesla. Tesla was starting to get close to the limit, much closer than others. The California EV mandate is still in place, so car makers have to start increasing EV sales in the state. If the federal tax credit goes away, the car makers will still have to sell more cars. It means that they will then have to take an even greater loss on the EV's they sell.

RT

Reactions: bhzmark
My crystal ball says that things like EV credits and gas mileage rules are not long for this world. They'll be collateral damage as the EPA and everything else associated with the environmental movement is gutted.

Trump can't kill the EV tax credit, but he can definitely repeal the EPA carbon pollution standards with an executive order. He can undo all of Obama's executive orders on day 1, actually.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Members of Generation Wuss should be more concerned with the over/under on the number of days (I'd give it under 100) until HIllary separates (officially) and divorces Bill. Now that her lifetime work -- to achieve her political dream -- is quashed, there is zero reason to continue the facade of a family(?) with Bill and Chelsea.

Millennial

Regarding tax incentives and impacts on Tesla... there will be ZERO impact. When the alternative (Tesla) is - over time - proven to be better than the status quo (ICE), the elasticity of demand can withstand the removal of artificial incentives. In order for ICE to continue, you'll definitely need to see increased government intervention to promote this relic.

"They're already extinct, they just don't know it." - The Time Machine

Have you paid attention to who is in Congress these days ? Or are you calling Cruz the moderating influence ?

Have you paid attention to the fact the Republicans had control of Congress even before this election? IF this was that important to them they would have made changes before now.

And who said anything about Cruz? Anyone can list multiple examples of what they consider extremes on both sides of the aisle.

I seriously doubt the future Republican President, Republican Senate and Republican House will work as one united block. It's far more likely that Trump and Congress battle almost as much as happens today. Trump will have to work very hard to get enough votes to get anything he wants passed.

Have you paid attention to the fact the Republicans had control of Congress even before this election? IF this was that important to them they would have made changes before now.

And who said anything about Cruz? Anyone can list multiple examples of what they consider extremes on both sides of the aisle.

I seriously doubt the future Republican President, Republican Senate and Republican House will work as one united block. It's far more likely that Trump and Congress battle almost as much as happens today. Trump will have to work very hard to get enough votes to get anything he wants passed.
You are forgetting Obama had veto powers, so the Republicans would not waste their efforts on something like this. However, with Trump in office, if the Republicans passed a law to repeal the tax credit, the chances of Trump vetoing is approximately zero.

That's what I thought. He didn't allow $2 gas the market did. These are just your political opinions not fact.

What moves did our President enact (not talk) that restricted oil imports? What moves did he strive to enact to make sure the oil burned would increase domestic oil Federal Income, and American Jobs, not OPEC Income and Foreign Jobs? Burning domestic oil instead of import oil is to the benefit of the American people, and the higher prices of the domestic product would reduce consumption.

Yes, they are political opinions, but based on actions and their effects, not just marketing campaigns.

Thinking there is a Green side of the aisle and a Dirty side just isn't borne out by history of actions, only by the war of words.

You are forgetting Obama had veto powers, so the Republicans would not waste their efforts on something like this. However, with Trump in office, if the Republicans passed a law to repeal the tax credit, the chances of Trump vetoing is approximately zero.

Didn't forget that. They have passed bills in the past that they knew would get vetoed. The Republican House has passed bills they knew would not get passed by the Republican Senate as well. As I said, if it were THAT important they would have made it known by now. I think there are far more important things they will focus on for the next 2 years (yes I mean 2 years) than this tax credit that is already scheduled to phase out over time.

What moves did our President enact (not talk) that restricted oil imports? What moves did he strive to enact to make sure the oil burned would increase domestic oil Federal Income, and American Jobs, not OPEC Income and Foreign Jobs? Burning domestic oil instead of import oil is to the benefit of the American people, and the higher prices of the domestic product would reduce consumption.

Yes, they are political opinions, but based on actions and their effects, not just marketing campaigns.

Thinking there is a Green side of the aisle and a Dirty side just isn't borne out by history of actions, only by the war of words.

US oil production under Obama:

150128144359-presidents-oil-production-780x439.jpg

Energy Information Administration Raises Forecast for 2017 U.S. Oil Production
U.S. government forecasters anticipate U.S. oil production will fall more slowly than expected, led by a ramp-up in drilling in west Texas.

Sorry, but it was the Republicans who put the tax credit for EV's into play.
Liberals like H2 Fuel Cells more. They think H2 is made by using 2 "D" cells, a beaker and a test tube.

I blame the schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.