Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye M2 coupe, hello Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have. I used to have an E90 2011 M3 competition, and my MYP would murder it. I do still think the M cars have the edge in looks (latest M3 and M4 aside), but performance and fun (even lacking the piped in BMW engine noise) will quickly kill any doubts. Welcome to the future...

Reactions: jhs1210
I have had lots of enthusiast type cars over the years... 6 BMW's, 2 Minis, a GTI, an WRX (current DD, 2018 silver with a 6 speed), etc. and I am noticing lots of people going from those types of cars to Model 3s, especially long ranges and performances. I am stoked to be making the switch and have loved rowing the gears over the years but it's time for a change. The Tesla feels just right -- almost like everything I had up until this point made me ready for it.

Reactions: c00sebookpro
Used to have a M235 (the coupe with 6 inline turbo, not the newest joke sedan). It was fun, but got old for me, stoped enjoying ICE vehicles after starting to drive electric/PHEVs. I drove a BMW i3 for a while which is much more fun as a daily driver and currently drive a Q5 PHEVs, a lot more comfortable as a daily driver and not that far in terms of performance and even cost (after the rebate).

Now waiting for the Model 3 LR next month, a much better tradeoff, you can enjoy it as a daily driver and you can make it faster than an M2.

Reactions: rlich87
Sold my mk3 TTRS last week and the same - waiting on my LR arriving next month. It wont be as good but much cheaper to buy and run and adequate enough now that I'm getting older and the roads are policed to the point where you cant push the RS anyway.

jealous of yall in this thread , everyone seems to have had some pretty sick cars prior to their M3 , im going from a 2014 equinox to a M3LR ... previous vehicles i have owned are a 2004 pontiac grand prix, 98' ford taurus station wagon, 94 cadillac deville ( got it like 2010 and it was a POS ) ... i was BLOWN away during my very quick test drive of a SR+... 15 mins or so with no highway and that is all the experience i've had with the tesla so far... can't wait to get my dang car

Reactions: pkitch
jealous of yall in this thread , everyone seems to have had some pretty sick cars prior to their M3 , im going from a 2014 equinox to a M3LR ... previous vehicles i have owned are a 2004 pontiac grand prix, 98' ford taurus station wagon, 94 cadillac deville ( got it like 2010 and it was a POS ) ... i was BLOWN away during my very quick test drive of a SR+... 15 mins or so with no highway and that is all the experience i've had with the tesla so far... can't wait to get my dang car
I see you are sticking to your tradition... Buying only American made cars! Enjoy your new Model 3!

Reactions: sbizzle
You are going to feel like you have transcended into a different dimension.

You are going to feel like you have transcended into a different dimension.
i know.. the anticipation is killing me lol... from what i have gathered from these forums so far is that some 7/22 orders have gotten vins which means i ( 7/29 order ) should be hopefully and not to curse anything about 2 weeks from a VIN.. my date has been 9-11 to 9-30 since getting date no budge

I have had lots of enthusiast type cars over the years... 6 BMW's, 2 Minis, a GTI, an WRX (current DD, 2018 silver with a 6 speed), etc. and I am noticing lots of people going from those types of cars to Model 3s, especially long ranges and performances. I am stoked to be making the switch and have loved rowing the gears over the years but it's time for a change. The Tesla feels just right -- almost like everything I had up until this point made me ready for it.
Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission, but the Tesla takes all the best things about a stick and makes them better. Never in the wrong gear, never miss an up/down shift, no riding the clutch in traffic or on hill starts, but instant responsiveness to the accelerator in a way that just becomes telepathic. Like riding a sport bike but way safer, and you can take the whole family plus luggage. You're going to love it.

Reactions: mikeskuro
sold my m240 3l straight 6 turbo soft top early july as the price has gone mad, summer. Was as as close to the M2 with the roof down.
New 3LR delivery date is penned as 17th Sept.
My preferences are 2 doors, softtop even 2 seater had 5 z4s but stopped 5 years ago so m240 was as close. I did look at the i3 back then but simply did not check any box.
The m240 has rear seats but possibly less leg room in the front but bit more practical. Its not as low as the z4 to get out, must be getting old.
I did look at the m2 but its a bit hard going like a boxter noisy after a time. the m240 is a bit less in your face bit of a dark horse small light car with a massive engine, when the m240 came out it matched it not on track but on the street. It still makes a racket when overtaking a bit embarrassing really as it seems your thrashing the car when its auto its doing the choices.
m240 not in production since 19 may be out next year with non soft top at 52K so some 10K more.

I think the 3LR is a great compromise, good range, faster 4 wheel drive. still tempted to performance but really never used the m240 power. I never tried it in launch control shame or needed to run in sports mode much it was just fast on the kickdown. like the 3 put foot down and hang onto steering wheel.

The technology is way forward and lots of stuff which would be extras on the bmw.

Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission, but the Tesla takes all the best things about a stick and makes them better. Never in the wrong gear, never miss an up/down shift, no riding the clutch in traffic or on hill starts, but instant responsiveness to the accelerator in a way that just becomes telepathic. Like riding a sport bike but way safer, and you can take the whole family plus luggage. You're going to love it.
This was one of the things that sold me on a Tesla, the direct-drive, feeling like you can hold a gear thing. I'd always driven a manual before my Tesla, I still think it's the best way to completely and precisely exercise control of a combustion engine, the paddle thing just never felt right. The way a Tesla feels like to me is a large capacity V12 that you do not need to shift. Massive linear torque. The performance envelope of this vehicle (lr m3 for me) from 0-100 for $50000 is insane. Performance has been so democratized in the last 30 years. It's so fast.

Reactions: TLej