Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye regen, I'll miss you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2lywr4.jpg

I've switched to scheduled charging so that it finishes just around when I'm about to leave in the morning, which for me means starting to charge around 5:30am. I've had full regen doing this, but we're still warm at 30-45F here in New England. In the thick of winter, where it might hit -10F (and lower in MN and WI), just don't count on regen.

Also, it's not mandatory to set regen to low during winter. I never did this in my RWD S and was just fine. As long as you have good control over the accelerator release, you can control how fast you are slowing the car.

I've switched to scheduled charging so that it finishes just around when I'm about to leave in the morning, which for me means starting to charge around 5:30am. I've had full regen doing this, but we're still warm at 30-45F here in New England. In the thick of winter, where it might hit -10F (and lower in MN and WI), just don't count on regen.

Also, it's not mandatory to set regen to low during winter. I never did this in my RWD S and was just fine. As long as you have good control over the accelerator release, you can control how fast you are slowing the car.

Good advice, I'll probably be changing my scheduled charging as well so that it happens a little before I head to work.

Can't you preheat the car in the morning to also preheat the battery and have at least most regen available

This will use more energy ($$$) preheating than you would lose with lost regen.

Only time it makes sense is if you need maximum range. Or your willing to pay extra $$$ for that regen one pedal behavior.

But you are not saving any money by preheating.

Reactions: Big Earl
There are two issues with losing regen braking in the winter:

Issue 1: you lose regen when the battery is cold (this has been discussed a great deal in this thread)
Issue 2: standard regen is dangerous in snow, there is no ABS with regen so you will lose traction and spin out

If you live in an area prone to snow or are heading into the mountains, remember to turn off standard regen braking.

I've had limited regen for about a week since it got cold up here in the north. This is my first winter with my Model 3, but I'm assuming us unfortunate souls in cold regions can probably kiss our full regen goodbye until spring. It's strange having to use the brakes again. :(
Up here in the high desert of Gigatown, I don't seem to lose any regen after I've driven a few miles. Some mornings the temperature gets into the teens.

Issue 2: standard regen is dangerous in snow, there is no ABS with regen so you will lose traction and spin out

If you live in an area prone to snow or are heading into the mountains, remember to turn off standard regen braking.
Hmmmm, hasn't happened to me in the snow. I wonder what the difference is. I keep regen on all the time and I don't notice any attempt to spin out when it slows down in the snow.

Issue 1: you lose regen when the battery is cold (this has been discussed a great deal in this thread)

Actually there is a third: winter tires on RWD model 3. Not one of us in the Canadian forum has normal regen with winters and RWD. Even when the known conditions you mentioned aren’t present. All weather seems to be ok. Tesla is aware of it.

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

Last edited:
Up here in the high desert of Gigatown, I don't seem to lose any regen after I've driven a few miles. Some mornings the temperature gets into the teens.

It’s only been down to 32F so far and took a good 35 miles to get full regen back.

I’m also in an attached garage. Which is typically 10F warmer.

If you just finished charging then that’s a different deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert

Based on the “lost regen with winter tires” thread I highly suspect the car will detect slippage and shutdown regen automatically.

How soon and how long I have no idea yet.

I know the manual suggests turning it off.

Testing TBD

It’s only been down to 32F so far and took a good 35 miles to get full regen back.

I’m also in an attached garage. Which is typically 10F warmer.
If you just finished charging then that’s a different deal.

Agree if I had just finished charging, but I don't charge at home at night, so the car is really cold in the morning. The garage is not insulated so I notice it is about 25 degrees in there when it is a lot colder outside, so maybe that is enough of a difference. It seems to take me about 10 minutes of driving to get regen back.

Agree if I had just finished charging, but I don't charge at home at night, so the car is really cold in the morning. The garage is not insulated so I notice it is about 25 degrees in there when it is a lot colder outside, so maybe that is enough of a difference. It seems to take me about 10 minutes of driving to get regen back.

Maybe you have heat blasting or something.

25F overnight, I bet would take me an hour to get full regen back (no dots).

I would have partial regen fairly quickly. But not full.

I don’t preheat or anything.