Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

got email describing VPP payout today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, just realized that PG&E gave me full NEM peak time credit for all the kwh's all sent to the grid during the event.
Did you expect otherwise? I don't recall any discussion of concerns that the VPP would change why NEM rules, there were discussions around concerns of emptying PWs during the event and then accumulating NBCs when importing during Peak before the event or after the event was over

Did you expect otherwise? I don't recall any discussion of concerns that the VPP would change why NEM rules, there were discussions around concerns of emptying PWs during the event and then accumulating NBCs when importing during Peak before the event or after the event was over

Yes. I didn't realize they'd allow double dipping. There are many that would volunteer to discharge off peak collected solar at peak times just to use NEM to leverage more grid credit. In this case, we apparently got that plus the $2 / kwh.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Yes. I didn't realize they'd allow double dipping. There are many that would volunteer to discharge off peak collected solar at peak times just to use NEM to leverage more grid credit. In this case, we apparently got that plus the $2 / kwh.
As I mentioned I don't recall anyone raising that as a concern during the 2022 discussion. I went to take a look at the program FAQs and here is what I found:

Tesla VPP FAQ (PG&E):

Will participation in this program impact my electric bill?​

Tesla expects most events this summer to occur during typical peak hours for many Time-of-Use rate plans. Participating in the event will shift energy exports to periods that are later in the day compared to typical exports. If you are eligible for compensation under a Net Energy Metering (NEM) program, you may earn different credit for exporting at different times.

I can see how that might be interpreted as lowering your NEM credit or maybe the $2/kWh, but I think that was really meant that your imported/exported kWh may be in different TOU periods than usual which will change the credits. There were instances of grid charging when solar wouldn't get the Powerwall to 100% by Peak and also delayed Powerall discharge at the start of Peak and Partial Peak which is what I think this section is really referring to here.

The PG&E/Olivine ELRP document only makes a passing reference to NEM as being ok for eligibility with no other mention of impact/non-impact to NEM compenesation.

As I mentioned I don't recall anyone raising that as a concern during the 2022 discussion. I went to take a look at the program FAQs and here is what I found:

I can see how that might be interpreted as lowering your NEM credit or maybe the $2/kWh, but I think that was really meant that your imported/exported kWh may be in different TOU periods than usual which will change the credits. There were instances of grid charging when solar wouldn't get the Powerwall to 100% by Peak and also delayed Powerall discharge at the start of Peak and Partial Peak which is what I think this section is really referring to here.

The PG&E/Olivine ELRP document only makes a passing reference to NEM as being ok for eligibility with no other mention of impact/non-impact to NEM compenesation.
Very informative.

Whatever the case, it raises the value of participating in vpp given my off peak summer rate is 25 cents vs peak at 56 cents.

Very informative.

Whatever the case, it raises the value of participating in vpp given my off peak summer rate is 25 cents vs peak at 56 cents.
Having this help is very dependent on if you are net consumer or net producer on the annual basis. For net producers, like myself, this has no additional impact, but for net consumers (which is likely the majority) this will help, but it will also be offset by imports.

Could you take one of the VPP days, maybe the first one 8/31 that was 5:00-8:00pm, and compare the 4:00-9:00pm Peak period for that day versus the non-VPP the day before (8/31)? I'm curious how the overall net import/export looked like.

Having this help is very dependent on if you are net consumer or net producer on the annual basis. For net producers, like myself, this has no additional impact, but for net consumers (which is likely the majority) this will help, but it will also be offset by imports.

Could you take one of the VPP days, maybe the first one 8/31 that was 5:00-8:00pm, and compare the 4:00-9:00pm Peak period for that day versus the non-VPP the day before (8/31)? I'm curious how the overall net import/export looked like.
cap830.JPG

cap831.JPG

Just deposited mine. Was hoping it would include details on calculation but was just a check. Got more than I expected though.
Same here it was mostly blank. There was a vendor number that ended in 089. Was that the same for others, like it was a PG&E VPP account, or did all of us become Tesla vendors?

At least Tesla is still paying their bills unlike Twitter. 😁

[tables deleted]
Using your the Grid kWh from your tables:
Time​
TOU
8/30/23​
8/31/23​
12:00 PM​
Off​
-6.65​
0.20​
01:00 PM​
Off​
-0.76​
1.33​
02:00 PM​
Off​
-3.87​
-2.44​
03:00 PM​
Partial​
-3.70​
1.32​
04:00 PM​
Peak​
-4.41​
-3.27​
05:00 PM​
Peak​
0.01​
-11.26​
06:00 PM​
Peak​
0.06​
-11.79​
07:00 PM​
Peak​
0.00​
-10.56​
08:00 PM​
Peak​
0.00​
5.15​
09:00 PM​
Partial​
0.00​
3.76​
10:00 PM​
Partial​
-0.02​
3.61​
11:00 PM​
Partial​
0.11​
1.38​
Partial​
-3.61​
10.07​
kWh Totals​
Peak​
-4.34​
-31.73​
NBC​
0.18​
15.22​
Partial​
-$1.59​
$4.43​
Cost​
Peak​
-$2.39​
-$13.96​
NBC​
$0.00​
$0.41​
Total​
-$3.97​
-$9.12​

So the full discharge had a benefit of $5.15 for discharging 35.15 kWh during the three event hours versus the 25.61 kWh spread across the Partial Peak and Peak periods from the day before. The extra 9.54 kWh will need to be recouped the next day from solar and 10.6 kWh will not go to the grid for another reduction of $2.54 (@ $0.24/kWh) bringing the net gain down to $2.61. The big win is that your baseline discharge the prior day was only 4.91kWh and assuming that was the same for all of the 10 prior baseline days you would be getting compensated for 30.24 kWh which $60.48.

The extra discharge did help your NEM balance, but it wasn't a lot.