Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got My 2021 VIN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should we consider it or wait for a 2021?

@BlueberryT tough call. I would say if you need a vehicle quickly (e.g. you don't currently have a working vehicle, you're sharing one with partner and really need two vehicles, etc.) then it's probably wise to try the 2020. You could always reject it outright when you go to pick it up if you notice significant issues. On the other hand, if you're not in a rush (I hate waiting for something once I've made up my mind!), then it's probably worth waiting for a new build. That's just my two cents though.

Holy shitballs, I feel like i'm super lucky. I got the text today and have delivery scheduled for Tuesday. Thats a really fast turnaround, i must have timed everything right or something. Spreadsheet updated

Maybe someone changed their config after the vehicle was built and you were next in line.

If anyone wasn't to cancel with the same config as me, feel free!

Reactions: icculus479
I heard from someone on Reddit that Blue/Black Model Y configs are the most popular and will take the longest right now. I ordered mine on 9/24 and still no VIN.. Hopefully soon!

Yeah, well . . .

Mine is a Blue/Black, Gemini no FSD and I ordered it on 9/5. Still VIN, 6 weeks later.

However, my neighbors are wondering what that post with the white thing mounted on it is doing next to my driveway. :)

UGH. Got a call from SA last night right before they closed saying we were getting our VIN assignment and could pick up this weekend. He said it was just coming from the factory, so I assumed it was a 2021. Then the VIN came through...59xxx. So now I'm going to call this morning and ask to have it taken off so we can try to get a 2021. Bummed, but want to wait for the new year model, especially if there's a range boost. Restarting the clock...

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
UGH. Got a call from SA last night right before they closed saying we were getting our VIN assignment and could pick up this weekend. He said it was just coming from the factory, so I assumed it was a 2021. Then the VIN came through...59xxx. So now I'm going to call this morning and ask to have it taken off so we can try to get a 2021. Bummed, but want to wait for the new year model, especially if there's a range boost. Restarting the clock...
Odd, what was your configuration, color, etc...?

If your order is set to match to a VIN, in nearly all cases, you will get the car within the initial timeframe provided. Not sure I follow your expectation to receive a VIN sooner "just because others have".

Well, I was misled into thinking the timeframes being provided weren't accurate by Tesla employees who said there's hundreds of deliveries happening daily and that I was likely to get mine much sooner.